It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China & Russia call for immediate cease-fire in Libya!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

When did China call on Qaddafi to immediately cease fire on his own people?
Oh wait...

Never mind they didn't.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This a bold display of China and Russia trying to play both sides against the middle. Moreover, it is a weasel move. They could have voted up or down on the resolution. Yet, they refused, and now it is time to contest the resolution after it has passed? The dynamic duo strikes again! It is really quite tiresome how those two nations are conducting themselves. Just pouring on the controversy for the sake of headlines. I would not put much stock into a Chinese frigate heading to Mediterranean waters or Russia and China moaning about this UN Resolution.

As far as this latest military engagement goes, I have been opposed to any international intervention when the protests began and Gaddafi started assaulting the rebels, and especially the involvement of the US. Personally, I feel the US has its hands full with Afghanistan, and the wind down in Iraq. Furthermore, the situation in Libya appears to be more than civil protests for basic human rights, access to employment, food shortages and price hikes, ect., but down right civil war. We all know civil war can get messy, and often times it is hard to distinguish who is friend or foe? I hope this engagement does not turn into a ground campaign, because it would be another unnecessary expenditure, and misuse of military assets which could be used elsewhere. Just recently, US forces have been accused of firing on Libyan villagers in an effort to extract downed pilots.

Marines 'opened fire on villagers' in mission to rescue crash crew

United States Africa Command has confirmed a US F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jet crashed in Libya and the two crew members were rescued.

But a US spokesman "100%" denied any civilians were injured by US weapons fire in the rescue operation.

Reporter Lindsey Hilsum, at the scene of the crash, said the US helicopter came in and opened fire on Monday night, local time, as villagers were handing over one of the downed pilots to local rebel forces.

A man described as a military policeman, Omar Sayd, told the reporter: "We are disturbed about the shooting because if they had given us a chance we would have handed over both pilots."

Gaddafi is a bad man and will do anything when he is back into the corner, but this campaign ought to be a Libyan one. Perhaps, covert assistance would be warranted like Afghanistan during the eighties or a modest support role being given to the Libyan resistance fighters. There have been downright genocides that have gone on with little to no UN support like Rwanda in the nineties, and now Dafur. What makes Libya any different? Moreover, he has made significant strides to smooth things over with the west. Gaddafi has essentially denounced foreign terrorism and has dismantled his secret nuclear program over the years. There is more to this than a madman attacking his people, because there have been numerous occasions of leaders viciously assaulting their people to stamp out civil unrest and rebellions. Again I say, how is this different than other occasions?

No use complaining about it now, because the resolution passed. There is now a foreign military force conducting efforts to install a no-fly zone over Libyan airspace. I never had a medium to voice my concerns, but Russia and China did. They even had a yes or no vote in the UN Security Council, but choose to abstain from it all together. Therefore, we should throw what they are saying in the trash because it is nothing more than hyperbolic rhetoric by those who continue to live in glass houses.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
China is investing heavily in Africa ,

Chinas 50 billion investment in Africa by 2015

16-17 hours ago ,this business article came out ,,

China halts investments in Libya

Cease Fire demands from both China and Russia , Game Over , China ends the No Fly Zone and coalition bombing in Libya on humanitarian grounds so to evacuate her people ..im just hoping anyway

If the alliance attack that warship ... well you know where im going with that , it would be good luck and god bless .

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Oh wait...
Never mind they didn't.

lmao

that's what I like about you Slayer

you can have a debate,
keep it civil
and make us laugh
all at the same time

now that is talent

that is why you remain an asset
to this forum.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Not really, not in the early stages anyway.

If Russia and China back Libya, it is more likely that Iran, Syria, Turky and a few other muslim ntions will gather some corage. If Russia joins them and commences hostilities, it will start with air raids in the US forward bases and other targets in Italy and Greece.

Followed by Islamic ground forces comming by sea and through Turky. Greece first then Italy. They won't worry too much about civillians either (in other words they will contadict their own issues right now). Russia will use it as an excuse to invade some of the countries that ceceeded from them, before headding for France..

Nukes will always be a last resort. The less damage to infrustructure, the better for them when they take over.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
[
edit on 22-3-2011 by StaceyWilson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Oh wait...
Never mind they didn't.

undoubtedly, you know very lil
about Russian Diplomacy.

If Medvedev urged Gadhaffi to stop
killing civilians then he would have
asked him personally and not through
the news channels and we would never
know about it.

Just cuz you don't hear about it in the news,
doesn't mean that it didn't happen

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Dumbass they won't killing civilians they were killing the Al Queda, the #ing terroists who are responsbile for the revolution, Frace said " Hey I want my own little Iraq " so he betrayed Libya

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Plausible denial-ability eh?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Plausible denial-ability eh?

