It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HP Quad Core - now shows Octo Core ? (8 cores) socket 775 intel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
not sure how to upload this picture but there has to be a conspiracy here if
a bios crash changed a quad core into eight cores. so if someone will assist
with getting the print screen off mspaint image off my computer and onto ATS
we might want to start asking How Many Cores does these Multi-Cores really have.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
its because when you have a quad core you get 4 physical cores and 4 simulated cores. What your seeing is normal. I run dual opteron 8 cores and if i go to my performance i show 32 core. 16 physical and 16 software (hyper threading) but AMD'S version. You should show 8 cores total. Your good bro.
edit on 22-3-2011 by wrksstudios because: added info

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrksstudios
its because when you have a quad core you get 4 physical cores and 4 simulated cores. What your seeing is normal. I run dual opteron 8 cores and if i go to my performance i show 32 core. 16 physical and 16 software (hyper threading) but AMD'S version. You should show 8 cores total. Your good bro.
edit on 22-3-2011 by wrksstudios because: added info

Goodness! What do you do with all that horsepower? Video editing? Extreme Gaming? Building a full scale universe simulation are we?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Yeah, what he said

If only a bios corruption bred new cores in the processor! Cheap upgrades all round....

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
It was perfectly normal, and the bios locked up. I removed the bios battery - reset the bios. and in the
matter of maybe 3 minutes... went from 4 cpu graphs to 8 cpu graphs and really I think it is much faster
even though it was a buzz saw before its more like a chirp saw.
well, its better than before - but that bios crash scared me... expensive paperweight....

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
You shouldnt need to take the cmos battery out, most modern motherboards will have either a cmos reset button or 2 pins you can either put a jumper on for a few seconds or anything metal to bridge the gap between them, again - for a few seconds. Saves time, less fannying about

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ya its some pretty crazy power. Its my server machine. I use it to render out my 3d animations for work and my personal projects. My workstation is only a quad i7. The server BTW has 128G of ram too. haha.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
And I thought I was doing well with an i5 750 and 8gb or ddr3

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrksstudios
The server BTW has 128G of ram too. haha.

brb while I go get some bathroom tissue

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
But the question that needs answered.....

Does it play crysis on max settings?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I'm sure processor wise it could handle it no prab. but my graphics card is a workstation card and they don't play games very well. I never use my computers for games. just for work n stuff. I play games on 360 and ps3

Like right now i'm at work and im rockin my asus laptop with an i5.. hehe
edit on 22-3-2011 by wrksstudios because: update

The server that has 128G Ram splits it. 64G for each processor. Its got 6 slots for each cpu. Its pretty nuts.
edit on 22-3-2011 by wrksstudios because: updated

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I kind of half suspected it wouldn't have a gaming card, I tried to be funny

Should stop talking about specs before I start considering another upgrade.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
HAHA
I hear ya! Just wait till optical or organic processors come out. Its gonna be way nutty!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by wrksstudios

So hows the Job Market for MCP MCSE's in the valley right now...?
my brother thinks I have virtual machines running... hum, what do you think and just so I understand
not sure how you would install other than Microsofts Virtual Machine, he designs software, Im the hardware
guy and I am mystified at the moment. is it software or a bug...? and I have no clue what caused the bios
to crash in the first place.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I have the I7 950 12 g memory can double that to 24 g. Running a GTS 450 overclocked. It has the hyper threading showing 8 cores. I have no problems with anything I throw at it. Of coarse I water cooled the cpu and have a temperature and fan controller thats touch screen sitting on the desk next to the monitor. The northbridge is the only thing on my pc that gets hot 113F max 116F. The rest of the components run 83F max 89F.
edit on 22-3-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

yea, Northbridge is the place where most gamer motherboards die - your ok, till around 180 or so.
If I build a gamer tower, I replace all heat sinks with either water cool or direct fan. you can also
decrease the temp with thermal paste, paint it on in the center of the heat sink - 20 degrees cooler.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I dont think your bios crashed. I think your computer just messed up for a second. If your bios was messed up u might not even be able to boot. I have a machine that is down right now cause of bad bios. And once the bios goes and you cant get it to post its basically time for a new board. If your comp is up and running go online and download an updated bios and install it via usb. ull be good.

In regards to whats above.

1. you always use thermal paste...
2. you always upgrade to better cpu fans or water cooling...
3. and i dropkick north-bridges! hahaha!
edit on 22-3-2011 by wrksstudios because: had 2

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

well, Windows did a update. and rebooted. and the Welcome screen hung. held the pwr button in for 4 sec. and it powered down. would not POST... removed the battery - 20 sec. and replaced.... eureka the rest was history.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
well how long did u allow to hang before u powered it off? when windows does updated sometimes its doing things in the background. It will look like it is hanging but it inst. I think u had to reset the cmos because u interrupted it.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

it was a good 10 mins. been doing this stuff for like 30 years. thats why I was asking about silicon valley my home... I'm in excile in Florida right now. didnt like the game of loosing my arse.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join