It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel may have to start Operation Cast Lead 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
'Israel may have to launch fresh operation against Gaza'

Silvan Shalom says IDF has to consider possibilities, although war would 'bring region to more combustible situation'; Minister Livnat: Israel may have to start Operation Cast Lead 2.

Vice Premier Silvan Shalom warned Wednesday that Israel may have to consider launching a fresh military offensive against the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip, following days of rocket and mortar shell fire on the western Negev.

This whole thing has been brewing for at least 2 weeks, the talks about Operation Cast Lead 2... this would sure heat up things around the middle-east even more.

Especially when the new Egyptian government says they are opening the Gaza-Egypt border.

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that Egypt informed Hamas that Rafah crossing point will be open in both directions, a few days after it has been open for people trapped in Egypt.

A small war is starting along Gaza border

What began as a local escalation is steadily transforming into a broader conflict that the sides will apparently have difficulty stopping.

While the headlines are focusing on the Katsav trial, the protests in Syria and the implications of the earthquake in Japan, a small war has been going on for a week now along the Gaza border.

Israeli communities near the border are receiving a daily dose of mortars and rockets, and the Israel Air Force has been attacking Gaza. What began as a local escalation is steadily transforming into a broader conflict that the sides will apparently have difficulty stopping, though it's doubtful either side has an interest in reaching that point.

Israeli jets strike Gaza after Hamas offers truce

Israeli jets carried out at least five air strikes in the Gaza Strip late on Monday in which 17 people were wounded, mostly lightly, Palestinian emergency workers said.

They said that two women and seven children were among those hurt.

Palestinian witnesses said that among the targets were a police post of the Islamic Hamas movement, which rules Gaza, and a training facility of its military wing, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades which earlier offered to stop cross-border fire into Israel if the Israelis halted attacks on Gaza.

edit on 23-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Well, they do not seem to get the message, therefore something needs to be done. If it means sending a bigger message then they only bring it on themselves.

Time for the stars of 'Pallywood' to dust off their wardrobe, stage is set.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
This is when the hypocrisy of the west gets exposed and why we will never have peace in the ME, At the moment we are meant to be in an operation in Libya to stop a masacre of rebels, Yet when the bombs start falling on innocent people in the Gaza strip, we will keep quiet. !,400 innocent palestinians lost their lives last time and no one seemed to care. I know the situations are different, but its about perception.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
After Operation Cast Lead I until today (roughly 3 years), Hamas and other organizations in Gaza, like Jihad Islami, were extremely quiet (well, they did launched some mortars, some ambush attacks) compared to pre-Cast Lead I.
Couple days ago, they decided to launch 54 mortars into Israel...in like 15 minutes.

I wonder what changed since Operation Cast Lead I until now...Gaza had same blockade in place, israeli troops didn't made any incursions inside (apart a few hundred meters in, after the ambush that caused one israeli soldier to die-of friendly fire, but still died).

Well, lets see...Some time ago, there were small protests against Hamas.Not very good for them.In terms of comparing the arab rulers in Tunisia and Egypt or Lybia, Hamas is as ''good'' as any other arab ruler is.They are richer and have a much much higher living standard than their fellow gazans.
I am not saying that they started the shelling because they afraid of same fate as other arab leaders now: 2 ousted, one under allied and rebels attacks.

To be perfectly honest...Hamas see that also in Syria are protests.Small ones, but still, many died there in south, and this can lead to ousting Assad, or at least to a greater uprising in Syria.
I see a pattern here, with all ME uprisings, and after the rebels in Lybia got on their side defected army units and now in Yemen, the rebels have on their side also defected army units, including generals, it is possible that the same can happend in Syria...and if this continue, this can also happend in Iran.

My opinion is that Hamas masters, Iran and Syria, are afraid of their ppl.And what can save them from an uprising or delay an uprising similar with Egypt, Lybia, Tunisia or Wemen one?Not hard to answer : Israel.
A conflict now with Israel will be perfect for Ahmadinejad and Assad, and by extent, to Hamas and Hezbollah.

I think taht if Hamas will continue pounding Israel with rockets and mortars, including long range Grads, Operation Cast lead II is inevitable.Its win-win in their minds : either Israel will only resort to small punctual retaliations or a greater operation involving tanks, troops inside Gaza, its good for Hamas.Not for Palestininas, but Hamas don't give a s.hit about the people.

