It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blair Begins Finalizing Plans for Conflict in Sudan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The US may find itself involved on a new battlefront in the coming months as Britian's PM, Tony Blair, is drawing up plans on how to act.

www.heraldsun.news.com.au
"The Prime Minister has asked to look at all the options that will save lives and not to rule out the military services," a British government official was quoted as saying in The Guardian newspaper.

According to the report, Mr Blair is considering three options: sending British servicemen only to help with the aid effort; sending logistical support for an African Union force; deploying British troops to protect refugee camps. The final and most risky option would require the agreement of the Khartoum Government, which would be reluctant to give it, the newspaper said.

Mr Blair yesterday promised to keep in close touch with Washington and the United Nations over events in Darfur, where at least 10,000 people are estimated to have died since conflict erupted in February 2003 "

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There is no doubt that if the British invade, the US won't be far behind.

With Iraq becoming less and less, America's problem, and more and more the rest of the world's problem, many troops will soon be free to participate in such a conflict.

Related News Links:
news.scotsman.com

[edit on 22-7-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It sounds like the kind of peace keeping operation the British would be well suited to. It would probably be better if we did this alone, possibly leaving the US to cover Iraq. I think if the US went there it would become another terrorist magnet, though I'm not really up on Sudanese issues.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I am not sure that the UK can financially afford to send a military presence after the Iraq ordeal. Personally I cannot see the US being involved as there is little to gain for them in doing so.

join