It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HP Quad Core - now shows Octo Core ? (8 cores) socket 775 intel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well i'm just telling you things that could have happened. If you have been doing this so long y are you have trouble with such a simple problem? lol

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wrksstudios

Its not a problem, just discovered something and not sure how it got this way, and as long as it is
stable - I kind of like it. if we can figure it out - we can all have 8 cores.
edit on 22-3-2011 by ISRAELdid911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
dood! you will always have a cores with that processor. Like i said 4 physical cores + 4 hyper-threaded cores. Its doing exactly whats its suppose to do. It might not have shown them before because you had your settings in your bios wrong. Its prob set to auto now which enabled hyper-threading. Ur good. Don't worry about it. Enjoy the powa!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ISRAELdid911

Look in BIOS to see if there's a place to enable or disable Hyper-Threading, or whatever Intel is calling it nowadays. That's what allowed each core to be seen as two cores by the CPU.

Many times it can be enabled-disabled in the BIOS/EFI. Perhaps, the option just somehow got disabled in the BIOS and no one ever noticed. But when you removed the battery the BIOS settings reset to default and so now it was turned back on.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
No socket 775 processors that are quad core have hyperthreading. There are also no eight - core socket 775 processors.

You misread it.

Or there was a bug.

Or you have a LGA-1366, LGA-1155 or LGA-1156 based quad core not a socket 775 based processor. And when the BIOS reset it automatically turned on hyperthreading which allows each processor core to act as two logical cores (which many 1366, 1155, 1156 processors HAVE) which causes there to be 8 logical cores, 4 physical.

Or you have a dual socket LGA-775 based system (two physical processors) with each processor a dual core with hyperthreading. When BIOS reset it automatically activated hyperthreading.

Or you have some server setup that I'm not familiar with.

For best performance, enable hyperthreading. Also if you think your 4 core was actually an 8 core, then you can take the IHS off and check (this will destroy the CPU btw) by looking at the physical die underneath the Integrated Heat Spreader.
edit on 23/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

edit on 23/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join