It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake in the Carolinas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
www.ajc.com...

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 2.9-magnitude quake struck just after 6 p.m. Monday in an area between Chesterfield and Wadesboro, N.C.

Yes, it is a small one, but they're never "insignificant". There are other reports of shaking being felt in the NE corner of Georgia. I am looking for a link to a reputable source

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Earthquake Details

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 2.9
Date-Time

* Monday, March 21, 2011 at 22:02:04 UTC
* Monday, March 21, 2011 at 06:02:04 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 34.789°N, 80.064°W
Depth 0.8 km (~0.5 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region SOUTH CAROLINA
Distances

* 7 km (4 miles) NNE (20°) from Chesterfield, SC
* 8 km (5 miles) WSW (252°) from McFarlan, NC
* 10 km (6 miles) SW (215°) from Morven, NC
* 50 km (31 miles) ESE (116°) from Monroe, NC
* 84 km (52 miles) ESE (123°) from Charlotte, NC
* 415 km (258 miles) ENE (73°) from Atlanta, GA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 3.7 km (2.3 miles); depth +/- 0.9 km (0.6 miles)
Parameters NST= 16, Nph= 18, Dmin=41 km, Rmss=0.21 sec, Gp=112°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=C
Source

* Southeast U.S. Seismic Network

Event ID se032111m

earthquake.usgs.gov...
There was a smaller one just south of Asheville last week

Earthquake Details

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 2.1
Date-Time

* Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 02:15:33 UTC
* Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 10:15:33 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 35.304°N, 82.481°W
Depth 4.4 km (2.7 miles)
Region NORTH CAROLINA
Distances

* 1 km (0 miles) NNE (19°) from Valley Hill, NC
* 2 km (1 miles) SE (127°) from Laurel Park, NC
* 3 km (2 miles) SW (225°) from Hendersonville, NC
* 31 km (20 miles) SSE (168°) from Asheville, NC
* 150 km (94 miles) W (275°) from Charlotte, NC
* 246 km (153 miles) NE (45°) from Atlanta, GA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 1.2 km (0.7 miles); depth +/- 4.3 km (2.7 miles)
Parameters NST= 12, Nph= 16, Dmin=46 km, Rmss=0.31 sec, Gp= 79°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=A
Source

* Southeast U.S. Seismic Network

Event ID se031611f

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I also see one from several days ago near Huntsville, but not one in Northern GA.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlguy
www.ajc.com...

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 2.9-magnitude quake struck just after 6 p.m. Monday in an area between Chesterfield and Wadesboro, N.C.

Yes, it is a small one, but they're never "insignificant". There are other reports of shaking being felt in the NE corner of Georgia. I am looking for a link to a reputable source

Felt in NC too:
www.wral.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Hmmmm this doesnt look good. what could this mean? Since when has there ever been earthquakes on the east coast?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
What the frack is going on here?

Would a magnitude 5.0+ on Georgia/ Carolinas affect the Gulf of Mexico's waters?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by captainKing098
Hmmmm this doesnt look good. what could this mean? Since when has there ever been earthquakes on the east coast?

There was a tremor (seismologically authenticated) in NJ about 26 years ago (I felt it, I was 13).

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
so that's what I heard.
I just thought it was more
of those booms we've been
hearing. But this one was
shorter in duration.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by captainKing098

dude, there is a fault line
running straight through
the Appalachians.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
What those quakes really are is....

Release the Kraken!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by captainKing098

There are faults all over this earth. Sooner or later they all give a little jiggle, we have had two over 4.0 within the last year and I am in Ontario Canada. In fact we had one last week, my guess is that because of the big one in Japan, most, if not all of the faults are still ringing.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
For what it's worth:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
So this makes 3 within the last week for NC/SC area, within a general localized area. I am in central NC by the way, Fayetteville area. We had the on on the NC/SC border last night. Then NC had 2 last week just south of Asheville. There was a 2.1 last Tuesday night at around 10:30pm and then one the next morning, a 2.3 around 7:30 am.

A couple of quick notes to add. I created a thread on here called "East coast dogs/cats" because my dog was going crazy a few days leading up to that and wanted to see if anyone else in the area or East Coast was having similar issues. And I also participated in the "Compasses going crazy" thread because I am reading a 15 degree difference on my compass to the east. I have no idea if any of this is EQ related or just weird things happening around the same time. But I have lived here for 3 years and cannot recall 3 EQ's so close together in such a short period of time in this area. I do not believe however this is cataclysmic in nature, maybe just an old dorment fault line waking up. I read somewhere recently that some scientist "speculate" that there may be faults running through SC and NC that have yet to be discovered. So that's a possibility also I gues. Oh, and to my knowledge there is no shale located beneath us in this area and no fracking going on so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Take it as you will.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JAGx1981
What those quakes really are is....

Release the Kraken!

as in the spiced rum? or as in the octopus pictured on the label?

anyway just throwing this out there, due to LeoVirgo bringing up the magnetospehere shakin along with the earth as in quakes happening in unison is what I'm percieving, the rumblings, pole shift, CME and a host of alot of other things, which brings some scriptures to mind that I had taken as symbolism alone but... and a question, are we possibly fixing to witness this-

Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.

and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great.

edit on 22-3-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

I've lived in your same area most of my life (over twenty years now), and I don't remember anything like that, either. I saw info about that 2.9 on the evening news...just goes to show you how rare seismic activity is in the area when a 2.9 is a huge news story.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There were 2 just south of Asheville, NC last Wed., a 2.1 and 2.3. There was a 2.9 in Chesterfield, SC last night @ 6:02 ET. I've said this before, I always thought the foothills of NC was pretty safe, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no quakes, no volcanoes. Maybe I was wrong.

Sorry, I didn't read and re-posted info others had already posted. Guess I got excited.
edit on 22-3-2011 by pintobean because: she's retarded.

top topics

join