It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irony involving the Lord's Prayer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened

Originally posted by Akragon
You don't even have to speak in your prayers, if you talk in your mind and come from the heart why would he not hear you? As a matter of fact...meditation is a form of prayer... but instread of talking to God, you listen

Agreed, to some extent.

I find the process of giving words to feelings, even just in my own head (but even better if said to a confidant; I think the psychological power of this is where the idea of "confession" originated), helps me to sort them out.

Theres no doubt of the power of spoken word, it can move nations...Look at hitler for example...

Even the idea of confession is just releaving ones guilt.... I always wonder if i was to give confession (which i wouldn't) would it be to a man of God, or a man of the bible...

You do whatever works for you my friend...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Let me tell you something: he even was (and is) God!

Maybe you should follow him, He's metaphysics to the max. Or does new age fill your soul enough?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeZet

Maybe you should follow him, He's metaphysics to the max. Or does new age fill your soul enough?

who are you talking to?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SalemsLot
I'm no longer religious but I was raised Roman Catholic and it wasn't until I actually started paying attention to my religion that I gave it up, for this exact reason. The more research I've done the more I've learned that irony & contradiction run rampant in this religion.

You started out Roman Catholic which is ten parts all wrong. I have learned that real Christianity is about as far apart from Roman Catholicism as one can get. I almost believe that its designed that way so that everyone gives up on the religion.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Even the idea of confession is just releaving ones guilt.... I always wonder if i was to give confession (which i wouldn't) would it be to a man of God, or a man of the bible...

You're forgetting, everybody is a hypocrite. We are part men of God, and part creatures of the earth.

What I meant was confiding in a trusted friend. Preferably one whose life appears to be one of growth rather than decay.

"Confession" sounds all formal and pompous but I did not mean it in that way. I just find that the secrets that torment me, cease to do so nearly as much once I open up about them with someone. It is this psychological reality, a powerful tool for spiritual growth, that I suspect got ultimately corrupted into the "sacrament" of confession.

edit on 22-3-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

Good point OP, I was just reading the sermon on the mount last night and thinking about how when I was a christian as a child we would mindlessly repeat this prayer on command of parents teachers or priests. It had been many many years since I had said it because I was repelled by and rebelled against mainstream churchianity for a number of years in retaliation to indoctrination as a child.
Last night I went into meditation for about 20mins I "retreated to the closet and closed all the doors" of my mind as I sunk deeper into meditation and then I said the Lords prayer (very slowly I might add) with genuine selfless intent and sincerity and it felt amazing. Saying the prayer once probably took about ten minutes as my mind was close to stillness and god. Its synchronistic you should start this thread this morning as today I now realize the importance of what Jesus said prior to giving us the lords prayer.

Non-believer: "You can't prove it exists"
Believer: "You can't prove it doesn't"
Non-believer: "But you can't prove it does"
Believer: "But you can't prove it doesn't"

reminded me of this....

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
Jesus was quite obviously, not only a real person, but a metaphysician and philosopher of the very highest order.

Absolutely.

A human, but one who brought out the divine potential in the human psyche to unparalleled degrees.

Yes, it's plainly obvious that this man Jesus of Nazareth was absolutely and uncompromisingly committed to the very highest philsophical and metaphysical standard and principal of Quality and Excellence, surpassing that of the Greeks, along with an understanding of Compassionate Awareness within a relative framework of human being (family) surpassing the isolate consciousness of Buddha. It is very clear that Jesus was very well educated in the "Classics" of is day and age, and was in possession of the most brilliant mind of his age and that of any other, or a Quality human being, to the Max, and in so doing, at one with the Godhead relative to whom man is created in the same image, at the most recent and therefore most evolved Apex of a non-local, holographic, cosmological, creative evolutionary process - what a marvel!

Properly understood, what it says about US, as children of the same loving God expressed through Jesus own understanding and interpretation of the highest realities of our existence, is utterly astounding.

It's a matter of reason, not just of blind faith. The logos, the first word from that which cannot be distilled or defined by mere words - a supra-rational intelligence, something in very very short supply now, in this day and age, where people, ill equipped with such faculties of reason, would prefer to vain and meaningless "worship", than to have sympathetic, harmonious undestanding WITH Jesus, in real and authentic communion or koinonia.

To know him is to love him, since love loves love.

It is plain as day who knows him and who doesn't, no matter what "faith" they might profess.

edit on 22-3-2011 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeZet

who are you talking to?

I think it was a side arrow side-shot aimed at me, even though I always defer to the master and never make any claims for myself, since to be honest, I don't have an original idea of my own and everything I've learned I learned from him in much the same way he learned from his father who sent him.

"And as my father hath sent me, even so send I you."

P.S. Edit: What is most interesting about Jesus' philsophy and metaphysics, is that in his view there was apparently no distinction between Truth, Love and The Good, and he seemed to have an intimate felt experience of this Absolute Ideal as something alive and informative in all creation as a type of "spirit of the universe" ie: see his exchange with the woman at the well where he reframes God as being neither in the Temple or on the Mountain, but as spirit and truth. For him "God" was a living principal as a first/last cause, fully informed and self aware in eternity, a POV synonymous with the "Brilliance" of the "Akasha" of the Hindus, and the Tao of the Eastern Mystics.
Jesus was a lover of Quality above all else, of Excellence, expressed as the very meaning of human life and existence; and as a standard relative to which no compromise ought to be made. As such, for him, Quality it would appear (the Good) was the creative regenerative principal of life meeting life in eternity, incorruptible, and imperishable. "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my word will never pass away." This is a statement about rhetoric (artful persuasion), and of the neccessity of leadership, whereby one among us must teach and be the Good Shepherd who can be trusted never to be a wolf and to guard and protect from the wolf who only kills and eats.

His is a way of thinking so foreign to modern man, that even to this day, people don't seem to understand what Jesus was driving at.

We even see in the Lord's prayer, the hermeneutical conception of "as above, so below", and the very same standard of forgiveness which he came to embody willingly on the cross as a perfect and neccessary act of love, of uncompromising Quality and Excellence bar none.

To then mock Jesus and Christian's one and all, without the faintest clue about the sheer magnificence of the thinking and the philosphy, is not only ignorant, but profane.

The truth at the heart of the Jesus story, is highly informative, and is only offensive to the self willed pride of man, who although he thinks he knows, doesn't have the first clue. Ironically, these are the very lost be came to inform!

edit on 22-3-2011 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I have a feeling that a lot of the Bible isn't what it was intended to be. It has been edited throughout time, I think that the Council of Nicea was the "point of no return." At that point the message was beginning to be tainted for power. There's still plenty of good stuff in there, I trust in the Lord to lead me to what is right. That's just what I think.
Peace!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

I'm no longer religious but I was raised Roman Catholic and it wasn't until I actually started paying attention to my religion that I gave it up, for this exact reason. The more research I've done the more I've learned that irony & contradiction run rampant in this religion.

You started out Roman Catholic which is ten parts all wrong. I have learned that real Christianity is about as far apart from Roman Catholicism as one can get. I almost believe that its designed that way so that everyone gives up on the religion.

Trust me, starting out roman catholic is WAY more then 10 parts wrong. LOL
But I'm curios to know where you learned that "real Christianity is about as far apart from Roman Catholicism as one can get"...?
And if what you (almost) believe has any truth, then considering roman catholics are the largest group in christianity then whoever the designer is, that's one sly dude

top topics

<< 1   >>

join