EXACTLY !!!
lol

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Americans are made up many many races... its so sad the way we are potrayed on tv and around the world by our military. I personally grew up in California and have seen america through the eyes of many... being half mexican a quarter dutch and a quarter french canadian i really got to see some amazing and awful things. What other countries see is what they see on tv and hear about in the news... but what they dont see is we are no different from anyone else... we all struggle and have a mistrust in government because it is known power is corruption. I see all these tourists from around the world come into my neck of the woods from places like china and russia and europe enjoying our preserved national parks and fishing in our waters catching our fish enjoying themselves on vacation. Getting excited when they go to the hollywood strip in case they may see something or someone famous they recognize from a movie. They soon realize that americans are very diverse in their culture and ethnicities and have many freedoms and downfalls that come along with those freedoms... but who is truely free... free is only what you understand it to be. I honestly wouldnt call working a nine to five at wal mart or mcdonalds or even cramped behind a desk in a meeting all day discussing downsizing to send all the jobs to china being free. Alot of people see America as this huge out of control drunken white guy with a black guy blimp being tugged around on a rope... but you are simply wrong wrong wrong. I cannot speak for where you may come from but know that America is not one sided or one way we do not all have evil intentions or lust for power... Most of us here have no idea whats going on in the world because thats how we have been kept... we work , and have families, watch tv shows and movies and get online like social media sites, listen to music, and try to enjoy some of the finer things in life even if that means just putting the kids to sleep a little early to relax on the couch with your partner. Or getting into the outdoors for a breath of fresh air. All im saying is all nations have their differences and may not agree on each others agendas but the majority of the people around the world all have the same common goal ..health (food and medicine) ,family(love) and hapinesss (which is comprised of many many things)... It is extremely sad what has to happen to gain peace...but many wars were fought in a few years to bring decades if not centuries of peace. The ultimate goal of all human beings should be to keep from blowing each other up by learning more about each others cultures... Alot of american culture is split up between white,black,hispanic... smaller groups of asian, native american, and middle eastern so for the most part this is all we know... I think we do not understand russia or china the same as they do not understand us as a whole. I believe america is very diverse but not enough of that ethnecity is passed through to the government as you can see by the mostly white politicians running the US.

Everyone who knows cannot lie to themselves , that Ghaddafi would make good of his word of killing his countrymen.
They were standing up for new freedoms and in the past america has stood up for that freedom... so i can see why WE would be over there in Libya... Besides the fact Ghaddafi was calling one of the strongest nations leader in the world "Son" it was a direct slap in the face to Americans watching this in the media who were watching libyans in overthrown regions of libya begging us for help... I really think china and russia need to suck it up ...ive seen what they do to their own people when they want to be "heard"... if you side when them on this issue... Then wait till you are being targeted for wanting a voice to change. Then the guns come out... im sure you will be waiting for some intervention of some kind or flee.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
So, it seems that there a lot of informed, intelligent and yes even opinionated people on here. Not that this is a bad thing, quite the contrary.

I have a question that may get to the meat of all this.

IF there was an actual plan in the works to invade America and IF it came from a China/Russia/Iran etc alliance, what chance would the American real estate have?

From what I see, the military is all over the Globe, the soldiers are tired, there is NO money, the people are not prepared, the infrastructure is weak etc.

Food is a major import and not being produced enough to sustain the population, an aging population at that.

So take out the power grid, drop 1-3 strategically placed nukes to kill the water sources, farmland etc and then what?

From what I can tell, it's not a case of "NO WAY! WE ARE UNSTOPPABLE!" But rather a case of "OOPS...We left the back door open".

I know that there so many other factors in this scenario but you get my point.

So again,

IF there was an actual plan in the works to invade America and IF it came from a China/Russia/Iran etc alliance, (hardly a non-threat) what chance would the American real estate have?

Oh yeah, the Canadians may be few but we're sneaky! We're there for ya!

That's another few million to add to the mix...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gloomyblue707

Dude!

Sentence structure! Paragraphs! lol

Love the input but so hard to read with no break and it all jumbles together. Take pity on us folks with poor eye sight.

lol..joking

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Anyone watch the Daily Show last night? Hilarious and sad... because it's true:

www.thedailyshow.com...

Here's the Colbert Report, also top-notch:

www.colbertnation.com...

If we're all gonna die, may as well laugh while doing it.

