It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vanity Fair: Conservatives only praised Japanese people because they are racist

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

Yeah, it's similar to the Overton Window. Just like you couldn't show a married couple in bed together 50 years ago and now you have Dennis Franz @$$ on network TV or a naked woman (full frontal) on the series opener of SG-1! Sex, drugs, rock & roll, murder, mayhem all the time! Back in the day on Maude (not that I am that old but my grandma made me watch reruns...lol) Bea Arthur's character (Maude, oddly enough) was pregnant and was going to get an abortion. The controversy and outcry a the time because of this was HUGE! Now people have sex and get abortions and take morning after pills like it's no big deal (both on and off screen).

I guess my arguement is that if the window can slide to the right (as in the above examples from NO SEX to SEX ALL THE TIME) then why couldn't the window slide to the left, say from EXTREME racism like lynch mobs, Jim Crow, etc.. to less overt racism so that ANY racist act becomes a big frickin' deal (as our esteemed VP would say...lol). Imagine if some lynch mob hung a black dude in Selma, Alabama today for "cohabitating with a white southern belle.".... The outcry would be EXPLOSIVE, not just among African-Americans but the whole nation, whereas 100 years ago it would be "they hung a black? Oh well, what did he do?" (no offense to my fellow humans of the african persuasion, just making a point...)

Ok, I'm rambling again, Sorry, I took my Ritalin today....lol!

--Apex

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This may be a bit much in the way of a generalization, but in this sense... and since the buyout of the press by 'other' concerns; public commentary about racism is usually political fodder, meant to bolster the political theater by inserting a wedge between people.

It doesn't matter that all situations are unique, that every person is an individual responsible for his or her own behavior, that pride and good citizenship are only acknowledged when it is politically expedient and only in a manner to facilitate the consumption of their particular "media" over their particular medium. It doesn't even matter that communities of individuals respond very differently from people who feel they are 'on their own.'

All that matters is that you are listening to them, explaining in their authoritative and all-knowing way 'what is what' and 'how things are.'

The moment the word "conservative" was evoked, I knew this was political pablum. The moment I saw the word 'racist' I knew it was speaking not 'of' but 'to' the shallowest element of our society... the one's who want (and have been led to need) simple one-word explanations that fuel the spectator sport of political theater.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

As someone who considers himself a left leaning sort of a chap, I personaly regard any overt angst toward the MSM on this particular topic, to be largely unjustified. Its totaly fair to say that its interesting that no looting or craziness has been reported from Japan, during such an all encompassing , devastating series of events, AND to draw comparisons with comparitively less damaging events, and thier attendant looting and rioting.

However, to assume that the intent of the reportage is to suggest that the reason for the comparitive peace with which events are being handled , is somehow to throw blame for the looting in NO on blacks and minority groups is absurd. The events which conspired against the city of New Orleans were badly managed by all the national, state and local bodies which dealt with the crisis, and unlike in Japan, provision of support materials like food, shelter and so on, were NOT provided equaly, and according to ease of access to communities.
My take on the way these things are being reported, is that in fact the reportage shows up the infrastructure of New Orleans, and the frankly pathetic governmental response to the disaster, rather than pointing accusative fingers at any one demographic within the population of New Orleans.

As a dirty lefty, I have to say that I am impressed by, and supportive of the resolve with which Japanese people are handling this incident. I am happy that on top of the devastation by the quake, the scouring of the land by the influx of the sea, and the radiological catastrophe which is unfolding there, that the Japanese have avoided the looting and mayhem which has followed other natural disasters in recent memory, all over the world. I am also proud that my nation has sent medical and rescue professionals to help deal with the job of clearing out survivors and bodies from the wrecked settlements up and down the coast affected by the waves.

I see no reason to detract from that resolve and determination, evident on the faces of every Japanese face you see on the news broadcasts, by turning the events there into an excuse to attack the right wing, or the MSM for that matter. The right wing and the MSM may be damned close to one another from time to time, but on this occasion I do not see a correlation between right wing agendas and the style or content of reportage from Japan.
edit on 22-3-2011 by TrueBrit because: Spelling, which is probably still awful... sorry

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Apex Predator

I couldn't agree with you more.

The Japanese do take shame seriously. You carry a name proudly and live in ways that do not taint that name because the rest of the family carries it as well.

Somewhere along the lines, most of us have forgotten what shame is. I look at police mugshots and the criminals look smug, content, and proud. Very few look like they could just die because they have been arrested. One's name gets printed in the local paper for shoplifting and they wear it like a badge of honor instead of being completely embarrassed.

More of us could learn to be a little more humble and attempt to atleast understand what pride in ones own behavior entails.

It is easier to call "racism" than it is to examine why we would not behave half as well in the same situation.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ag893
it isn't just conservatives toting this racism around praising the japanese for the disaster and comparing NO. It's ignorant people with no heart. The katrina victims (

Hold on...we dont consider it racism. When I heard the praise for Japan, Katarina or looting blacks did not once cross my mind. Not once. Even when some mentioned that Japanese dont loot did blacks or Katarina cross my mind. Its just not something that is on my mind.. They think this is the stuff on our minds.But for the most part praise of Japan is just praise of Japan..

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
It's culture not race.

The bad Katrina behavior was coming from a beautiful rainbow of ill prepared and criminal scumbags.

If you're going to broad brush people who are glad to see some people somewhere not cannibalize each other in the face of disaster it would have to be that they're all just sick of Americans and their bull# and wish to show those Americans that living another way is possible.

