It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Picks Up Distress Signal From Doomed Planet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
More like someone fail at science and imagine how far galaxies are from each other. This is nothing new here at ATS

Originally posted by TristanC

Firstly, the poster of the article starts with a disclaimer:

"We do not claim to confirm nor deny the credibility of the article."

Secondly:

"The Andromeda Galaxy is 2.5 Million Light Years from Earth. They claim the radio message is 80,000 Years Old."

Someone failed maths.

Thirdly:

If this was remotely true there is no way in hell NASA or the MOD would have let us know about it.

edit on 22/3/11 by TristanC because: Spelling Corrections

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

It wasn't ours was it? J/K
Awesome find, very interesting!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Although I agree that most of the WWN stories are complete rubbish, I like to think of it this way....

To people who don't believe, all UFO stories are utter rubbish. Does it mean they are? Is there a chance that maybe from all of the fake stories there could potentially be a real one?

I've never really read up on WWN before, do they post genuine articles? If so, is there not a possibility that one day, one story will be real and will just be read as disinfo?

My two cents anyway.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by scottlpool2003
I've never really read up on WWN before, do they post genuine articles? If so, is there not a possibility that one day, one story will be real and will just be read as disinfo?

Not really. If they posted an article which had us asking questions instead of questionning the article then maybe we could believe what they post. Too many things are not adding up in this article.

Google & Wiki is your friend!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TristanC

Originally posted by scottlpool2003

Not really. If they posted an article which had us asking questions instead of questionning the article then maybe we could believe what they post. Too many things are not adding up in this article.

Google & Wiki is your friend!

It's probably a load of made up rubbish, but what better way to get the truth out there, yet still manage to do it in such a way, that no self respecting person would believe it?

Out in plain sight remember.

*Assuming* the story has some truth to it;

There are several highly significant things that seem to have eluded people talking about this planet sending the SOS, directed it at our region of space.

Why would they do this, why would they send a message to Earth?

There are only 3 logical reasons.

1) The SOS wasn't just directed at the Earth or our region, but was directed and broadcast in every possible direction from the originating planet.

2) The SOS was directed at the general region Earth is in, we just happened to be in the neighbourhood and picked the message up.

3) The SOS was deliberately directed squarely at the Earth.

The implications for us on Earth are astounding if *any* of the 3 possibles above are true, but much more so if option 2 is correct, and even more astounding if option 3 is correct.

Think about it.

If the message wasn't directed at Earth, but to our region of space, the implication is that there is (or was) an advanced civilisation in our region of space that *was* the intended recipient of the SOS.

If the message *was* intended specifically for Earth, and the originating message has taken 80K years to reach us (at the speed of light), that would imply that the Earth *HAD* an advanced civilisation (now gone) around 160,000 years ago!

160,000 years being the time it would take for radio/communications signals to travel *from* Earth so the SOS planet would know advanced life was here (80,000 years) and another 80,000 years for them to send the SOS here once they'd detected our signals indicating a civilisation was here.

If the SOS was urgent, it's fairly certain they have died by now. Perhaps a few survivors made it through and during the ensuing 80,000 years since the SOS was sent, may have rebuilt their civilisation and forgotten they ever sent a message.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: spikey

Here is a very good youtube of the finding. It certainly got my attention!

edit on 1-6-2014 by wevebeenassimilated because: fixing link

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: wevebeenassimilated

I'm a little confused. The 1998 Weekly World News article said it was a distress signal, and even went into some detail as to what the signal said, but this video tells us that it was not decoded until 2011.

The video states:
"only in 2011 have radio astronomers and language experts found the key to the complex mathematics-based language that enabled them to translate the 'frantic plea for help"."

How did the Weekly World news know it was an SOS -- and how did they know it was sent 80,000 years ago?

The Andromeda galaxy is 2.5 million light years away, so I think they should have given us an explanation as to how this message reached us so quickly if it was sent only 80,000 years ago. I wish the researchers would have told us why it didn't take the 2.5 million years to reach us that I would expect for a message -- unless it was sent using some unknown technology (although that would be odd, considering it was picked up by radio telescopes that detect electromagnetic/radio waves, which only move at the speed of light.

Also, why is Dr. Kulakov refusing to give us the text of the message? What purpose does it serve to keep it to himself, and just telling us snippets of the meaning of the message rather than just letting us see the message?

wevebeenassimilated --
It seems to me that there is nothing to this story other than that -- a "story". What is it about this that would make you say that it "got your attention". I mean, what part exactly got your attention. What part of this seemed more than just a science fiction tale? What part of this seemed to provide evidence that it may be factual?

Personally, it seems to me that the story told in this video is full of holes that need to be explained.

edit on 6/1/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Personally I think it is definitely a hoax. Especially about the 80,000 light year time/distance which should have been 2.5 million light years.

Interesting though! That's why it got my attention.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join