It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News Update - Japan Death Toll and Missing Surpasses 24,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Hi All,

Normally i would post a headline such as this in the breaking news forum but being that Japan has managed to have it's own forum opened i am placing it here.

Japan's dead or missing surpasses 24,000

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 » 07:32pm

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f9876568e162.jpg[/atsimg]

The number of people confirmed dead or listed as missing in Japan surpassed 24,000 on Wednesday, 12 days after a massive earthquake and tsunami struck the country's northeast coast.

There are fears of a much higher toll from the disaster, which flattened entire towns along the Pacific coast of northern Honshu island.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/22833196edbb.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da286a70ab62.jpg[/atsimg]

The National Police Agency said 9408 people had been confirmed dead and 14,716 officially listed as missing - a total of 24,124 - as of noon (1400 AEDT) on Wednesday as a result of the March 11 catastrophe.

A total of 2746 people have been injured.

Meanwhile, workers were evacuated from part of a stricken nuclear power station in Japan on Wednesday after dark smoke was seen rising from one of the reactors, the plant operator said.

Full Story - Bigpond News AU

I recall in the hours following the disaster, and whilst discussing it on ATS one of the member's said '' wow there are going to be hundreds dead '' even then i knew looking at some of those scary images and news footage of the power and verocity of the Tsunami that the human toll would be much higher.

I wanted to post this thread out of rememberance for all those people that did not survive and that are still unaccounted for.

All i have heard on the news for the past week or so is about the Nuclear crisis, which i understand is very dangerous and equally important but it seems that many MSM outlets have forgotten about the original tragedy!

To all the people of Japan, my thought's and prayers are with you......

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It's very sad this has happened, there was nothing anyone could of done, just sitting ducks basically.

R.I.P.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Alpal

Yeah hardly any real warning, although it's hard to place blame for that... it happened so quickly and i dont think they ever expected the Tsunami to be so powerfull.

One of the clips i have seen of the wave hitting the shore, the breakwater crashed almost 5-6 stories high.... scary stuff.

This is the wave hitting the shore, all the white spray is the waving crashing against the shore;

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eaf1731e0ce7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5b25a91ea1a.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is the youtube clip, the actual footage from above is at 4:20 approx, but the whole clip is so sad and shows the power of the wave.....

edit on 23-3-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

24000 dead or missing now, but the radiation will kill and affect countless more for generations to come, this horror story is still yet to unfold.
So sad and scary for JAPAN.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

My thoughts, prayers and spirit are with you as well JAPAN.... S&F for the empathy/compassion for the species.
God bless
edit on 3/23/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I really don't have the words..

This set of ongoing tragedies will be in the history books. I feel for the Japanese. I hope that they can get a sense of normalcy back sometime soon.

I hope that families are reunited with the missing. I hope that parents find their children. I hope that wives find their husbands. I just hope for the best.

I would like to see more being done for them.
edit on 23-3-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
It's definatly horrible, and along with radiation crisis... shocking.

I just feel so bad for the people stuck there, with no evac centre's no where to go and no supplies. The crisis was so big the government just wasnt prepared for it on such a large scale.

I get annoyed at MSM news reports because now all we hear about is the Nuclear plant and radiation, all the now homeless people, survivors and the still rising death toll isnt being mentioned much at all.

It's also winter over there and snowing in many places, just imagine being stuck outside at night with no where to go??

Snow pours misery on disaster-ravaged Japan

ABC News

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eda94d65486c.jpg[/atsimg]

Heavy snowfall in Japan's quake and tsunami zone is hampering the efforts of authorities picking through the debris.

In towns, cities and villages along Japan's north-east coast, hundreds of bodies are being pulled from the rubble each day.

While the official toll of dead and missing is about 11,000, it will rise in the coming days as the search for survivors and bodies continues after Friday's earthquake and tsunami.

The Department of Foreign Affairs says 55 Australians are unaccounted for in the disaster zone.

Blizzard-like conditions in the region means getting around on roads is difficult.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6fd1a9d322db.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/551fa305fbb3.jpg[/atsimg]

Fuel has mostly run out for residents, but even if they had it and wanted to leave, many roads are cut because of the snow.

The government has warned that panic buying in towns and cities not directly affected by the twin disasters could hurt its ability to provide aid to the devastated areas.

Full Story - ABC News

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Just a further update i would like to add in regard to the still rising death toll of this disaster -

Tsunami victims put in mass grave

March 24, 2011 1:48AM

RELATIVES wept and soldiers saluted as dozens of tsunami victims in simple wooden coffins were buried in a mass grave in a city in northeast Japan overwhelmed by death.

With makeshift morgues close to overflowing and crematoriums unable to keep pace with the numbers of bodies, the Japanese authorities have taken the drastic step of using mass burial sites as temporary resting places.

The burials in Higashimatsushima began on Tuesday and 60 bodies have now been interred in a series of 50 metre-long trenches dug at the site of a former recycling centre on the outskirts of the town, including 36 yesterday.

Japanese usually cremate their dead, but the normal system has been unable to cope with the impact of the March 11 tsunami. The confirmed death toll stands at more than 9400 with nearly 15,000 more missing.

"At the local crematorium, we can only cremate six bodies a day, and that just isn't enough for the situation we have here," said municipal official Hatsuhiro Kono.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5509ecce6fc3.jpg[/atsimg]

Kono said 400 more bodies were awaiting burial and with corpses being recovered from the devastated area on a daily basis the local government is preparing for a final count of up to 1000 at the mass grave.

Full Story - News.com.au

Although i understand that currently the amount bodies being found is so in such numbers that they have no other choice, mass graves are always a sad thing to see. In some cases entire familes have been killed and will never have a proper buriel... very sad

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Its just going from bad to worse.
I knew it was snowing, but blizzard conditions.

And to top it off, food, fuel shortages and contaminated air and water. What next?
These poor people must think they are in some type of nightmare.
I coundn't imagine being in their shoes.

And i agree our MSM has quickly forgotten about the people of Japan. All our news seems to care about now concerning Japan is the outcome this my have on the stock exchange and shareholders.WTF

ETA. Just seen the mass grave, That is so sad.
All those people dead and no one to say goodbye them

edit on 23-3-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Yeah it's amazing how quickly the human cost is forgotten and the MSM starts to look at the economics and political issue's.... oh but dont worry about the 100,000+ survivors with no wheer to go and no home or work

Freezing temp's, lack of food, water, supplies and petrol and of course now radiation poisioning.

Then they have the cheek to tell people to evacuate but these people have no way of getting out, many roads and highway's are still blocked and cut off by debris and wreckage. No petrol to drive anywhere...

No electricity, gas or safe water... but no one seems to talk that about on the news

new topics

top topics

join