It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School disabled right click on our laptops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
instead of notebooks and pens and pencils our school decided to go all digital and give us tablet pc's (HP) many websites are blocked (games,shopping,mp3,etc..) for good cause due to the fact we should be studying in class and doing work and not playing games.. even though everyone does.. and even more ironic is that im on ATS in school haha.. but the newest update is the disable of right click on the main screen. anyway around it or to undisable it

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
why would they do that, can you still copy and paste with the ctrl buttons?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
You can try this:

Click on "Start" and select "Run." Type "regedit" into the textbox and hit "OK." This command will open the "Registry Editor" window.

Select "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer."

If there is a value named: "NoViewContextMenu". Change it from a 1 to a 0. Hit "OK"

Close the Registry Editor by selecting "Exit" from the "File" menu. Restart your computer for the change to go into effect.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
yes i can still do that, i can right click per say when i am in a browser but when im on the main screen, it will not let me right click on any icons or anywhere in general like say i wanted to change the background

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by goochball
You can try this:

Click on "Start" and select "Run." Type "regedit" into the textbox and hit "OK." This command will open the "Registry Editor" window.

Select "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer."

If there is a value named: "NoViewContextMenu". Change it from a 1 to a 0. Hit "OK"

Close the Registry Editor by selecting "Exit" from the "File" menu. Restart your computer for the change to go into effect.

cant system restrictions it says

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
You can't modify settings and registry settings on a (school) network, only the administrator can.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeZet
You can't modify settings and registry settings on a (school) network, only the administrator can.

yeah thats what i figured since were not allowed to download most things. i maybe thought there was a way around it though

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by goochball

This would only work if they have admin rights, which they wouldn't. I work for the government in my province essentially on a similar project. The website restrictions are network based, either a block list firewall or a service like websense. Only a proxy service will get you around these (assuming the network left any open ports, ours leaves 443 and 80 alone, so as long as your proxy will pipe through one of those ports, and isn't already blocked, you can get around the filters.)

That said, any attempt to circumvent protection on the device, or network, is against policy and the student could get in a ton of troubling, including expulsion. I would suggest you just deal with it, it's not worth the risk of tinkering around on the schools device.

But disabling right click? That's a little far isn't it?

Anyways, if the school network is windows based, I'd assume the restrictions are GPO (group policy object) based and there is no way around it while being on the school domain. these are handled by a domain controller and passed down to the client and run at logon.
edit on 23-3-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by goochball

This would only work if they have admin rights, which they wouldn't. I work for the government in my province essentially on a similar project. The website restrictions are network based, either a block list firewall or a service like websense. Only a proxy service will get you around these (assuming the network left any open ports, ours leaves 443 and 80 alone, so as long as your proxy will pipe through one of those ports, and isn't already blocked, you can get around the filters.)

That said, any attempt to circumvent protection on the device, or network, is against policy and the student could get in a ton of troubling, including expulsion. I would suggest you just deal with it, it's not worth the risk of tinkering around on the schools device.

But disabling right click? That's a little far isn't it?

Anyways, if the school network is windows based, I'd assume the restrictions are GPO (group policy object) based and there is no way around it while being on the school domain. these are handled by a domain controller and passed down to the client and run at logon.
edit on 23-3-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

yeah ill just deal with it, like you said you could get into a lot of trouble for messing around with it and i do know of a kid who hacked the system and got like 20 demerits and maybe a suspension i dont know but it really isnt worth all that during my senior year. But, as taking matters too far i agree with you 100%, maybe to keep kids from deleting icons and such but i really cannot come up with a good explanation for that one.
edit on 23-3-2011 by Jbones because: review

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It's disabled for a reason.
You should respect that.

Please don't try to circumvent your school policies.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jbones

Can you plug a thumb drive into there? If you can i would just download a linux live CD and run it off the thumb drive.
please note linux sucks, you will not be able to play games but they wont be able to see what you are doing on it and you will be able to surf the net freely. They might have a program to monitor what you do, i know at one of my client's sites they have a program that takes screen shots every 15 min and they get uploaded to a server, they might do something similar to those PCs the school gives you. But with running linux live they will not be able to.
Ubuntu is the easiest to get up and running but there are TONS of different distros out there, just pick one it does not matter. You can ask around to find out what the best one is and it will get you many lulz, the holy war between different linux distros is WAY more heated than the holy war against windows.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
You can download Linux onto a thumb drive, and run a different operating system with out all the restrictions, www.ubuntu.com... tells you how.

You might need to change your boot device order in your bios.

for example
1st boot device, USB
2nd boot device HDD1
3rd boot device CDROM

Make sure the USB is the 1st boot device. Linux will load during start up.

Just don't install Linux over your schools OS. lol
edit on 26-3-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

EDIT: WOW I need to type faster
edit on 26-3-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
YOUR RESTRICTED BY GROUP POLICY ADMIN RIGHTS, IF YOUR IN WINDOWS 7 YOUR SCREWED,
IF ITS XP OR VISTA, YOU CAN BUILD A USB OR FLOPPY THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO RESET THE RIGHTS
ON YOUR PARTICULAR MACHINE,

DO NOT.. PLUG A USB STICK WITH ANY LINUX IN IT INTO A WINDOWS MACHINE THAT IS NETWORK ADMINISTRATED, THE NAZI STORMTROOPERS FROM NETWORK CONTROL AND SECURITY WILL DECEND UPON YOU FROM ALL CORNERS OF THE UNIVERSE....

NETWORK MONTITORING IS SET TO WATCH FOR LINUX, WHICH IS UNIX, WHICH IS THE PREFERED FLAVOR OF ALL PROFESSIONAL HACKERS.... YOU WILL PROB LOOSE YOUR JOB IF YOU DO

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Ignore that guy you wont lose your job. lol
The school probably does not setup to look for linux i really would not worry about it.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ZOMBIEMASTER

Why are you yelling, we can here you.

And no that is a bunch of crap, Linux is not JUST a hacker OS, your not going to lose your job unless you start installing over the original OS.

BTW for blocked websites, try using a program called TOR... Google it.
edit on 29-3-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The only advantage i see for using linux for "hacking" is that you could easily get a live boot cd and then boot to the CD so you can have access to files that are stored from a password protected computer. Great trick for work if your work fires someone and you are the IT guy and need to get into that computer.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ZOMBIEMASTER

OKAY I UNDERSTAND THANKS FOR TELLING US THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION. MY CAPS LOCK KEY IS BROKEN IT HAPPENS I KNOW. SORRY TO BOTHER YOU. HAR HAR HAR

In regards to the OP, yeah Linux is probably the way to go. Schools most of the time don't really know what they are doing. Or maybe that's just my town. The IT guys here are retarded.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I have not seen this posted as of yet but did you try the keyboard shortcut? The GPO might have only been specified for the mouse left click and not the actual menu.

any ways, left click whatever you want to right click, but just to select the object. Then "Shift and F10"

But like it was said, why are you really wanting to left click on the desktop?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vodo34861

But like it was said, why are you really wanting to left click on the desktop?

Who cares!

Read his post....

There is a lot you can do with left click, that makes computer life easier.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
www.artofping.com for firewall stuff...

You could be sneaky and modify the grp policy file then boot her up when she's not connected to the network, so it will use its current policy file rather than updating it (because it cannot connect)

After its booted and you're logged on - THEN connect it to the network. Untill you reboot you're PC the modified settings will work. You'd need to re-do this every reboot as once it conencts to the network it will re-download the latest grp policy file. But it will take untill you're next reboot for it to run that updated file...

Theres all the room you'll have to play with in this situation

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join