It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Lights Live Update Map

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Greetings:

This thread will map "earthquake lights" of all types by date, time, location and include a user-generated description of the event. We will color-code the events much like the earthquake maps so as to be able to readily discern the latest events worldwide.

All responses will be mapped real-time as you are the reporters and publishers of the information and we shall see if any type of pattern presents itself. We can cross-link to similar maps that other members are doing such as "Rumbling noise being heard around the world..." and others that you, the interested members, bring to the table.

Here is a brief overview of this phenomena to get us started.

Description: Area around Mt. Kimyo, 0325 (JST), September 26, 1966.(Matsushiro Quake, Japan)

Courtesy of the Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, taken by T. Kuribayashi at 03:25 JST on 26th September 1966, by Mt. Kimyo, Japan. It was one of the photographs of the Matsushiro quake that brought EQLs to the brink of being officially recognized and studied. The luminousity lasted approximately 90 seconds, and the camera was pointing north.

Earthquakes have long been accompanied by the appearance of "bright, luminescent, multicoloured sky glows" that can take place any time before, during, or after the seismological event. They've been recorded throughout history, but modern science has only started to take them seriously since the photographs of the Matsushiro earthquake lights taken by Yutaka Yasui between 1965 and 1967. There have since been extensive observations of several events, but the phenomenon currently remains unexplained.

The first recorded mention of earthquake lights comes from Callisthenes (not Thucydides as is commonly reported), who wrote of an earthquake of 373 BC that "[a]mong the many prodigies by which the destruction of the two cities, Helice and Buris, was foretold, especially notable were both the immense columns of fire and the Delos earthquake." Powell and Finkelstein (1971) quote an old Japanese haiku that has been subsequently re-quoted in almost every EQL summary written:

The earth speaks softly
To the mountain
Which trembles
And lights the sky.

Source

Earthquake Light

An earthquake light is an unusual luminous aerial phenomenon that reportedly appears in the sky at or near areas of tectonic stress, seismic activity, or volcanic eruptions. Once commonly challenged, it was not until photographs were taken during the Matsushiro earthquake swarm in Nagano, Japan, from 1965 through 1967, that the seismology community acknowledged their occurrence.

Appearance
The lights are reported to appear while an earthquake is occurring, although there are reports of lights before or after earthquakes, such as reports concerning the 1975 Kalapana earthquake. They are reported to have shapes similar to those of the auroras, with a white to bluish hue, but occasionally they have been reported having a wider color spectrum. The luminosity is reported to be visible for several seconds, but has also been reported to last for tens of minutes.

Accounts of viewable distance from the epicenter varies, in the 1930 Idu earthquake, lights were reported up to 70 miles from the epicenter. Earthquake lights were reportedly spotted in Tianshui, Gansu, approximately 400 km north-northeast of the earthquakes epicenter. The phenomenon was also widely observed and caught on film during the 2007 Peru, 2008 Sichuan, 2009 L'Aquila,[5] and 2010 Chile earthquakes. The phenomenon was also reported around the Aimuri Earthquake in New Zealand, that occurred 1 September 1888. The lights were visible in the morning of 1 September in Reefton, and again on the 8th of September.

Extraordinary rainbow colored “lights” observed in China skies.

Theories
Earthquake lights are caused by an unknown mechanism. There are numerous theories as to how and why they occur.

One explanation involves intense electric fields created piezoelectrically by tectonic movements of rocks containing quartz.

Another possible explanation is local disruption of the Earth's magnetic field and/or ionosphere in the region of tectonic stress, resulting in the observed glow effects either from ionospheric radiative recombination at lower altitudes and greater atmospheric pressure or as aurora. However, the effect is clearly not pronounced or notably observed at all earthquake events and is yet to be directly experimentally verified.

There is also debate in the scientific community regarding radon as a possible precursor to some earthquakes, so another theory is that glowing clouds might be light emission produced by ionization or plasma-chemical reactions. Wiki

"...so-called earthquake lights."

And this from New Scientist in April 2008. This certainly adds a new twist to "predicting" earthquakes.

Can unusual clouds signal the possibility of an impending earthquake? That's the question being asked following the discovery of distinctive cloud formations above an active fault in Iran before each of two large earthquakes occurred.

