It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is happening here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I've lurked on this site for a long time. I've only been a contributing member for a short period. I have noticed a great decline in the quality of posts, and the conduct of users, as of late.

What has happened?

Why are the star and flag systems being used as candy to hand out to everyone to who took the time to click submit? How are we supposed to flag important threads if every pointless thread (including blank ones) gets 10 flags almost instantly? Who is sitting on the sit hitting refresh and flagging every darn thread?

And what the heck is with some of the people lately. some people are outright rude, others are so touchy you can't even post a thumbs up without upsetting them.

Why am I a disinfo agent or troll if I disagree with you?

Why are so many baited threads being created? You know what I mean, ones that right off the bat are going to draw racist comments. Is this being done on purpose to actually weed out those users?

It's funny and I'm in the middle of complaining but..... why are so many people coming here and whining and complaining when someone disagrees with them, or proves them wrong?

Maybe I was confused as to the nature of ATS. I thought it was a forum, a community, in which topics could be discussed from all angles, but instead what I see is "Believe it or you are a troll" instead. honestly some people are so far up their own butts they think half of us here are paid to spread disinformation here.

I'm almost ready to call this the ATS psychosis. Everything I say is fact, regardless of proof, and anyone who asks for proof, or questions it, is a government agent monitoring my online activity. How full of yourself do you honestly have to be to believe that?

Ya ya, I know, the government runs propaganda and all that, i get it, but they aren't running it against some half literate thread on ATS, sorry folks, we're simply not that important.

What IS important is the fact that I no longer see ATS as a source for credible information. Those days are over. It's now hoaxes and pseudo science and any attempt to bring rational thought or SCIENCE into the debate turns ugly, on both sides, I admit that freely.

I used to think that someone would come here with information, present it to the community, then we'd dig and pull and research to prove or disprove it. Now the very thought of investigation means I'm a disinfo troll on the government payroll.

The Mayan 2012 prophecy is made up, they made no such prophecies and there is ample proof to support this, but any time I mention it, i'm a close minded disinfo troll.

H.A.A.R.P. can not control the weather, nor can it create earthquakes, again, disinfo troll government agent.

the moon is exactly where it should be, not crashing into the earth.

there is no nibiru and any "references" to it in Mayan history or Sumarians, is made up as well, ample proof, no matter, disinfo troll.

So from now on, I consider it a badge of honor to be called a disinfo troll by some of you here, at least I'd putting some effort into it to find out the truth, whatever that might be, and that is more than a lot of people here can say.

I'm sad, but i know the community is strong and we can turn this around and make this a two sided debate again.

/end of transmission

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I was gonna star and flag this, but you kinda scared me out of it.

But seriously, i agree to many are being handed out, and people who deserve S&F are not receiving them. I see some great posts that people have put time and effort into and no-one has starred it. While sound bite rubbish gets 20 stars.
edit on 22-3-2011 by petdog82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

lol I just gave you a star and a flag.

I agree with you though. I usually only read through the conversations to see what is going on and stuff but lately it seems people are getting pretty touchy. Maybe the magnetic field is switching and somehow fudging up our brains and making us crazy angry. Personally I think many of us are just stressed from the economy and the toilet that our planet is turning into and to be honest I think its just human nature.

I compare ATS to driving down the highway. You get the guy who goes 57 in a 65 in the left lane and break checks anybody near him while there's the other guy who sees him and wants to tailgate him even if he gets in the middle lane. Then you get the guy who slows down when somebody is behind them and speeds up when they try to pass him and flashes his brights on and off and then moves on to somebody else and slows down again when you pass him. People just love messing with other people, they get off on it.

Who knows, whatever it is its only temporary and ATS will survive the turmoil.

Some of its actually pretty funny though...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
LOL I do see the humor is the star and flags. I myself am guilty of slapping a few stars and flags on stuff that probably didn't merit it. It's just so hard to find the good stuff. Japan for example, it got so retarded that they had to create a separate forum section just for it!

Meh I'll just try to grow a thicker skin and be more patient

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Man, if you think its bad now, wait until school lets out for the summer.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Star and flag!
The reason is quite simply psychology.
Why do the Jerry Springer shows do so well?
Why are these type of shows on during the day when "unemployed folk" are home?
Why are the "fat person" you too can lose 20 lbs in 15 days, infomercials on in the middle of the night?
Ok i'm going too far, but drama.
People love drama, the same reason online videos of people getting hurt are so popular.
We all love to see others pain, and if were gonna experience pain for ourselves, then why not cyberpain?
Cyberpain goes away as soon as you click the close page button.
We love drama and have nothing better to do.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I have always said that doing away with the star and flag system..would do away with a lot of the non-sense on the boards..

People would have no choice to accept the fact that ATS is not a talent contest.. It is a place for like minded people to meet up and engage in intellectual conversation, and debate like minded subjects.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Good idea yes and no.
We could appoint a panel to assign which topics are real and of use to the community in general but,....
This is a conspiracy site above all else and we "Tinfoil hat" types would just scream "censorship"!
So, what can ya do?
All the star and flag is for is a paid beauty contest really, just ignore the shiny buttons and we all do fine.
I already got mah cool avatar and cool words next to my name and rats doesn't give much info anyway.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
When did "debunker" become pejorative.. I always thought that debunking was truth seeking.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This thread needs more S&F's

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

About the flag and star system... This week, someone posted a one line thread ( of course with a link ), but the poster only wrote a line by him/herself, and last I checked, there was a hundred flags and about the same with stars...
, was my initial reaction, then

While some other threads that were worked hard upon barely received attention... ( Nope, not talking about mines.
)

Maybe there should be a minimum contribution in an OP to allow for flags and stars to kick in? Or stars being immediately available only for the sake of bringing the subject to everyone's attention, and flags would be made available only if a minimum of quality contribution is displayed... Or the contrary...

Don't flame me for saying this while being a newcomer!!!

new topics

top topics

join