It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher Calls Sarah Palin a Female Vulgarism, NOW Stays Mum

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by crudos

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I personally found Dennis much, much funnier when he was a liberal and attacking Bush Sr. He changed at 9/11 because he basically crapped his pants and decided unilateral war was fantastic and those whom thought we shouldn't invade without thought were wimply asshats...so he switched every single political ideology he had on a dime...which only shows he has no actual views...he just wants to be part of a club...

Dennis Miller used to have some really good writers writing his jokes. Not so much anymore.
edit on 22-3-2011 by crudos because: (no reason given)

He needs to simply drop the comedy then.
I was listening to his show awhile back. He was interviewing some politician about health care (ok, quite awhile back) and he was referring to a book he read about a roman battle...it was intelligent, thoughtful, and did have a impact...it was good stuff, and there was no jokes.
Dennis has a mind, he is a clever chap, very well read.

Then he tried to make some jokes...and he totally lost me..he went from wise sage (although I disagree with his analygys, but thats just philosophical hair splitting) to a total fail clown...his strength used to be high brow comedy...now its just intellectual conservativism...but I think he has a issue with that because he may realize his former cash cow no longer works.

Ben Stein is a fairly amusing high brow intellectual conservative humorist..he sounds perpetually grumpy and uses it to get his political humor across...he however fails on ice when doing just intellectualism in conservativism...he has a better deadpan delivery (like stewart sucks at being a serious politician, but is brilliant at being a politicial comedian)

Go with your strengths, and man up when you realize you "lost it" would be my only suggestion to the whole lot of em...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I like Bill Maher. Actually I find it quite amusing that folks get so bent out of shape over a political satirist/comedian.

You mean just like folks on the left gets bent out of shape over Glen Beck and Dennis Miller? I'll bet liberals consider those guys a laugh a minute!

Deny hypocrisy!

Glen Beck is most certainly hilarious, the chalk board thing gets me everytime, It is a joke isn't it? The whole chalk board treat audience like morons skit

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Glen Beck is most certainly hilarious, the chalk board thing gets me everytime, It is a joke isn't it? The whole chalk board treat audience like morons skit

Would be superb is he played some ominous music in the background during the skit.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
reply to post by SaturnFX

This has nothing to do with his "comedy". This is about the double standard that pervades liberal entertainment. It's okay to refer to Palin like that but don't touch the sacred cow Michelle Obama. [See ain't that funny] Or like when Condelleza was referred to as a "house n@" The one sided defense is getting old. There cannot be selective outrage only when your guy or gal gets bashed. The mind set seems to be its okay if your target is from the right.
edit on 22-3-2011 by hangedman13 because: (no reason given)

Oh, there is nothing sacred about anyone in politics (except arguably children)..its just...well, it isn't humorous. Sorry if people aren't laughing at your jokes...its not because they are exceptionally touchy, its just..well, your not funny.

Also, intentional exposure is different than unintentional exposure. Palin is out there daily trying desperately to make news and -threatening- to be president...michelle is simply tending garden and suggesting we not give children twinkies and chocolate for breakfast on the occasions she does speak. Now, someone like Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Hillary Clinton...sure, have at it. They are total fair game and big sore thumbs.

Also, keep in mind, most complaints about Palin are about her viewpoints...basically summing all of them up as crazy, stupid, etc...this also is total fair game in the arena...yes, you are supposed to challenge and make fun of political opinions..its how we digest things and is healthy to further understand them...but making someone because they are fat..because they are ugly...etc..thats just aiming right for the gutter..

Is that really the best that can be done from the conservatives? Have nothing to say about the ideas, so insult the person's weight?

