It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation level at Fukushima exceeds norm 1,600 times – IAEA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Scource: Russia Today

The International Atomic Energy Agency announced on Tuesday that the level of radiation within 20 kilometers from the Fukushima facility exceeds the norm 1,600 times.

This is extremely concerning, it will be interesting to see the effects such exposure to radiation will cause to the surrounding area. Are there any nuclear experts here that can give us a better understanding of what is happening?
Scary stuff, is all I can say. I wish well to all the Japanese people involved in this disaster.

"The result of the contamination will not just end after the event,” he said. “It will be handed down from generation to generation.”

”I have four daughters, the first two have leukemia, another has breast cancer. The results of a disaster will be shown in generations to come," Yoshiro Yamawaki added.

edit on 23-3-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
MSM isn't playing this type of coverage as much anymore because they for certain that it's getting way too bad for anyone to actually deal with anymore.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Here's another article i picked up this evening on Bigpond;

Radiation in Tokyo water, babies at risk

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 » 05:11pm

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77f599928293.jpg[/atsimg]

Radioactive iodine that exceeds the level considered safe for infants has been detected in Tokyo's tap water, a city government official said on Wednesday.

The official told reporters a water treatment centre in downtown Tokyo that supplies much of the city's tap water had found that some water contained 210 becquerels per litre of iodine 131.

Full Story - Bigpond News AU

This disaster will have follow on effects for years to come, not only financial but also adverse health effects. If i were living in Japan i would be doing anything i could to get out of there.
edit on 23-3-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Here is another article regarding food imports from Japan to the USA - ( normally would start a thread, but the Japan crisis is being covered so much that i thought i would just add it as a reply )

US halts food imports from Japan
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 »

The US Food and Drug Administration says it will halt imports of dairy products and produce from the area of Japan where a nuclear reactor is leaking radiation.

The FDA said on Tuesday that those foods will be detained at entry and will not be sold to the public. The agency previously said it would just step up screening of those foods.

Read More - Bigpond News AU

--------------------------------------------------

Japan PM halts farm shipments near nuke plant;

Japan's Prime Minister Naoto Kan has ordered two prefectures affected by radiation leaks from the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant to stop shipping a range of farm products.

Kan told prefectural governors to halt shipments of 'komatsuna' green leaf vegetables and broccoli from Fukushima, and untreated milk and parsley from neighbouring Ibaraki, Jiji Press and other media said.

Full Story - Bigpond

France urges Japan produce controls on imports / exports -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d280882cbdb7.jpg[/atsimg]

France has urged the European Commission to impose 'systematic controls' on imports of fresh produce from Japan into the EU, amid fears of nuclear contamination, the agriculture ministry said on Tuesday.

On Monday and Tuesday 'France has called on the European Commission to introduce a harmonised European control scheme and therefore put in place systematic controls for all fresh produce reaching Europe's borders,' from Japan,' a ministry official said.

'We hope this decision will be taken as soon as possible,' the agriculture ministry added.

France itself has already introduced such checks on food imports from Japan amid fears of contamination from the quake-stricken Fukushima nuclear power plant.

Full Story

I cant help but think about all the survivors that no one seems to talk about on the MSM. There are thousands of survivors all around the radiation effected area's

What are they supposed to do? What are they lving on day by day? No power, no water, contaminated food and supplies.....
edit on 23-3-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
If they do not end the radiation leaks soon, the cumulative effects on the global population will be undeniable! This is akin to the Gulf oil disaster and is being covered up to protect the guilty corporations who continue to put mankind at risk in the name of profits. I recently viewed several maps that showed Cesium-137 blanketing the entire Northern Hemisphere already! Breathing this stuff in is one thing. Having it settle into the ground and contaminating the ground water and crops are completely different, as ingensting this stuff WILL kill you!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

level of radiation within 20 kilometers from the Fukushima facility exceeds the norm 1,600 times.

[color=deepskyblue]
Probably a silly question here...

Do they mean that it is 1600 times the limit or did it exceed the limit 1600 individual times???

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

I think they meant 1,600 times the legal and safe limit for humans.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

[color=dodgerblue]The way it was worded made me question it. I can't believe that this is happening on top of everything else. My heart goes out to them..
edit on 23-3-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

top topics

join