Geophysicists Guangmeng Guo and Bin Wang of Nanyang Normal University in Henan, China, noticed a gap in the clouds in satellite images from December 2004 that precisely matched the location of the main fault in southern Iran. It stretched for hundreds of kilometres, was visible for several hours and remained in the same place, although the clouds around it were moving. At the same time, thermal images of the ground showed that the temperature was higher along the fault. Sixty-nine days later, on 22 February 2005, an earthquake of magnitude 6.4 hit the area, killing more than 600 people.

In December 2005, a similar formation again appeared in the clouds for a few hours. Sixty-four days later, an earthquake of magnitude 6 shook the region. Source

One might postulate that the clouds had nothing to do with the quake because of the time between the events. It is interesting that the gap in the clouds precisely lined up with the quake fault line. So are they now scanning for unusual (gaps that are stationary) occurrences in cloud formations worldwide as similar in those two instances in Iran to possibly aid in the prediction of earthquakes?

And here we have further evidence of odd occurrences surrounding earthquakes in the form of lights and odd radio sounds correlating to earthquakes.

For decades, researchers have detected strange phenomena in the form of odd radio noise and eerie lights in the sky in the weeks, hours, and days preceding earthquakes. But only recently have experts started systematically monitoring those phenomena and correlating them to earthquakes.

A light or glow in the sky sometimes heralds a big earthquake. On 17 January 1995, for example, there were 23 reported sightings in Kobe, Japan, of a white, blue, or orange light extending some 200 meters in the air and spreading 1 to 8 kilometers across the ground. Hours later a 6.9-magnitude earthquake killed more than 5,500 people. Sky watchers and geologists have documented similar lights before earthquakes elsewhere in Japan since the 1960s and in Canada in 1988.

Recent reports from Florida indicate an increase in "sounds" that have no apparent origination. Is it possible that it ties in to the following?

Another sign of an impending quake is a disturbance in the ultralow frequency (ULF) radio band--1 hertz and below--noticed in the weeks and more dramatically in the hours before an earthquake. Researchers at Stanford University, in California, documented such signals before the 1989 Loma Prieta quake, which devastated the San Francisco Bay Area, demolishing houses, fracturing freeways, and killing 63 people.

Both the lights and the radio waves appear to be electromagnetic disturbances that happen when crystalline rocks are deformed--or even broken--by the slow grinding of the earth that occurs just before the dramatic slip that is an earthquake. Although a rock in its normal state is, of course, an insulator, this cracking creates tremendous electric currents in the ground, which travel to the surface and into the air. Source

Lights, similar in description to ones seen in Chile during the earthquake.

The magnitude 8.8 earthquake in Chile, according to several witnesses on the ground, was preceded by a mysterious light in the sky in much the same way that two other earthquakes had witnesses come forward.  The Haiti earthquake, and the earthquake in Sichuan, China in 2008 both reported mysterious "eerie lights" above the sky, one of which was videotaped and broadcast on national news. Source

It is apparent that there is a lot that can be learned in this experiment and it looks to be quite interesting indeed.

Here is the map.
Earthquake Lights Map

May your 2011 see you embracing its highest potential. Onward through the fog.

In Peace & Light
tfw

American Red Cross

Dodged a Solar Bullet

Cometgate! Elenin + 2005 YU55 + Nibiru

Surviving the American Food Crisis of 2011

Will America's Nuclear Power Plants Fail in an 8.0 Earthquake?

The Domino Effect of February 2011 - I Had a Dream About America's Future

edit on 22/3/2011 by thorfourwinds because: lynx

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
You need to fix the Earthquake Lights map

It isn't working so far.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

I saw prisim cloud anomaly in Memphis, Tn. on 3/11/11. Furthermore, a woman in Memphis reported seeing this disturbing cloud again today. I am scrambling to get the details.....Will keep you posted.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This is what ye ole got to be watchin for to add to the map above

edit on 25-3-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gringoboy

Greetings:

Gringoboy, my friend:

Are you telling me that in over 1,000 views, the reason that no one has posted to the Earthquake Lights Map Live Update is that Earthquake Lights do not exist?

And I was thinking of adding "smells" to the map.

Are you telling me that in over 1,000 views, not one person knows anyone that has ever seen an earthquake light?

Are earthquake lights, indeed, that rare?

Do I need to start a new thread and post "I SEEN WHAT THE RUMBLING NOISE IS WITH A LIGHT BEFORE THE EARTHQUAKE" to get noticed?

Does it even matter in the scope of things?

Oh well. So be it.

