It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honshu Quakes increasing.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Well, I really don't know what to make of this, but according to the iris web site, it looks like the last time Japan had a +6 mag quake was March 16th. Today , March 22, 11 days after the major +9 Mag quake, everything seems to be going up. Am I wrong in assuming that this may be a sign that there may be a huge quake in the coming? Couple that with the two mid Atlantic ridge quakes today and I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping am wrong.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Hopefully these indeed are only just aftershocks and dont have a role in the so called major earthquake that is predicted to hit california later today
edit on 22-3-2011 by Jbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
There is anacdotal evidence of the moon implied with quakes,as the earth causes quakes on the moon read page 1 and 2 of this article,seems debateable to geologists and scientists but accuracy and predictive occurrences are not reliable as a positive outcome but there is evidence of correlation.albeit
in unpredictive/inaccurate variables.
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Page two
The Earth and moon are closest together—at perigee—once a month. The Earth and sun are closest together—at perihelion—once a year. Perihelion currently occurs in early January. Maximum gravitation force occurs when a syzygy and perigee occur on the same day as perihelion. According to Berkland, seismometers left on the moon by Apollo astronauts show that moonquakes occur most frequently at perigee. "So we know Earth's gravity triggers moonquakes. I don't think any scientist disputes that," Berkland said. "When I learned that, I went to my former [U.S. Geological Survey] colleagues in Menlo Park [California] and pointed out this really exists, so what's so difficult about turning it around?" According to Berkland, the U.S. Geological Survey said such a theory is ridiculous—the Earth is 82 times more massive than the moon. Though the Earth can trigger quakes on the moon, they said, the moon is too small to trigger any earthquakes. But the moon is mostly solid and lacks a liquid core like the Earth, Berkland said. The Earth "is an active, living planet, and so it is not at all surprising that minor gravitational stresses can trigger earthquakes," he said. Using syzygy and other factors—such as the number of cats and dogs listed in the lost and found in newspaper classified advertisements—Berkland said he accurately predicted several earthquakes, including the October 17, 1989 earthquake in San Francisco, California. Berkland said the number of cats and dogs reported missing goes up prior to an earthquake. The numbers went up significantly prior to the 1989 San Francisco quake, he said. At least two major quakes may suppoort Berkland's theory. The December 26, 2004, magnitude 9.1 in Sumatra, Indonesia, occurred on the day of a full moon. Likewise, the March 27, 1964, magnitude 9.2 earthquake in Alaska occurred on the day of maximum high tide. According to Berkland, such correlations are more than coincidences. They demonstrate a true connection between the moon and earthquake activity, he said. But Bellini, the U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist, said, "There is still no known observation of an effect related to the moon and seismicity." In a follow-up email to National Geographic News, Bellini questioned the scientific validity of Berkland's predictions. He said they appear to be "self-selected statistical analysis of historical seismicity rates and are so vague in time and location that they are certain to be correct."

So some academics are watching it and studying it as can be read,obviously when earth is closest to sun would cause earthquakes but anacdotal evidence of moon as predictive except on certain dates..
Perigree,apogee dates.www.fourmilab.ch...
Predictive new moon,full moon phase dates if truewww.new-age.co.uk...
edit on 22-3-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kassych

I noticed there's been a few 6+ quakes off the Japanese Coast today too.
Damn, when is it going to settle down for them so they can try to cope with what's already happened!?

It would be interesting to know if this has happened before in the world - so many big aftershocks continuing for so long after the main(?) quake, that is.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by kassych

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

thank God,, Seattle-- is not, on that list..

6 or so,, large quakes,, off the east coast of Honshu, Japan

just in the last few hours...
edit on 3/22/11 by darrman because: add a line

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist
reply to post by kassych

I noticed there's been a few 6+ quakes off the Japanese Coast today too.
Damn, when is it going to settle down for them so they can try to cope with what's already happened!?

It would be interesting to know if this has happened before in the world - so many big aftershocks continuing for so long after the main(?) quake, that is.

Actually I have been following these quakes since they started, WELL before Mar. 11th. These cannot be classified as aftershocks they are independent EQ's

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
According to the USGS today, Japan has had 3 quakes over 6, one at 5.9, and 13 quakes over 5.0. This does seem like a lot of aftershocks to me as well. This Japan series has had me concerned since it began, it just does not seem to fit with the usual aftershocks of other large quakes. Perhaps the quakes are having a little help?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I would encourage everyone to head on over to this thread from ATS member TrueAmerican. TA has put a lot of effort and research into Japan and earthquakes and is EXTREMELY knowledgable about all of this. As well as several other well known members of the ATS community who have vast knowledge on earthquakes. All have posted over there regularly and many of your questions have already been answered over there.

ATS Thread - Critical New Earthquake Could Mean Impending Disaster For Japan

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

thanks UtahRosebud..will get to it.

top topics

join