It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Tale of Two Wolves.

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This is apparently an old Native tale. It's a good one:

One evening an old Cherokee Indian told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, ‘My son, the battle is between two ‘wolves’ inside us all.One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.’

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: ‘Which wolf wins?’

The old Cherokee simply replied, ‘The one you feed.’

wizdompath.wordpress.com...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can attest to that. I was an angry man until my early 30's when I dealt with my baggage. Turns out it was my father. Go figure.
Reread that again, it's apt. I didn't know how much energy it took to maintain the negative emotions until I had gotten away from them. They drain you. The positive emotions? Hell, you don't even have to try for them to work for you. If this doesn't make sense, wait a bit. Your time will come. If this makes sense I don't need a "thank you". Just pass it on.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Very wise indeed, I heard a similar native tale about two snakes.. The messages was the same.. It is up to us to decide what kind of person we want to be..

Me, I feed the Curious wolf.. The wolf that lets my creative thinking flow.. My wolf does not fit in with the rest of the pact..Never has..Never will..Never wanted too.. Because my wolf stands out from the rest..

Basically I am not good..as, I am not pure..Yet i have no evil intentions..I am simply me.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
S+F man. One of my favorites.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Star Flag for this wise knowledge.

Choice, to choose, decide empowerment upon; we feed each mirror with imbalance. ?Is Consciousness and the action that parades betray a lesser 'good'.

sirE slapped my face bringing a SHOCKING HALT, which also caused MOLLY to screech electric ECHOS, to my skittish ramblings.

I enjoy reading these kind of wisdoms from across cultures knowing we can embrace their truth if we choose too.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
So very true, if I could applaud you for shareing it I would.

Goes right along with The Secret, and only those who know will.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

This is a subject I have been wrestling with, more so lately than usual.

Very profound way to sum it up.

Life is a test, a struggle, but above all a choice.

The one wolf feeds on anger, fear, bitterness.......the other feeds on love, kindness and compassion for others.

The dark wolf is always hungriest and at times it seems that he is winning the fight.

The only way to personal peace is to starve this wolf through good deeds and acts of selflessness.

This is life. The conscious choice.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
So very true, if I could applaud you for shareing it I would.

Goes right along with The Secret, and only those who know will.

I really liked this one as well, ty for it.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
We truly become what we think.
Thoughts not only forge who and what we are, but our reality as well.
Feed the negative or feed the positive.
the choice is yours.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
That is an interesting read, BUT i have one issue.
If anyone could pose their thoughts on this:

We have always measured good & bad including our own characteristics or 'wolves' in this case.
Since these 2 wolves live within us, does it not make it a part of us?
Is it naturalistic to oppose something that is born within us?

So basically, i understand these are are not 'good' per se, but is it not a perspective?
There may be a need for that 'wolf' sometime in some situation.

Killing the 'bad wolf' - does it not in some way kill us? or at least a part of us?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Sometimes others can feed either one of your wolves.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I'm not sure if that was actually a Cherokee fable or not... My grandfather told me that one when I was a kid, he was Cherokee though, go figure. :p
Over the years, I've striven towards always being positive in my actions. I've found however, that the "good wolf" is not always the right choice to "feed", so to speak. For example, if a person's loved one's are in danger, and he meets their aggressor with the qualities exemplified in the "good wolf" he likely will have lost his loved ones to the violence of someone "feeding" their "bad wolf". His actions will then "feed" the "bad wolf" empowering the attributes of regret, sorrow, resentment and guilt. He could have avoided releasing those aspects of his "bad wolf" by embracing only one of them: anger... Sometimes it is necessary to utilize our darker side to prevent much more darkness from entering our lives and the lives of those we care about.
Peace and Love, if you are willing to fight for it,
Q&A

edit on 20-4-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: I didn't use enough quotation marks lol

edit on 20-4-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I love this tale, and the wisdom it imparts- no matter the origin!

top topics

join