I'll get back to finishing Cometgate-Part Two, and not worry about predicting earthquakes by combining all the seeming unrelated anomalies in a single database that could prove to be timely - and perhaps prove to save lives - if people had the inclination to do something other than carp and snipe at each other...as I said before - many times - Time is short!

Cometgate - Part One

BTW, you're right about the map thingy - over 1,000 viewers - not a single person stepped up to the plate - it was a test...

Earthquake Lights Map Live Update

Thank you for your time and consideration.

These challenges to life and sanity on this planet must be met with clear minds and sound hearts, so may your 2011 see you embracing its highest potential and onward through the fog!

In Peace & Light

tfw

Global Emergency & Disaster Info

Dodged a Solar Bullet

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Saw you posting about and describing and earthquake prediction model that sounded pretty interesting I would love to bounce ideas to you for it, as i just enjoy doing that. i am an electrical and acoustic engineer with more leanings on the r&d side of things However, i do not know all that much about earthquakes, so i hope you can bear with my ignorance

I have long suspected that in the tension before an ensuing quake, there would be specific magnetic anomalies. the only issue is data collection and pattern emergence. Have you thought about building a specific test platform for this? would be interesting to see what a scale model would elucidate. it could basically be two test mediums to represent plates in various ways. then test it with a strong magnetic field penetrating it (as a magnet under the medium, measured above the medium), and also test it as the two plates acting as electro-magnets. As the test mediums build pressure, one would monitor the em fields present around the entire test platform for any changes and patterns that may occur leading up to, during, and after a simulated quake.

Something like that would allow for repeated testing, and if designed properly, not just for em patterns.

I type very, very fast, so please forgive messages of length?

I look forward to your posts of any length, as I have seen you out there and am an admirer. Here is a 'lengthy' post of my own for consideration.

i just forgot some

I wanted to also mention that if the idea behind the testing platform is able to represent real world mechanics, at least from a pattern standpoint, then applied in a little different manner, it could test for elenin as well. i cant discount the idea that elenin may actually be a highly magnetic object.

I dont know how much you know about magnets, but i dont need to go too in depth to explain one of my hypotheses. So, when you have say, three magnets, the one in the center will prefer to be opposing to the ones on the outside. If you create a line of magnets that are linked, they will want to switch polarities back and forth with each magnet. I have suspected that when the earth is that center magnetic field between two very strong magnets (like the sun and "x") then depending on the orientation of those magnetic fields, the earths field will want to flip its polarity. or, at the very least move around. This magnetic influence would likely affect everything from mass distribution to possibly even plate movement.

The testing platform could also test how an outside strong magnetic influence, of varying polarity differences, would affect a "close-by" magnetic field, and the things contained within it (plate movement, specifically).

Sorry for jabbering on, as i said, i type fast
(over 120 wpm) Hopefully it was interesting though and not just some gibberish

Greetings sinohptik:

Greetings My Friend!

I'm also going to copy this to the thread for all to see - perhaps there are others who wish to be involved.

So sorry to have missed this until now!

I do not know why a pop-up did not alert me to these messages.

Now I know why Universe disallowed anyone posting to the site - obviously another test - they're coming much closer together these days - 1,547 views as this moment and not ONE posting to the map.

How is that possible? This is the comment I posted there days ago.

I have no idea in the world why no one has entered any information after over 900 views. No comments, no ratings, no info...

Is it that not one of the viewers has never seen this phenomena or has a friend that has?

And I was thinking of adding pre-quake smells to the map.

Is it that the map is difficult to place the info on?

Get a hold of me on ATS and I will assist.

Is it that the possibility of such a system - if at all possible - scares people?

Perhaps I dream too big for non-dreamers to envision success. Not that that's bad, just saying.

Is it that no one really cares?

What can I do to make this work better?

???

OK, enough of the past...onward through the fog.

I am extremely interested in your hypothesis and offer of collaboration. I heartily accept and how can I help you?

I have done quite a bit of research on solar flares, geomagnetic fields and related phenomena and "Comet Elenin." I am good at and enjoy research. I co-habitate with a Snow Leopard Macintosh G5 and my office looks like a small Kinko's.

What if Elenin was a tiny piece of a neutron star? That might explain the gravity trench that seems to be "coincidently" affecting Earth at the precise times of the recent major earthquakes.

