It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe this idea can reduce radiation leak in Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
my idea is that...
i have read in books that sand and cement and lead can be used to bloack nuclear radiation.
as we currenly cannot implement it inside the reactor as they are hot right now.

so what we can do is build up sand piles all around the walls of the nuclear reactors from outside..
these sand piles may be coated with cement and may be mixed with lead..

i believe this will reduce the leakage at least by a little bit...
hope it helps...
edit on 23-3-2011 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps title

edit on 23-3-2011 by vi3k6i5 because: more details to put

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
whut

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

what i am saying is...

at the boundary walls of the reactors put large amount of sand from outside.. scaling up to the top...
mix sand with lead if possible..

this is the idea

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by vi3k6i5

You do know that technique is used when nuclear waste is being put under ground by about half a mile or so...

Jamie

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Something like this would be a good idea now to prevent radiation from getting out, but it would also render the reactor pretty unusable in the future. They're going to have to remove the spent rods and whatever else is inside eventually, whether they're going to rebuild it or not.
I still don't understand why they were trying (experimenting) to find a good solution during the height of the meltdown.. Your solution would have definitely been viable. There's plenty of sand to go around, and dropping a mixture of sand and concrete into the already watered reactors may have prevented a lot of radiation getting out.
But I think their plan from the get go was to cool down the reactors so they can basically get them up and running again. Which is pretty ridiculous, so I'm hoping that's not the case.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
It has already been suggested

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by pandapowerjamie

thanks, but i do know that.
but that is the case when they are being permanently buried.
what i am saying is, as the radiation is leaking through the walls surrounding the reactor cores so it might be possible to surround it all with lots of sand mixed with lead or so, so as to temporarily reduce the leakage.
may be not by 100% but by a significant amount.
may be...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BeatSymphonic

Actually, they've said repeatedly that these reactors won't be usable in the future because of all the salt water used to try to cool them down.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BeatSymphonic

earlier when disaster struck they were thinking of saving the reactor. but now they are sure they will have to bury the reactor. they are just waiting for the reactor core to cool down before doing so.
what i am suggesting is that meanwhile surround it with sand and lead so that food and water and people can be protected to a better degree

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah
It has already been suggested

I am glad someone is talking sense and being realistic here about what consequences are coming.

I don't want to lose Japan
. It could be the worst nightmare our society ever faced since ww2.

Please just bury that stupid thing.

edit on 23-3-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
What you're essentially saying is they should bury it under some kind of sarcophagus made of cement, sand, and perhaps some lead. Like what they did in Chernobyl. I believe news reports have indicated that this is being considered as a last resort by the government, and before they implement it, they want to try and cool the reactors.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
they still have to permanently and safely solve Chernobyl disaster yet

cant imagine something like this to be fixed on an internet forum really

but you never know ..power to the keyboard

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
as we can see...

Tests detect radiation above limits for infants in Tokyo water

i think with the billions of alien earths estimated its better we start looking for another planet

top topics

join