It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does Star and Flag mean?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
im new here and i always see on posts people saying like S+F for you or thing like star and flagged. what exactly does that all mean. sorry if this is a dumb question =x

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Stars are for good posts..While flags are giving out for good threads..

Welcome to ats..
NOW GO EARN SOME STARS, AND FLAGS!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
so up top it says i have 3 flags is that a good thing ?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Jbones

[color=dodgerblue]Yes.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
although it is important to use stars and flags, it is not important to announce in the thread that you have done so.

many people, particularly the newer members, appear to have quite a high opinion of themselves.....announcing for everyone to behold the star and flag that they have bestowed upon a thread.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jbones
so up top it says i have 3 flags is that a good thing ?

It does help draw attention to the thread from other members. It does give your profile points. I flag a thread if I think it is important and other members should read it.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
As originally intended, they are intended to show the quality of a thread or post. Flags for threads, stars for posts.

In reality, however, they are given out like lollies at a children's birthday party.

I saw a thread today that had no point, had no reason, and before I knew it, it had 4 flags and about 6 stars...

Some people star every post thinking it's good karma, making the entire system useless.

Others flag threads that are in no way valuable to ATS and perpetuate hoaxes.

But whatever floats their boats, I don't put much stock in how many of what who has, I can often tell the quality of a persons post by their username or the topic.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

And that's exactly what the flagging is for, it's being misused for the most part as people are just flagging every darn thread they read making the members picks a waste of time. Star if someone posts something relevant to the thread, flag for a good thread that others might want to read or contribute to.

It's not a popularity contest though some treat it as such.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

quality of a persons post by their username

Lol wow, but sadly it's almost true, you can usually see which way a person is going to lean by their name and the images presented in their avatar / signature.

Wonder what that says about me? lol

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
ahh okay i just wanted to clarify everything. thanks

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It's the e-peen thingie this website uses to make posting here more of a competition for acknowledgement than anything else (for us)

And a way to categorise every member and their interests/opinions (for "them")

Anyway, welcome to the club

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I probably would have come up with a nickname for the site if i could have thought of on

But alas i couldn't lol
So used my real name and pic.
Lea

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
"S & F" is supposed to be short for "I have given your post a star and your thread a flag, because I think it's important."
It sometimes made me smile, on my own threads, to see this, when it was obvious enough that no stars or flags had been added (my threads are slow-moving, so it's easy to tell).
I think in those cases the phrase was just being used as a general sign of approval,

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jbones
im new here and i always see on posts people saying like S+F for you or thing like star and flagged. what exactly does that all mean. sorry if this is a dumb question =x

Greetings from Sweden, Jbones! Im quite new here too. I hope you will enjoy your roller coaster ride down the rabbithole. Essentially; do not let the SnF thing distract you too much, as it really is just a subjective way of "digital appreciation". Have an open mind and follow your heart, whatever some SkeptIcons and Conspiranoids may say. Warm welcome/Take care!

/T

top topics

join