It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Fiery object" seen in sky by many across Southeastern North Carolina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6240bf09ca1.png[/atsimg]

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- A "fiery object" streaking across the sky was reported by dozens in our viewers, and many more across the Carolinas Tuesday evening.

According to eyewitnesses, this object raced through the sky around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and lasted only a matter of 5 to 10 seconds before dissipating.

It is difficult to get an official confirmation without any photo or video evidence, but the most likely explanation is that this was a meteor burning up as it was passing through the atmosphere overhead. It is not known if this object reached ground.

Source

A possible meteorite entering the Earth’s atmosphere Tuesday evening had 911 centers in Southeastern North Carolina fielding multiple phone calls from concerned residents.

Lisa Weldrick, a supervisor at the New Hanover County 911 Communications center, said callers described witnessing what appeared to be a large meteorite crossing the sky at a steep angle before burning out shortly after 7:30 p.m. She said callers described it as a shooting star and one man said it looked like it had three propulsion systems.

Source

Wow. A fiery object! Sounds like this thing was big. The screen capped commenter said it lasted 10 seconds! One guy said it looked like it had three propulsion systems?!! wow I'd love to see some video footage.

Just a normal meteorite shall we suppose?

What say you?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

Cool, it would be great if some video turns up.

Can I ask why you have it in the 2012 forum, I'm wondering what the connection is there??

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Hmmm a bunch of witnesses say meteorite and one guy says propulsion systems? I say he is outnumbered lol.

At any rate, it seems the meteor sightings have been becoming more frequent as of late. If i remember correctly, i think i remember someone on here saying that would happen this year a year or so ago.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
One of the comments in the first article has someone claiming it looked like a triangle.

That coupled with the propulsion thing makes you wonder if this was some kind of craft that possibly malfunctioned while passing through our atmosphere. Since it only lasted a few seconds, we probably won't see a video or picture of it.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
well I missed it.

I am right around the corner
and a skip through the woods
from Kure Beach.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Sounds like a simple bolide to me. Unfortunately, most people aren't versed in astronomy, so when they see one they have no idea what it is and assume that it is something anomalous.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
One of the comments in the first article has someone claiming it looked like a triangle.

That coupled with the propulsion thing makes you wonder if this was some kind of craft that possibly malfunctioned while passing through our atmosphere. Since it only lasted a few seconds, we probably won't see a video or picture of it.

Or perhaps alien intervention

Likely just your larger than average meteor burning up in the atmosphere, though. Wonder if anyone detected this before it came burning in.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
That's interesting, a very good catch!

You know, I was thinking about Nibiru the other day, and today, while coming to work, I thought about trying to spot that planet that is supposedly "next' to the Sun, so we now have a fairly dense almost overcast sky, but the clouds themselves aren't so dense, which transforms them in a natural welder's glass so to speak. It was easy to look at the Sun without all the glare that usually blocks my vision from what could be next to it. Well, today I could spot the sun and everything next to it very easily, and guess what? There was no planet, no stars, no anything next to it. I confess that I was disappointed, for after so much speculation around the internet I really thought there was something to it. Anyway, I live in Brazil, São Paulo, maybe it has anything to see with my geographic position? And sorry for going off-topic, it is just that your post reminded me of Nibiru and I thought I had to comment on that.

Now about your post, I think it is really interesting and probably a reliable source since so many people saw the same thing at the same time. I will keep an eye on this thread and see what develops from here, so far I don't have a solid conclusion on what it could have been. I would guess probably a meteor? Or maybe one of Gandalf's amazing fireworks?

Thanks for sharing!
'

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Here's another source with multiple witness reports:

elpasoallsky.blogspot.com...

There may be images and video soon too.

And some more reports to the AMS

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Reported on WITN:

Calls and emails have been coming into the newsroom about a fireball streaking across the sky Tuesday night.

It appears what people saw was a meteor like the one in the picture accompanying this story, but maybe not quite as big.

We received calls emails and from people in Beaufort County, Kinston, Camp Lejeune, and Winterville all describing the same thing around 7:30: A blue-green fireball streaking across the sky towards the East until it disappeared. No one reports hearing or seeing any impact.

We talked with the National Weather Service out of Newport where officials say they have also had similar reports, but can't confirm for sure that it was a meteor.

www.witn.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Personally, I hope there are no videos or images, at least for me it would strengthen the veracity of the case given the fact that it only lasted 10-30 secs and which are the chances that someone would be recording anything during that time and would have accidentaly seen it? Very very low chances, but not impossible!

edit on 23-3-2011 by kromaion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kromaion

A fair point too, fortunately the first site I linked to is a blog where a few people own all-sky cameras, which point to the sky and capture any bright moving object.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Awww that's good news, I guess then we could expect a video/image appearance anytime soon. Let's hope so!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
Sounds like a simple bolide to me. Unfortunately, most people aren't versed in astronomy, so when they see one they have no idea what it is and assume that it is something anomalous.

Here's one from '92

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The AMS estimates that several thousand fireballs appear every day on Earth.

These events are common and have always been common. The brightest I have witnessed cast shadows on the ground. It was far brighter than the campfire we were sitting around when the fireball passed overhead.

new topics

top topics

join