Laura Bush...was rarely if ever made fun of. She was quiet, she was sweet, and she was non-controversial. First lady's respect...however, since you brought it up...lets say she looked a bit too much like george..probably a product of incest (they are southerners after all), and looked like she had cancer. Nancy Reagen had stupid big hair , etc...what? not laughing? but its a joke...no...its a crappy joke because I am attacking features verses issues...see the difference? I love Laura and Nancy...they were fantastic first ladys...I like Michelle, she does the job justice...Hillary didn't make a great traditional 1st, because she was heavily involved in governing and therefore her ideas and ideals were fair game

nevermind...perhaps you just don't "get it"...but ultimately, the greater public will decide whom is funny, and who gets a AM show to talk with the other disfunctionals of the country...the rest of the "dont get it" culture..tune in daily and listen to fat jokes.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
love bill, we need more like him. this is a free country and people should say whatever and however they want.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
You didn't know that Dennis Miller is a regular contributor on Bill O'Reilly's show, the Factor, just like Beck was before he got his own show?

Nah, I didn't know that, I don't watch Bill-O. However, I wouldn't watch a news station to get my does of laughter. Nonetheless, if Miller is on there and he is in a political discussion, then he is entitled to whatever opinion he may wish to convey. Beck, on the other hand, hosts a "news" show and has been caught numerous times trying to pass off lies as fact. If Beck did that in a humorous or satirical manner on a show that is billed as comedy, then fine. But I take exception with Beck when he attempts to pass off his nonsense as facts or news.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Actually, thats a very clever way to pretend authority.

Chalk Boards have a subconscious attachment to knowledge and authority...put anyone in front of a chalk board and immediately their credibility goes up a few notches just out of a psychological conditioning we all recieved as children.

Put them in front of billboards and such and they remain the same, or even lose a bit of credibility (remind us too much of tests perhaps...judgement and feelings of inadequacy...like my spelling (2 lazy to speelchack)).

The issue is, in my opinion, he is lying. CNN does a bit often on him...truth detector...and each time, when researched on his previous night's show..he gets the "pants on fire" alert...they give the references, etc...he doesn't just distort the truth, he flat out lies to the people, but because he put it on the chalk board, they totally buy it...

He is just a tool though...his stupid paranoia may not be an act, but the directors of the show no less are using him perfectly.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
His ratings must be in the tank, again.

He was far funnier-Pre Palin. Now he seems like an old crazy liberal who spews hate. IMO.

As... I would have never heard about it if it wasn't for the media pushing the story. It isn't news... it's a personal attack. Small minds enjoy that kind of thing... don't you?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
His ratings must be in the tank, again.

He was far funnier-Pre Palin. Now he seems like an old crazy liberal who spews hate. IMO.

As... I would have never heard about it if it wasn't for the media pushing the story. It isn't news... it's a personal attack. Small minds enjoy that kind of thing... don't you?

You know, I am going to agree with you.
I am a die hard liberal (with an evil agenda...muahahaha)...however, Bill Maher is far too angry for me to listen to. He seems resentful and bitter when discussing politics in general, much less the hard anti-right viewpoints.
I prefer witty and pointed humor in my politics, not somewhat amusing, yet clearly seething dogma.

I love his religious stuff...I think that is truely his gig, to expose any and all religions as the madness it is. I think he if completely dropped and and all politics, he could truely become one hell of a movement maker..

I think this also has the attitude behind it...his attitude behind religion in general is that its amusing, stupid, dangerous, yet he isn't passionately hating it...therefore that shows in his comedy. His politics are tainted with hate speech guised behind wit...and that turns me off..

I would assume the thinking man feels the same about Rush Limbaugh (hatred masked as...whatever) and so no truely thinking person can even listen to him without being annoyed at the tone and flipping the station..but meh, to me, emotions behind words matter...I don't do "dark" very well.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Is anyone surprised? This ass-hat can say pretty much anything he wants about anyone and HBO continues to back him to the hilt.

Yeah, freedom of speech sucks doesn't it? Now that we have established Bill is such a bad guy, did you want to defend Sarah Palin's blemishes during her political career, or is it okay when you cause

real

negative consequences to people? Like her mismanagement of funds.

Widespread sexism in the media is one of the top problems facing women, and seriously affects women in politics. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

This isn't sexism, Bill goes after men too. Just because an idiot is a woman, they shouldn't get better treatment than other idiots. And the word he used was a joke, there is no meaning that you can draw from it besides satire.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
So a political comedian/satirist (which ever you want to call him) makes fun of a politician and gets flak and called sexist for it? Can't use that word..on HBO...where people SUBSCRIBE to see him? (including me by the way, not specifically for him but his show is a bonus) Where you don't have to watch, if you don't even subscribe you would never know he was on.

