It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic Senator Reveals Nearly $300,000 in Unpaid Property Taxes - D-MO Senator Claire McCaskill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Democratic Senator Reveals Nearly $300,000 in Unpaid Property Taxes

Any way you slice it, $287, 273 is a lot of money, especially in this economy. For one-term Senator Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., up for re-election in 2012, that's the amount of personal property taxes she failed to pay since 2007 on a plane she and her husband, a millionaire businessman, partially owned.

"I have discovered that the...personal property taxes on the plane have not been paid," McCaskill told a small number of reporters on a conference call Monday. "There should have been a reporting to the county of the existence of this airplane...There are people I could blame for this, but I know better. As (a former) auditor, I know I should have checked for myself. I take full responsibility for the mistake." Audio of the call was sent to Fox by a McCaskill aide and can be found here.

The senator said she had done her own "thorough review" of all 89 flights she had taken following a political controversy that erupted recently over the same plane that was first reported by Politico.

The senator had used the plane for political purposes paying for the travel with taxpayer money from her Senate office, a "mistake," the senator said, for which she reimbursed the government nearly $89,000. "All of the money has been repaid for the public funds," McCaskill said Monday.

The senator said she had paid sales taxes on the plane, both local and state, evidence, she said, that she had made no attempt to duck her financial responsibility. "I want to reiterate, there was no attempt to evade the plane...This is just a mistake that I take full responsibility for."

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Oooops... You would think they would be able to get it together and pay their taxes... Lucky she is a Senator... Had she not been she surely would face jail time...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Hey, McCaskill jut pulled a "Rangel". Cool. That's a lot of unpaid taxes on that plane. It should have been seized for delinquency.. Has she blamed her accountant yet?

The days are numbered for our above the law elected officials.
edit on 22-3-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Oooops... You would think they would be able to get it together and pay their taxes... Lucky she is a Senator... Had she not been she surely would face jail time...

You must not have gotten the memo. Senators are not supposed to pay taxes,
it's us "little people" who must pay them.

I like the classic "oops, my bad I must have overlooked it". Sadly, with the insane
tax laws here I doubt there is anyone who really knows all of them. So there is
some plausible deniability, unfortunately they get somewhat different treatment
than the "little people" when they are caught.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

Yeah im done with that line of thinking... It pisses me off that I have to arrest people for breaking the law, while Politicians get a walk.. It pisses me off even more when she is one of my Senators...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Im honestly ashamed that she is the senator for my state. It is a disgrace when our elected officials do not face the same consequences that we do. Yes, the plane should have been seized, and sold to pay the back taxes. They would do it to any little old 98 year old lady in a heart beat, but oh no, not a senator. What happened to our elected officials being held to a higher standard? I simply dont understand it.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Wow! Annual property tax on planes? I never heard of that. I thought that once you paid sales tax on personal property then you had fulfilled your tax obligation. Does she have to pay annual property tax on her vehicles too? How about her household appliances? It's bad enough that we have to pay property tax on real estate, but for possessions...that's ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Typical politician too busy raising the taxes on everybody else to pay her own.

Or typical politician didnt think owning a plane was something a rich person did but more of a working class thing.

Either way typical politician.

These people are like drug addict clepto distant relatives that we foolishly support. Why? Why the hell do we put up with this crap? Then I complain and all these morons come out of the woodwork telling me how much we need these people and how there'd be chaos without them. What the hell is wrong with everybody? Why am I subjected to living under the rule of idiots and tyrants? Every country on this globe is run by idiots and tyrants.

And folks wonder why people snap.

There's no change on the horizon. No real change. Not even fake Obama change. Just more authoritarians and idiots running every aspect of our lives. Is this really how you want to spend your one and only life? Under the thumb of short bus passengers? As a small town shop keeper paying protection money to the mob?

Obviously it is otherwise things would have changed decades ago.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
we get taxed every year for our car.....by the city we live in....
I'm not talking about registration fees, or plates, or whatever.....
this is a property tax....

ya know, since our dear lawmakers can't seem to even make sense out of our tax codes (seem to be worse than we are about it), well maybe it's time they get off their duffs (not to mention out of our wallets), and come up with a more sane tax code!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

No auto tax where you are?
Maybe you just dont own a car?

Sorry, I mean lease a car. You never own anything as long as you're taxed on it.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

No auto tax where you are?
Maybe you just dont own a car?

Sorry, I mean lease a car. You never own anything as long as you're taxed on it.

I pay a $50ish annual registration fee. So I guess that is taxing me. However, I pay no tax on top of that like the poster below my previous post. Texas rocks!

Edit to add that I own another vehicle that I do not use and I do not have to pay anything for that. It sits in my garage unused; however, I pay no registration fee, no taxes, nothing paid at all. BUT, if I ever wanted to legally use it on public roads, then I would have to pay the registration fee, but no back fees.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

For 5 years though? This is not something that just slips your mind, especially considering her background, which she used to hold the Office of State Auditor prior to her election to the Senate in 2006.

Irritation at paying property tax year after year on the same item from you (dont get me wrong, I agree), she of all people should know better.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Just another of the many good reasons to live in Texas. Yes, some states have a yearly personal property tax.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Imagine that.....yet another criminal politician who doesnt pay her taxes. She can join Geithner, Rangle and the long list of other slimeballs who live by the "do as I say not as I do" brand of Americanism.

If she doesnt pay her $300K tax debt she gets a slap on the wrist and a "naughty" finger waved in her direction.

If I as a common plebe fail to pay my $1500 tax obligation, it ballons up to triple the original charge and I lose my property, have my bank account levied and end up in a Federal prison.

It must be nice to be able to live above the law.

top topics

join