It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meme experiment. How much influence do we as individuals have? Meme project!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

What we really need to do is a mass hit against a single popular thread as initial "advertisement".

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

LOL Im down

Got any ideas about which thread?

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I'd like a thread where someone sees a significance in a similar name or anagram. Especially if it starts getting ismIST. I think we should look out for one, post our own stuf & paste a link back here for others to contribute.

Something like the 2012/Elenin/Nibiru ones (because if their names sound the same it must have "magical" significance)!

But I am up for a democratic process if you have any suggestions?

I have this one but it's perhaps a bit heavy duty?

And that's another thing, your replies have to be good ones, not just for the sake of using the ismIST "thing".

edit on 2/5/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Your thread Im happy to follow your lead,

I would reccomend something more current tho so its seen by more people, I reckon just jump on any new ISM threads that pop up and mass blast it,

I did see someone else use the word ISM here not long after this thread started, I assumed they got it from us

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Lets hit this thread about the definition agnostics=atheists or vice-versa.
edit on 3/5/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

I don't inderstand.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Man I am definatly in or un, does that work?

It'd be in-freakin beleivable if this takes off.
I will be very inimpressed if this just fizzles out to nothing.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The words ism-ist and ism-ism are both nouns, and I believe hyphenation is the correct way to write them. Capitalisation doesn't help the issue as both parts of the words are only three letters and both are derived from the same suffix. Also the fact that they are both suffixes means that the only real way they can form any sort of real word is as a hyphenated compound word.

My 2c, linguistically speaking.

Regarding memes, we're not saying it's impossible to force a meme - only that it has not happened throughout the human history of memes. I just recently watched piontles on IGN (which I really enjoyed) try to become a meme and fail. Trust me, it just doesn't work like that. Part of the reason is that memes rely on people to use and spread them widely. If the creator of a meme is calling it a meme before it actually is one then people will become negatively predisposed towards it and are less likely to use it - meaning it is less likely to spread.

Personally the whole un/in thing kinda bugs me. Words are words for a reason. They convey meaning to me in a split second as I run my eyes across the sentence. If I have to stop and think about what I'm reading then it defeats the purpose (effective communication). I tend to find it annoying, rather than think 'oh, I see what (s)he did there'

But hey, have fun!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join