I'm pretty sure I have heard him call others worse, I know he has called men pr--ks before, wouldn't that be the mail equivalent to the "T" word? I didn't even know the "T" word was that bad! I find it funny in nature, not because of what it means but how it sounds...so sharp, yet silly. (mainly bc of a Rodney Carrington bit..but that's for a different day)

By the way...I think it's telling that the complaint is what word he used...not what he was saying. If he called her a bitch would that have been better? A dumb broad (like he has before)? Not to mention he was making a comment on a fake news story,so clearly this was in "The Onion" territory. He's a comedian who insults so he is going to insult, what would be the preferred insult of choice here? If Sarah Silverman called her the "T" word would their be an outcry? I know I have heard her refer to women that way. Let's go after her now!

(sorry mods for censor circumvention...couldn't think of a better way to put that so everyone knew what I was talking about)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by crudos
And your point is? All pretty accurate representations of Failin' Palin, imo.

My point was to demonstrate the level of discourse of the left, calling for her to be raped, ridiculing the disability of her daughter and whatnot. Why point it out? For the educaton of our ATS-reading youth.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

I don't even think it would be considered anything worse than fairly tame words used in public. As to whether it violates t&c I don't know, but wiki gives a good explanation.

As a derogatory insult, a pejorative meaning a fool, synonymous with the word twit

So in other words, the context is 'fool' which is the most important.

The term is used daily by the Brits and even once used by David Cameron, of course, being that he was a public official there were some people that were upset about that.

Bottom line: Fox News are bunch of fools for even talking about this as an 'issue'.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Ahh but the remark in the article that is the issue was not anything about her politics.

Did you hear this – Sarah Palin finally heard what happened in Japan and she’s demanding that we invade ‘Tsunami,’” Maher said. “I mean she said, ‘These ‘Tsunamians’ will not get away with this.’ Oh speaking of dumb tw**s, did you...” Read more: www.foxnews.com...
The Tsunami comment is funny but that little after remark was the point of contention. What was it other then a crude sexist remark ? That had nothing of comedy about it
Although I am in agreement with you about the children they should be off-limits to anybody with a shred of decency. But we saw how well that worked.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
So wait a second here..Is Fox and pals playing the PC card here? I thought only the VAST, HUGE, LIBERAL left wing media did that? This must be a mistake.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13

Ahh but the remark in the article that is the issue was not anything about her politics.

Did you hear this – Sarah Palin finally heard what happened in Japan and she’s demanding that we invade ‘Tsunami,’” Maher said. “I mean she said, ‘These ‘Tsunamians’ will not get away with this.’ Oh speaking of dumb tw**s, did you...” Read more: www.foxnews.com...
The Tsunami comment is funny but that little after remark was the point of contention. What was it other then a crude sexist remark ? That had nothing of comedy about it
Although I am in agreement with you about the children they should be off-limits to anybody with a shred of decency. But we saw how well that worked.

Thats insulting her mind power...again, I find that to be perfectly fine when doing it to a public figure.

Of course my mind is racing as to what tw**s is...a "i" and its fine, a "a" and its a bit sexist but not personally attacking (unless he attacks all females for having one)..mighta been easier to just use the c word and be done with it.

Kids typically are off limits overall. They made fun of the palin kids a bit, and everyone whom did suffered a bunch of blowback. They made fun of chelsey clinton for being a ugly duckling, and there was some blowback from that...however, that doesn't mean these idiots go away...just shoved into the corner with the guys whom do racist and fat jokes...no longer a force to be even considered beyond crappy comedy...both sides of the aisle have their disfunctional idiots

The Bush Daughters were troublemakers..but they were more or less left alone because frankly, most of the nation identified with them as their sons or daughters friends and just put their antics off to..kids will be kids...and it was their actions that got them flack, not simply who they are...like the palin girl making anti-gay remarks on facebook got hammered not for being fat, but because of her public remarks...and so that specific action that is wildly anti-social can and should get hammered.

