It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan tsunami victims enjoy their first bath since disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

(Reuters) - After more than 10 days in makeshift evacuation centres, hundreds of victims of Japan's massive earthquake and tsunami took their first bath since the disaster and a chance to warm up in the winter chill. The baths, one for men and one for women, were set up by soldiers inside a dark green tent in a car park in Kamaishi City in the northeast of Japan which took the brunt of the tremor and tsunami that followed, leaving about 21,000 dead or missing. Hundreds of thousands have been made homeless. "I usually took a quick bath before. But today I sat in the tub for about 15 minutes, thinking about what has happened," said 48-year-old Kaoru Oikawa.

It's nice to see that some of the people in Japan are able to wash up, it has been over 10 days since most have seen any hot water or even clean water for that matter..

It seems that public baths are still popular in Japan..

I hope more people will be able to get to these baths soon..

at least there is some good happening in Japan..

source

"I lost my parents (because of the quake and the tsunami) and I've just cremated them. I wish I could have taken them here to bathe." Public baths are still a way of life in many parts of Japan. "I just ran away from my house after the quake without grabbing anything. They gave me some fresh underwear but these are the same clothes I was wearing that day," said 95-year-old Keiko Asano, pointing to her shirt. "I can never forget what has happened, but I'm feeling relieved after taking a bath." In icy rain, victims arrived in a group on organised shuttle buses from evacuation centres. Nearly 2,000 people have come to bathe at the Kamaishi facility since they opened the public bath a few days ago. "It was better than any hot spring I have ever gone," said 57-year-old Kazuyuki Honda.

edit on 22-3-2011 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Nobody cares huh?

ya know..at least it is some good news..

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I tell you what we don't know how good we got it until it's gone, even the little things in life like taking a bath. To have some sense of normalcy in the chaos of the Japanese Tsunami I can imagine it was a little bit of comfort. Such a sad situation all around.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

yea..Thanks for the reply...

we take a lot of things for granted here in the USA..

I can't even imagine what these people are going through...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I thought more people would like to read about a little good news in Japan..

Guess i was wrong, back to the doom and gloom everyone...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
meh..i still think we all need some good news..

hopefully, the water for the baths is safe..but i doubt it..

new topics

top topics

join