It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My take on Libya (propaganda at its finest)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
For a few weeks, I actually thought it would be the right thing to impose a no fly zone over Libya. And I'm an extreme pacifist. Qaddafi is killing citizens, right? Wrong! His forces were targeting armed citizens, which makes them militants.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

you seem to forget the fact that he called in mercanaries from outside of libya to fire on libyans because he knew libyans wouldnt fire on their own people...forcing them to take arms and become the rebels we see on tv. Whether or not the uprising was provoked is unknown or not well documted yet. But either way Ghadaffi is basura and gotta get dumped ... why Americans didnt just finish the job years ago is beyond me.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
So...What you are saying is that if you own a fire arm you are a militant?

I would be willing to bet that nobody knows what exactly has been going on in Libya except the people who live there.

Everyone repeating the "news" spin that they agree with the most just adds to the confusion.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
has anyone said what is going to happen if Ghadaffi is taken down by either the rebels who outside influence. Who is going to be in charge off Libya. Will it ber another ealry Iraq? As so many factions will just vie for power?
Sorry if this is off topic.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I'm NOT saying Qaddafi is a good guy. It's just that most news places say in one place that the armed rebels are losing, then in other places they say Qaddafi is killing citizens. I've never seen the news(multiple sources) say in the same article that Qaddafi is killing armed rebels. It's in our constitution that congress can squelch armed rebellions however they please. I'm just trying to point out that the MSM is being very picky with their word choosing, meanwhile I never knew everything that was going on there.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The no-fly zone is a compassionate response to a mad mad murdering a group of people that started as peaceful protesters. This no-fly zone was almost completely in place thanks to the French and British forces.

The problem lies in the massive bombing war the US government felt was necessary. The US command is like a bull in a china shop.

I guarantee no one is happy with what has happened.

The no-fly zone and targeted attacks on military units advancing on civilian populations would have been the humane thing to do. There was absolutely no need for the US to get involved. The British and French had even convinced members of the Arab League to support the mission. This would have allowed a "fair" playing ground for the citizens of Libya to decide their future.

Now it is a mess, with no clear direction in sight, and, oh yeh, now we have ticked off the economic and military power that is BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China).

Good move.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

The problem is with the American government (in my view only), is that it absolutely loves to get its hand dirty in things that it shouldn't be involved with, because they believe it's the 'right thing to do'. I totally agree, however. America shouldn't have gotten involved with it, period.

However, there is the problem of who is going to end up running the place if this guy does indeed die.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
no matter what the reason for war with this dictator, it shows how perverse our government really is. ITS ALWAYS A OIL PRODUCING COUNTRY----What about CHINA??-and a host of others that WE DIDNT ATTACK??
A comandment of law in the bible says-DONT GO INTO ANOTHERS HOUSE- even to collect money he owes you. Its a blanet law which covers other nations land also.
Three wars running now-God almighty will judge us further,like this war dog nation has been getting and with increasing volume. Havent all you figured it out yet?? Read the bible.It takes years to read and understand-sure you want to wait??-

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by codenameotacon89

However, there is the problem of who is going to end up running the place if this guy does indeed die.

That is the unknown for sure. Just like it is basically an unknown in Egypt and Tunisia.

We have no idea how these protesters/rebels will try to organize their new governments. But that is really for them to decide. No other county needs to attempt nation building throughout the Middle East and North Africa. If the US tries to play that game, it will be death by a 1000 cuts.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by gloomyblue707
reply to post by Ghost375

why Americans didnt just finish the job years ago is beyond me.

Because America can't catch a break no matter what we do.
If we had, people would be screaming "America's assassinating foreign leaders!!!"
Just like the current Libyan situation:
"Look!! America's doing nothing and letting these poor Libyans be slaughtered!!!"
And if we go in it will be people screaming "Look!! America's invading yet another country with their murdering troops!!!"
It's an endless "Catch-22"...
Make up your minds, people....

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

True indeed. And with the whole Catch-22 thing, we do have it bad, there are people that yell at us for not helping, and there are people that'll yell at us for going in and trying to help. Not only that, I'm sure that most people in the US would be screaming at the president for bringing more troops into another 'meaningless' war. Either way, the government has enemies on all sides in this situation.

new topics

top topics

join