I could bet 10:1 that Hamas will continue launching attacks on border patrols or border points and launching mortars and rockets into Israel.
I cannot bet, atm, that this will lead to Cast Lead II.All depends on the gravity of attacks, meaning either victims either too many in small window time frames.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

You talk about hypocrisy, yet you “forget” to mention the the Palestinian rocket and mortar attacks by the dozens in the past 2 weeks.
Now, that is true hypocrisy. Star for ya.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I can never fathom this situation. From an overall perspective:

One side fires large numbers of 'home-made' rockets into the other side. These cause such low numbers of casualties and not a great deal of destruction to property' In the cold light of day these rockets seem pretty ineffectual considering the number fired. They apear not to have destroyed any major facility.

Periodically the other side launches an attack with its arsenal of professional weaponry made for warfare and its professional army. Now this side effectively destroys residential property, commercial property such as, power stations, aid centres and the international airport as well as creating casualties in huge numbers, etc, etc

So now Operation Cast Lead 11is about to commence. One only commences an operation when one wants to achieve something. The only thing left is the lives and will of the other side's people, so is this a cull? Surely the well armed side could years ago have invested their scientists and money into a defence system against those little rockets, wiith digital technology its most likely possible but of course not, if you don't research it properly.

Neither side has any sense behind its actions which they claim internationally are taken to achieve certain objectives.

There is also that horrid nagging little voice that says one side might be using the distration of the world to launch an attack whilst everyone is looking at the horrors of the Japanese, Libyan and many other situations, because it knows it may well get away with less coverage of its actions by the media and eyes of the world.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Perhaps Iran could be persuaded to enforce a no-fly zone? Just trying to be helpful...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by winston_jones
Perhaps Iran could be persuaded to enforce a no-fly zone? Just trying to be helpful...

Hahaha, that is priceless!

Really I am floored with amusement, good one.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Good one.

Blast on Jerusalem Bus: 20 Wounded, 4 Seriously

Now that this has happened... a new war is probably 99% assured.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
WW3 Certainly not, The West has too many people already tied up elsewhere and needs to balance their books cos of those banks - wonder who owns the majority of them and where their loyalty lies, I bet I could hazard a correct guess.. If anyone thinks my sons would sign up for WW3 you are off your trolley.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skellon

Hahaha, that is priceless!

Really I am floored with amusement, good one.

It's not amusing ,its inspiring .Secondline.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
And watch the stupidity of the liberal masses clamor against Israel for its war crimes.

THEY are being attacked, and yet will get attacked for their response.

If the Palestinians stop harboring terrorists, and supporting/tolerating Hamas, they wont have to worry about a possible IDF Cast led 2.

What they should worry about is changing their #ing government.

Whatever happens is up to them.

Hundreds of missilies have been coming in from Gaza and hitting Israeli towns. How would you like it if that was happening to you?! Seriously. Put yourself in Israels shoes.

The IDF response was a completely just response. What isnt just is shooting rockets into Israeli towns, and than claiming todays Jerusalem attack was in response to IDF activities in Gaza. Who started it? Who wants peace? Who keeps shooting missilies into Israel and forcing a response to self defense?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Lynda101

Another good reason to let the banks that deserve to fail do so is that they are so heavily invested in by Arab sheiks.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Things will heat up A LOT real soon.

Netanyahu is coming back from his trip in Russia tonight, and they are preparing something BIGGER than Cast Lead.

This is all I'll say for now.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
and the walls...come tumbling down

Style Council

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
reply to post by Lynda101

Another good reason to let the banks that deserve to fail do so is that they are so heavily invested in by Arab sheiks.

You got me thinking especially when I peeked at a post listing how much money this little lot of Arab 'ruling' Families hold. Saudis 1 Trillion$ here charity begins at home and stays at home. The Yemen astounded me their Family holds 40 million $. They have to import some oil and have huge amounts of aid going into that country, so how on earth
is that family worth 40 million$ But we then go onto Mr Gaddaffi he only has 2 million $ yet naturally with all the goodwill in the world our politicians decide to pay him a visit .

Naturally some of this money will be esconsed in theWorld and Western banking system and I would also be very, very interested to see a similar list of personal wealth for the owners of the those Banking systems, including also BOE and the Fed - will they rival our Sheiks or, could they make them look like paupers? Who knows.

new topics

top topics

join