It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Easiest Way to Retain Information from ATS Threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
There are so many great educational threads with so much valuable information in them that it's impossible to remember it all is. I'd like to digitally save a copy of some entire threads just in case the internet ever does go down. Is there some way to do that, or maybe even copy an entire sub-forum such as the Survival forum rather than trying to cut and paste bits and pieces?

Since the information on here is already public domain and saving entire threads would give credit where credit is due much more accurately than cut and pasting to a Word document or something like that I'm assuming ATS wouldn't mind but I could be wrong. I'm sure they'll let me know if I am.

Suggestions anyone?

TFN

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I thought this was basic stuff, but honestly i've never tried it in anyhting other than internet explorer and that was a while back. Anyway check out this link forums.cnet.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
BTW, I think that this will take up a great deal of time and depending on if there are lots of images lots of space. But if that's what you want to do and it's within the T/C go for it.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthFreedomNow

ATS admins could probably keep a self updating pdf of some sort. Or a giant program you can install. By the way i love how this is in the Survival forum.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xShadow13

Well in a SHTF situation one could get bored to death. I think that would qualify this as a for of survival. Or perhaps, what I was thinking, he is trying to copy the survival forum?
edit on 22-3-2011 by n0tsan3 because: Redundancy

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
there used to be (before the 2010 update) a monthly summary pdf compilation of some kind. i cannot find it anymore tho. you may want to go to the business forum and submit the question to one of the mods.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I've been trying to cut and copy threads to send to my monkeysphere of friends to get the word out on certain topics and info and I still can't figure out how to do that. good idea op

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Try emailing the link of the page to yourself. Then you could search though your email to recover the link. Also, i know that Safari allows you to save web archives. I believe that you still have to connected to the net to get all the graphics. As someone else mentioned, the terms of the copyrights here may not allow you to store pages locally, but there are a ton of apps on the net for crawling websites and saving them. In essence, this is what the major search engines do.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
If you find anything worth keeping just cut & paste it into Word Perfect or notebook and print it.

Saving it on your computer may be worthless depending on what SHTF means. If the computer is fried or maybe there is no electricity for long periods (or forever) then you have hard copies.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yes, indeed I did post this in the survival forum because this is where I have the most trouble with finding great info and not having a good way to retain it. Guess it wasn't the wisest forum to ask in.

And I will post to ask about the monthly summary pdf compilation thing...in another forum.

TFN

join