It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox 4

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
For you Firefox users out there (Firefox is a free web browser, btw), or for anyone that's looking for a better and/or faster browser ... and who doesn't know yet, the new version of Firefox is out - I believe today - and it is lightning fast!

It also has several interesting new features. The move of the refresh button is driving me bonkers, though. I've been using it for about ten minutes and I gotta say, the speed is significant.

Any other thoughts?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Chrome

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I dug on Chrome for a while when they finally offered it for the Mac. But it was never as fast as Firefox, or even Safari, in my opinion. And unless it's changed, ain't no hope against Firefox 4 ... no hope.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
lol i just finished installing this ...opend my browser to see this post !

great timing

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
They've been spamming me with the new update for Fox for about a week now.... Chrome is a good browser but isn't nearly as quick as firefox! I also love Maxthon for those who are looking for a new, dependable browser with cool/useful tools

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

I used it for about a week, and eventually went back to Version 3.6 lol it ok but got a few bugs to work out seeing as how it's still in beta i believe....all in all though a good experimental browser... thanks for the heads up though...people using IE need to atleast give firefox a chance....i switched over about 3 years ago .

-JagSR

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I "upgraded" to Firefox 4 a few hours ago. I have been regretting it since then. I'm going back to the previous version ASAP!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

I do like the look of it and it seems faster, but not inbelieveably so.

It is announcing itself as incompatible with the Trend AV toolbar that we use as our anti-malware @ my work. I suppose this is as expected, though.

For the fastest & smallest footprint (memory wise) I think Opera is still up there, or at number 1, but Chrome, Safari, IE9 & Firefox have all improved lately.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Why?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JagSR

Nah, I don't think it's beta now. I think it's the real deal ... so maybe they've ironed out some of those kinks ... maybe not.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by Aggie Man

Why?

Change...that's primarily the reason. Some of the changes were significant and it now takes me longer "surf the web". I'm sure I could get use to it though. I had about 7 or 8 applications that it no longer runs...like Yahoo tool bar, DivX.....

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

edit on 22-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: must check something

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I can't stand all the bars, so I get rid of all that stuff. Nothing but tabs and address. The upgrade continued my settings, so I might be missing a lot as I haven't ventured too far into it yet. I do kinda like being able to pin frequently-used windows over to the side, though and not take up the space of a whole tab. Though I'm sure this features has been available as an add-on or something. It also dropped the bottom status bar (for me) which I am so happy about ... sometimes it's the little things.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads-up. Just updated because of this thread.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

You are correct sir! guess i was wrong....it's no longer beta. -=)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Firefox 4? Wasn't that like the Charlie's Angels-type show in Pulp Fiction or something?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
No more page loading bugs. Yeaah
Only had to to hit the "refresh" button one time.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I like it, but weird thing about mine is that if I click on a "mailto:" link - it locks up the browser - AND - my default email client is THUNDERBIRD! I can change it to yahoo mail & it works fine, but I'd rather use TB.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Nevermind - fixed my issue. Went in & manually set it to thunderbird instead of using the preset setting "use thunderbird" & it works fine. Wonder what the diff is?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I've been using Firefox RC for a few weeks now, and it updated to the final version sometime this morning. As normal there is a little getting used to (like the order of 'Open link in New tab/window' has reversed when you right click) , but it's worth it. Time of page loading is much quicker, and I'm finding this isn't such a memory hog like version 3 was.

If anyone has problems with the Norton Toolbar, I found a solution here

MY FF says that the Norton Toolbar is incompatible with FF4, even after this, but it's doing the job for me, I tested it out earlier.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join