And what do those American's do? Get defensive and start in with that bull# theyre so famous for.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Bingo...Thisguyrighhere. Well said. And with an economy of words for which I lack..well said.

I get very tired of this racist pablum..attaching onto everything and anything..everything is racism...and the Usual Suspects doing it. The Usual predictable template. It is getting extremely wolfie.

Glad to see more people are out here who can think for themselves and cut the racism guilt control strings.

Thanks,
Orangetom

edit on 22-3-2011 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This is also connected to Japanese being a little too capitalistic for the left, hence their victim-ness not being worth as much as the victim-ness of other nations. Sound crazy? Thats because it is.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
So East Asian societies are apparently much more successful and stable than Black societies are.
Just HOW is pointing this out "racist"?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Reply to post by lucid eyes

Your one of the intelligent folks then. Because as soon as everyone saw the Japanese not freaking out, I saw the same threads for at least 3 different forums spring up talking about the comparisons between New Orleans victims and the Japanese. While blatantly leaving out Chileans who were also looting and shooting after the Chile quake.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
New Orleans has been deliberately burned into the public conscience by a very manipulative and compliant news media and body politic. It is natural that the public would have this as a stark contrast..because of the very poor tactics of the body politic, news media, and now the education system in promoting such "Victimization through racism."

I find myself astonished that someone would protest racism ..and New Orleans when it is the media and the body politic which so deeply burned this template into the public conscience. Then when it backfires on them by contrast with the Japanese..they protest racism again. Wow!! Talk about a television and movie education.

I will say that again ...someone out here..paying for public education is promoting Racism as a tool to manipulate the public....by guilt tactics.

And now when the contrast in the social structures shows up...Racism once again..by preconditioning raises its ugly head in order to play through by default. This simply because a sufficient number of people now recognize the difference in the programs being run on them here. And they are asking sufficient and succinct questions.
They realize that there is a stark difference in the people in Japan and the people here in the States. Here in the States they attribute it... like programmed sheep to racism...as racism is all they have been fed over and over and over.

Now they have a contrast by which to compare. ..and they are looking beyond the Racism paradigm.
But a compliant whorish media/ body politic, and public education non standards want to return the public to racism. It is the best they have.

Not everyone out here is buying into it.

These people..the Japanese ..while in a very bad situation are not screaming "Victim...victim...give me goodies..I deserve it the others don't....You owe me."

I have a prediction for the next election...here in 2012.

Two of the most prominent themes in this upcoming election will be racism..and sexism..the women's vote. Someone out here is going to "Parasite" the public ..meaning ...."DIVIDE" the public along these lines in order to get for themselves these important votes.

Racism is in time going to be seen and understood by the public as a type of Parasitical conduct to control or intimidate a whole group of the public for votes and control. By DEFAULT.
So too will it be with the women's issues. These templates work by default..by making others feel guilty in order to silence them and thus control..this is censorship. Subtle but very definite censorship...by attempting to make you feel guilty unto silence.
Some of you out here need to wise up to the hoax which is being played/manipulated on you.

Two more groups are being carefully cultivated for votes and power over the rest of the population and this can be seen by people who can still think outside of the politic, television, media box.

Illegal aliens and the homosexual groups. These two groups are being carefully cultivated/catered to just like the two previous groups for votes and power. Particularly in high electoral vote states.

These two groups are also attempting the same "Victim/guilt/censorship/silencing " techniques. This is also a very strong indicator that the same people or peoples/groups are manipulating or running these groups as they are the racism and women's groups. They have the same method of operation.

It is for this reason that the "Victimization doctrine or dictum" must be kept alive and only appear to be solved..or something done about it.

The "Victim Dictum Dogma" was carefully brought into the public conscience by the talk show format years ago by Phil Donahue and has now spread deeply into the public conscience and did not escape the notice of the body politic as an important tool to control an unthinking overly emotional populace raised on a diet of television and movies. Do I need to take a lie detector/DNA test on this???

It is a very important tool and key in getting people to feel "Guilty" and thus easily controlled to being neutral/silent or at least defaulting through others on the public vote and purse.

Japan sits in stark contrast to this "Victim Dictum/Racism paradigm. That is why Racism is once again brought to the forefront ..it is the best they have.

This has become clear in the last few years ..such that whenever anyone disagreed and did not allow others to default through..they were automatically branded as racist. Anyone dissenting or protesting was branded and labeled a "Racist." It is the best that some groups out here can do ..the best label they have.

And the public who can still think for themselves ..is catching on and tiring of it. It is become to predictable/wolfie.

Light is being put on it.

Thanks,
Orangetom
edit on 24-3-2011 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Liberals love abortion because they hate babies.

Well, why not? If we can accuse conservatives of racism why not liberals of delighting in infanticide?
edit on 24-3-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ag893
Reply to post by lucid eyes

Your one of the intelligent folks then. Because as soon as everyone saw the Japanese not freaking out, I saw the same threads for at least 3 different forums spring up talking about the comparisons between New Orleans victims and the Japanese. While blatantly leaving out Chileans who were also looting and shooting after the Chile quake.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

If we was in Chile I imagine we would make the Chilean comparison.

But no, we are in America and instead of pointing out what others have done we pointed at ourselves and asked why we can't behave this way during a disaster. What good would it do to say that the Chileans acted like idiots also?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I have to admit I did notice the way in which people were making such a big deal about the way the Japanese behaved in the face of crisis. The media behave a little differently when reporting the earthquake in Haiti that killed 320,000 people. The media was obsessed with trying to find evidence of looting and social breakdown/

top topics

<< 1   >>

join