PS: any chance of a Libya Forum?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
How much more can the pot of world War 3 be heated before it boils over?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by gloomyblue707

Americans are made up many many races... its so sad the way we are potrayed on tv and around the world by our military. I personally grew up in California and have seen america through the eyes of many... being half mexican a quarter dutch and a quarter french canadian i really got to see some amazing and awful things. What other countries see is what they see on tv and hear about in the news... but what they dont see is we are no different from anyone else... we all struggle and have a mistrust in government because it is known power is corruption. I see all these tourists from around the world come into my neck of the woods from places like china and russia and europe enjoying our preserved national parks and fishing in our waters catching our fish enjoying themselves on vacation. Getting excited when they go to the hollywood strip in case they may see something or someone famous they recognize from a movie. They soon realize that americans are very diverse in their culture and ethnicities and have many freedoms and downfalls that come along with those freedoms... but who is truely free... free is only what you understand it to be. I honestly wouldnt call working a nine to five at wal mart or mcdonalds or even cramped behind a desk in a meeting all day discussing downsizing to send all the jobs to china being free. Alot of people see America as this huge out of control drunken white guy with a black guy blimp being tugged around on a rope... but you are simply wrong wrong wrong. I cannot speak for where you may come from but know that America is not one sided or one way we do not all have evil intentions or lust for power... Most of us here have no idea whats going on in the world because thats how we have been kept... we work , and have families, watch tv shows and movies and get online like social media sites, listen to music, and try to enjoy some of the finer things in life even if that means just putting the kids to sleep a little early to relax on the couch with your partner. Or getting into the outdoors for a breath of fresh air. All im saying is all nations have their differences and may not agree on each others agendas but the majority of the people around the world all have the same common goal ..health (food and medicine) ,family(love) and hapinesss (which is comprised of many many things)... It is extremely sad what has to happen to gain peace...but many wars were fought in a few years to bring decades if not centuries of peace. The ultimate goal of all human beings should be to keep from blowing each other up by learning more about each others cultures... Alot of american culture is split up between white,black,hispanic... smaller groups of asian, native american, and middle eastern so for the most part this is all we know... I think we do not understand russia or china the same as they do not understand us as a whole. I believe america is very diverse but not enough of that ethnecity is passed through to the government as you can see by the mostly white politicians running the US.

Everyone who knows cannot lie to themselves , that Ghaddafi would make good of his word of killing his countrymen.
They were standing up for new freedoms and in the past america has stood up for that freedom... so i can see why WE would be over there in Libya... Besides the fact Ghaddafi was calling one of the strongest nations leader in the world "Son" it was a direct slap in the face to Americans watching this in the media who were watching libyans in overthrown regions of libya begging us for help... I really think china and russia need to suck it up ...ive seen what they do to their own people when they want to be "heard"... if you side when them on this issue... Then wait till you are being targeted for wanting a voice to change. Then the guns come out... im sure you will be waiting for some intervention of some kind or flee.

Yawn.

If half the American citizens revolted, what would happen? Your government would send in the army to crush the 'rebels'. They'd be marshall law. Tens of thousands would be killed, in days.

Your government is no more or less tyranical than Libyas. The only difference is the Libyans found the stomach to start a revolution.

I guarantee you if there was similar revolution the Obama administration would react in much the same way, and crush the 'terrorists' and 'anti-americans'. Infact you can see this. You don't even need a revolution to see it, go look at any number of protestors who've been gunned down like dogs by the American police and military.

The only reason you don't see it is because Americans are too scared to start a revolution. If the Tea Party turned violent and started a real revolt what would happen? They'd be SLAYED!

Not only does the American government have no moral high ground, but they're also arguebly worse than the Libyan government.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
IF there was an actual plan in the works to invade America and IF it came from a China/Russia/Iran etc alliance, (hardly a non-threat) what chance would the American real estate have?

you would probably have the biggest
US Naval Search in the history of
the US looking for enemy subs off
the coasts. A hidden submerged
enemy sub would be the most dangerous
as it's payload would have the shortest
flight time before impact.

Long range bombers can be tracked
ICBM's can be tracked
Enemy Floatillas can be intercepted

subs would cause the most havoc. IMO

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curio

Originally posted by pandapowerjamie
Oh shizzle fizzle this is big stuff.

Jamie

Not really. Of course China will say that - I wouldn't expect anything less. If they were that bothered they would have voted against the UN resolution instead of abstaining.

What Russia, China and the arab league did was #-slap obama. That is all. This is a lesson in how NOT to start a war and obama is on the end of that teaching moment.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

Yawn im tired too... theres protests all the time here in America... the fact that you say they get gunned down like dogs... really? I think they are protesting education cuts right now and the police actually put up a block to block traffic. lol So they could continue to protest. The fact is alot of people are too busy living their lives and dealing with taking care of their family... i really dont see anything like what we see in the middle east happening anytime soon here at home. May be wishful thinking on your part though, I'll give you that. I think unless you were creating havoc and burning down cars busting windows and looting(mase,batons,saltrock to the leg) the most you will get is cuffed and released after a small fine. If anything it would be Canadians gunning americans down like dogs... im pretty sure we both agreed to use each others militaries in civil unrest.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
dear commies FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join