It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200 Post Minimum to PM, 20 Post Minimum to Create Thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I've been a member here at ATS for around 6 months, give or take. When I respond to a thread, I don't respond with "LOL" or any one-liners. I try to actually THINK about my contribution.

However, I feel the 200 post minimum to PM and 20 post minimum to create a thread encourage one thing for many users: contribute garbage to reach minimums.

I have an idea (which surely won't be implemented, however, I have to try!):
Why not force users to be a member for a day, or a week, before they can even post? I see so many trolls with one-day memberships. Those of us who have legitimate headlines or reasons to PM cannot possibly do that AND contribute valid, valuable responses without contributing garbage unless we are members for months and months.

Forcing people to be members for a period of time would accomplish two goals: (1) it would give a new user an opportunity to actually review the site and (2) it would diminish one-day exclusive troll memberships.

I like this site. No, I love it. But I've had to literally watch headlines roll by, never posted here, because I refuse to contribute trash to reach a minimum.
edit on 3/23/2011 by chasingbrahman because: type-o

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I agree completely with what you were saying. I think that some people will just BS through a ton posts to be able to create a thread or PM. I don;t think that things are going to change however.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I don't believe you need 200 posts to send a PM. I have sent PM's and I don't have 200 posts. Although you need 200 to use the chat feature for the website. I feel the same way about posting useless crap just to get minimums. I've been here for like 4 years and I don't have nearly as many posts as I should.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
where does it state the 200 messages for sending pm's? i thought it was 10 (originaly) ...
to be fair ... its been along long time scince i regged... before the 20 replied to post rule even began

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I admit I had to make a few BS posts to get to 20 so i could post a thread.

I get that people might be making threads to spam, so they might make an account, spam threads... make a new account...spam....and so on... so the 20post min does make some sense

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
You only need 20 posts to send U2Us.

OiO

And if you reply back and say... Hey Thanks! Then you will have your 20! (Well that is if you don't post on another thread, then the Hey Thanks post isn't needed... But you will be able to send U2Us either way!!:up

edit on 23-3-2011 by OneisOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

I've been a member here at ATS for around 6 months, give or take.

Well that explains a lot.
This question has come up many times over the years. I'd refer you to our Search feature here at ATS, BUT I find it unreliable, Suffice it to say the present format has been already debated, discussed and posted on a few times. It is what it is...

Welcome to ATS.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Its 20 posts according to the message I got when I tried to reply to some other member of ATS that had written to me.
Despite that I am completely new here, I think its ok (but not justified) to have some kind of limit,
but I also think that the limit should not apply if its to reply back to other members.
I also dont have enough posts and I also havent written small remarks just to reach the limit.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Although this has been discussed many many times before, here are my thoughts.

The 20 post qualification for new threads or PM's is a method used in order to give members a taste of what ATS is by participating in discussions, as opposed to starting them. It gives a chance for people to learn the rules, understand our strong stance on civility and decorum and does a great job of weeding out the trolls.

You'd be amazed at how quickly trolls are found by staff and the membership when they can only post in the Introductions forum or within other existing threads.

Besides, you can garner 20 meaningful posts in all of 15 minutes if you really wanted to. There are thousands of threads covering thousands of topics and there is bound to be at least 20 right of the bat that anybody could add meaningful insight to.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Meh. Twenty posts ain't much. Gives us a chance to get a feel for the rules around here. And not being able to send messages at first? This is a good thing, I think. I don't want to log on and find an inbox full of spam causing that little green box to harass me over and over again.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Change the 20 posts to 20 stars same with 200 posts-200 stars.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Or free it all more and don't go with so many controls and rules. Give people the right to use the word shill directly in threads and trust more grass roots people monitioring. I'd love a couple novel shill emoticons.
edit on 23-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

lol,GUH!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
the 20 post rule serves a few purposes. the aforementioned opportunity to understand the process here is a major factor for the 20 post rule another is that it also keeps the spam bots from posting their spam and allows those pesky constantly returning banned members to be found prior to posting the same schnitzel over and over and over again

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Although this has been discussed many many times before, here are my thoughts.

The 20 post qualification for new threads or PM's is a method used in order to give members a taste of what ATS is by participating in discussions, as opposed to starting them. It gives a chance for people to learn the rules, understand our strong stance on civility and decorum and does a great job of weeding out the trolls.

You'd be amazed at how quickly trolls are found by staff and the membership when they can only post in the Introductions forum or within other existing threads.

Besides, you can garner 20 meaningful posts in all of 15 minutes if you really wanted to. There are thousands of threads covering thousands of topics and there is bound to be at least 20 right of the bat that anybody could add meaningful insight to.

~Keeper

I guess I'm just not understanding how participating in discussions with responses such as "Oh man, guess I better move to Canada" or "When is this going to stop? They keep doing this and the sheeple just sit there!" might prepare one for posting a topic worthy of discussion. IMHO, forcing a new member to accumulate x number of hours simply reading would accomplish your goals and much more. Not only would they acquire a sense of acceptable decorum within forums, but they might actually have the opportunity to sincerely appreciate the vast breadth of expertise and scopes of knowledge demonstrated by some very impressive members and begin to understand this site as the wealth of information it is - not an idiot's playground. Net output? Thought-provoking responses.

When I see an intelligent discussion conducted among members who obviously are seasoned in a particular discipline and utilizing said discipline to perform analysis, I have no real contribution. It would be like raising my hand in a Stephen Hawking lecture. In short, I've got respect for an attempt at intelligent debate. And I know an opportunity to sit back and learn when I see one.

As stated, I don't expect any changes to be made because of my little post. But since this is the place to be if you're seriously questioning several systems, I thought this one could handle a little interrogation. And you did so both with grace and respect, so thank you.

That said, with all due respect, I challenge anyone to draft 20 meaningful posts in 15 minutes. You will certainly have my undying respect.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I thought there were rules against posting one worders like... LOL etc.. ?

Or even using them to begin with. I admit I DO NOT post 1 worders..however: I have been known to post LOL's , lmaoo, etc..etc.. with content.

edit on 23-3-2011 by tracehd1 because: add

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I agree with the 20 posts rule. As for pm, I think new members, or members who have a small number of posts should be allowed to use the pm function, but only to one member at a time, this way limiting the possible spam..

Still, once you are approved on the forum, as a member you should have access to its functions. IF you do something contrary to the forum rules, THEN you get warned and even banned.

It's how the whole presumption of innocence works. It's why the prosecutors must prove that you are guilty, not you proving that you are not..

I don't mind the limit, because I enjoy this site. That being said, as a new member I am considered "guilty" from the start...therefore unable to start a thread (that could easily be blocked and banned if it were spam) and unable to use pm.

Also, it affects the mentality of the poster. If it wasn't for the limit, I may have not replied here. This way, it counts towards my 20... It sort of forces people to get involved.. The good thing is that many of the subjects here are worth being involved in.

reply to post by Crakeur

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I completely understand and agree with the rule, however, most people are on ATS for weeks, months or even years before they 1st post. I wish you could get credit for "time served" but i guess the whole point is to get people used to CONTRIBUTING!!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Thank you for the information you provided. Was looking to see how many post were needed to post and you were the first one listed. I completely agree with you that you have to think before you speak, well in this case type.

Thanks again,
Ainge

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

yeah i like this website also..but can you plzz tell me how to post my own thread ..cuz i know ive got over 20 posts on other people threads and im getting really mad about..s if you could help me out that would be fantastic

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join