Pretty sure Sasha and Malia won't be using that type of language on their social networks, or going out and getting ----faced drunk while he is relevant (incidently...watch them...I am betting dime to dollar one of them turns to politics and carrys on the tradition..won't be for another 30 years..just a prediction)

I also think Megan McCain will be a formidable force in politics soon..actually, she may wait for her dad to kick the bucket or at least stop talking before she starts to shine...

But anyhow..as mentioned previously...its HBO...a subscription channel..don't like it, don't watch it and if ratings get bad, his once a week show will get cancelled.

Seriously...besides Ben Stein...is there any high ranking conservative satire comedians? drawing a blank (Stephan Colbert doesn't count...he is about as conservative as tofu)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nomadmonkey
So wait a second here..Is Fox and pals playing the PC card here? I thought only the VAST, HUGE, LIBERAL left wing media did that? This must be a mistake.

The Mainstream Media...the bane of thinking conservatives.
So says the number 1 media "news" outlet anyhow. lol

Clearly Fox has a liberal bias if you believe what Fox says about mainstream media.

Anyhow, ya...go figure, Fox doesn't like a liberal or his show..I wonder if they will ever say anything about public radio's rush limbaugh spewing his vomit daily...naa...they like what he stands for..whatever that is.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
At least someone can stick up to her. Who cares about Palin, an airhead with an iq of probally no higher then 120. Maher don't back down for no one but his TPTB corporate masters.
edit on 22-3-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

How is it sexist? When was the last time their was a public outcry about someone getting called a dick? Seriously, I'm a guy but I would never call sexism over the term being used. People need to grow up.

I suspect it has something to do with Sarah Palin's fan base..

BTW, I don't vote, I am neither left or right. Politics is absurd to me. Call all politicians names, I don't care. They cause real damage, name-calling causes no damage.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

This attitude works both ways, and is perhaps demonstrated best by the ad nauseum accounts of how JFK was more handsome than Richard Nixon:

Against the handsome and charming Kennedy, Nixon, who had recently been hospitalized, looked downright haggard: His wan look was exaggerated by a too-large shirt collar, he perspired, and he refused makeup that might have covered his five o'clock shadow. He glanced at the clock while Kennedy spoke, not realizing he was on camera. "A perfect storm of factors ensured Nixon was not going to look presidential," says Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania.

www.usnews.com...

President John F. Kennedy was young, handsome and charming, with a beautiful wife and adorable children.

The youthful, charismatic Democratic nominee, Senator John F. Kennedy of Massachusetts, stood in stark contrast to the elderly President Dwight D. Eisenhower and his bland vice president, Richard M. Nixon, the Republican candidate in 1960...Kennedy ran a savvy campaign. He looked more "presidential" than Nixon in a series of televised debates...

www.virginiawestern.edu...

Kennedy was relaxed, handsome, good-humored, and gracious. In a distinct Boston accent, he spoke in cool, rational tones that were well suited to the television medium. Matters of tone and personality seemed to separate the candidates in 1960 more than the issues did. Read more: Presidential campaign - John F. Kennedy - war, election, second www.presidentprofiles.com...

The 1960 presidential election was historically important because, for the first time, television played an important part in the election. Both of the candidates were skilled debaters and agreed to appear in four live televised debates. Democrat, John F. Kennedy, appeared tanned, handsome, and young on the cameras, whereas Richard Nixon looked pale, pasty and uncomfortable (partly due to injuries.) Although the viewers who heard the debate on radio thought Nixon won, those who saw it televised thought Kennedy won. Although Nixon prepared better for future debates, the impression damaged him fatally and he lost a close election. The debates were crucial to Kennedy's campaign. When asked what helped him win the most, Kennedy said, "The live televised debates."

www.conservapedia.com...

Style over substance, and image over issues has been the political landscape for sometime and it matters not whether one is a man or a woman, what will be discussed is that man or woman's style and image.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join