Now, to get through today, 31-3-2011, with nothing major happening as far as earthquakes in New Madrid or Cali/Alaska - will dispel quite a few "predictions,"

I think understand about your magnet analogy and am in agreement. Check out my thread here:

Dodged a Solar Bullet

I am truly excited! I had almost given up on the idea because of zero interest.

Please reply to this on the Earthquake Light thread so as to share the excitement with others - who knows, might even rope Zorgon, CL Prime, or even Phage into this.

Earthquake Lights Live Update Map

Thank you for your time and consideration.

These challenges to life and sanity on this planet must be met with clear minds and sound hearts, so may your 2011 see you embracing its highest potential and onward through the fog!

In Peace & Light

tfw

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I think sheeples are to busy to notice but it is astonishing so far that at that rate it is not being seen by sheeples maybe the real peoples will step up to the plate and strike some home runs on the map,I have`nt seen anything yet
Peace gringo

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I saw a small version of the 'rainbow clouds' over Blackbushe airport this evening but I suspect they are caused by the sunset - and are normal, e.g. nothing to do with earthquakes - I hope not anyway as I am in the UK!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Please, take a look in this anomaly - march 29 2011.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks to gringoboy for the tip.

S&F
edit on 2-4-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I want to report a singular cloud similar to your Chile picture. It caught me off guard because it stuck out like a sore thumb. Beautiful it was. This occurred March 31, at approximately 7 to 8 am. I stared at it for about 15 minutes, in Kokomo,Indiana. I was busy filling my bird feeders thinking how beautiful to start the day and did not make the connection till today when I seen your thread. The time is approx. We had a earthquake 12/30/10 recently, and April, 2008. Just want to participate, maybe something.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by electricalpup
I want to report a singular cloud similar to your Chile picture. It caught me off guard because it stuck out like a sore thumb. Beautiful it was. This occurred March 31, at approximately 7 to 8 am. I stared at it for about 15 minutes, in Kokomo,Indiana. I was busy filling my bird feeders thinking how beautiful to start the day and did not make the connection till today when I seen your thread. The time is approx. We had a earthquake 12/30/10 recently, and April, 2008. Just want to participate, maybe something.

Greetings:

March 31, 2011? Any related earthquake activity or smells?

Is 12/30/10 (recently) mean 30 December 2010?

Any activity in your area between 2008 and 2010?

We have moved this conversation to another thread so as to add smells to the map.

Please join us there to continue the reply.

Earthquake Lights & Sounds Live Update Map

In Peace & Light
tfw

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

We just observed earthquake lights for about 10-20 minutes to the southwest of our location in Kentucky. The general direction of New Madrid! I've never seen these weird lights before! A relatively small bright spot in the sky with pink to the right and blue-green colors to the left of it. In the middle it was yellowish-white. It came for a few minutes and went away then returned for a few minutes in the same place in the sky.

Also a sulfur smell in our water which has never been there before until a few weeks ago.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by wevebeenassimilated

At what time did this occur?

And where are you exactly?(and no I am not stalking material
)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by wevebeenassimilated

Any photos by chance?

2nd line.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
My entire family is in Ky - I would
be interested in location - just the
town name. And pics would be
great.

I found the thread - thanks for
posting it here.
edit on 30-10-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wevebeenassimilated

We just observed earthquake lights for about 10-20 minutes to the southwest of our location in Kentucky. The general direction of New Madrid! I've never seen these weird lights before! A relatively small bright spot in the sky with pink to the right and blue-green colors to the left of it. In the middle it was yellowish-white. It came for a few minutes and went away then returned for a few minutes in the same place in the sky.

Also a sulfur smell in our water which has never been there before until a few weeks ago.

I think I saw the same thing you did at the same time.
I'm in Louisville and I saw sundogs.
They were far away from the sun and one on either side.
It looked like this.

Is this what you saw?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I think that is a sun dog.

However, I witnessed the one like the one over China in the earlier post over Memphis Tn. the same day of the Japan quake.

P.S. enough overs in my sentence.....sheesh

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I do believe in order for these to be called
Sun Dogs there has to be the appearance
of 3 suns at the same time. Is this the
only one you saw when you took the pic?
The sun dogs I have seen are usually
geometrical - this one is not - making
me think it is either ice crystals or
earthquake clouds. Interesting!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
therearenosunglasses.wordpress.com... -haarp-attacks/

Look at the 8th and 9th image down -
similar to your photo
edit on 31-10-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join