It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 year old who thinks he rules the world

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I'm surprised no one has met an 11 year old like this. I was probably like this. I had some "deep rooted" issues. Nothing horrible, but there were things. Kids don't just get up and start developing a horrible personality. It develops over time.

I think this soccer thing might help. But I have a feeling it's only temporary.You need to objectively examine his life. See what could be cuasing a problem. And give him the attention he needs. Force him him to do stuff with you.

I have an intersting anecodate. Up to age 15 I was raised by my mom, who was strict and the like. I always did chores and she stressed the importance of being good. I was something like this kid. We butt heads and guess what ... I left. My dad was much more freewheeling. In some sense, he was the ultimate softy. If my brother and I were fighting and I drew blood he would basically tell me to deal with it. Kinda like, see the consquences of your own actions.

The fact is beating only works on those with a weaker personality than you. It sure as hell didn't work for me. Those kids that fall in line, in an objective sense, have submitted. Some kids have a stronger will than you and will not submit.

So, from my perspective:

1. Hitting won't work. You'll probably make things worse.
2. Intelligently explaining how things are, perhaps with stories from your past, will probably work. Might want to sprinkle this with shouting.
3. Some giving him so much #. 6 bikes? This child needs some sarcaity and rocks to sleep on.

cheers
ktpr

D

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I'd have to go with corporal punishment here. Worked for me and my brothers, and seems to work for most people as long as you don't go overboard.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
And you then turn to the internet (a forum) for the answers; Jesus your son is doomed.

But anyway, my advice, don�t even read it (stop here)

Don�t have any more children, as you seem like an unfit father, and this would be unfair on any future children you might have.

Hire Rent-a-Real-Dad, The Company does not exist, but I am sure if you look for the solution to your sons problems on forums for long enough, you might just find said above company.

OR! And I know this seems mad and totally out there! But! Stop spoiling him, maybe your to blame for him thinking he can walk all over you, Six bikes, for crying out loud.

You just might want to wait a few years, as I can just hear some Army recruit office saying to himself while reading your story, (rubs hands) Perfect future Government killing machine.

Jesus I am a cynical Bastard.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This is sort of an aside comment.

I was spanked on the bottom as a child. I think there is nothing in appropriate about that. I was never touched anywhere else. I would encourage everyone to NEVER hit a child anywhere else. The bottom muscle is a large simple muscle and more difficult to injure by hand or belt spanking. The face, head and elsewhere have many much more delicate and crucial structures and organs which can be easily damaged.

To be frank, children who never know any pain that comes in from the outside world tend to be unaware that other people are out there. They have a tendency to think the world revolves around them, sort of like living in Virtual Reality. Spankings for genuine misbehavior are most appropriate. Even spankings, on occasion, that are due to irritated parents are ok, they let children know that parents are not Gods, they are real people with feelings to consider. Children have feelings and parents have feelings. Parents are larger, have more experience, and hopefully the best interest of the child at heart.

Children [people] learn to be wary of fire because it causes them pain if improperly dealt with. To learn the same thing about other people is essential in a world with a large complex society. As a fringe benefit it tends to give a child more humanity [empathy for other people].

A few spankings during younger years do wonders. After a certain age with no spankings or discipline you are fighting an uphill battle.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I hope everthing works out for you two,just remember not to give in and that everyone has to take responsablitiy for there actions, including children,sometimes as parents that can be one of the hardest lessons yet.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
beat the f**k outta him

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
IMO, there are two options:

1. You will need a careful balance of love and discipline. I know this sounds bad, but basically you need to teach him to behave so that he wont lose your love. Show him as much love as you can when he is being good, and when he is bad, discpiline him and such. Basically pretend you are bi-polar, love him when good, dislike him when bad.

2. Get a complete stranger to spank him/verbally scold him/etc. Like have a friend that the kid doesnt know follow you where you go for a day, like the mall, etc. And either wait til your kid is bad, or push his buttons a little bit. Then, when he acts up, get your friend to come out of nowhere and punish the kid. Getting what your kid thinks is a stranger to punish him will surely make him rethink what he is doing. If he still acts up at home, be like, hey, i invited the guy we met at the mall last week to come over. And each time he is bad, say, I think I'll invite over Mr. so and so.

Jahmun, I really like that idea. I can't say I agree with it, but the stranger routine is really twisted and will get in the kids head to behave, wow!

:bash:
:bnghd:

-ADHDsux4me

top topics

<< 1   >>

join