It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the world's largest super-volcano set to erupt for the first time in 600,000 years, wiping out t

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

The super-volcano beneath Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming has been rising at a record rate since 2004
It would explode with a force a thousand times more powerful than the Mount St Helens eruption in 1980.

Spewing lava far into the sky, a cloud of plant-killing ash would fan out and dump a layer 10ft deep up to 1,000 miles away.

Two-thirds of the U.S. could become uninhabitable as toxic air sweeps through it, grounding thousands of flights and forcing millions to leave their homes.

But hampered by a lack of data they have stopped short of an all-out warning and they are unable to put a date on when the next disaster might take place!

When the eruption finally happens it will dwarf the effect of Iceland’s Eyjafjallajökull volcano, which erupted in April last year, causing travel chaos around the world.

The University of Utah's Bob Smith, an expert in Yellowstone's volcanism told National Geographic: ‘It's an extraordinary uplift, because it covers such a large area and the rates are so high.

‘At the beginning we were concerned it could be leading up to an eruption.’

There are pictures on this website! Geographical pictures also!

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 22-3-2011 by kid_cudi because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Added EX tags. Please don't simply copy and paste material from external sites. Copy the first paragraph, provide a link AND add your own thoughts/opinions on the article.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
You must be an expert on volcanoes,all that text straight off the top of your head.Are you worried?
edit on 22-3-2011 by 12voltz because: i feel stupider after reading about your No Moon thread

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
....how can that much rise in land mass not raise a red flag?
S&F OP!

+22 more 
posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
You must be an expert on volcanoes,all that text straight off the top of your head.Are you worried?
edit on 22-3-2011 by 12voltz because: i feel stupider after reading about your No Moon thread

Why do you come into every thread I make and say something irrelevant to the topic? u bashed me
In my last thread and your pretty much doing the same here so from now
On I am ignoring you!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
all the time you cry wolf about 'Yellowstone' .

Yellowstone won't blow .but the economy of USA will .

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by USAisSatanic

Yellowstone will blow, you just dont know when it will. You will be prancing around running naked and then an ash cloud will come to you and we will say like Nelson: Haha

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kid_cudi

I think you just have a friend there. He/she, according to your post, follows you around. Good for you! Anyhow, Yellowstone eruption . . . I believe it is very possible . . . and very soon, relatively speaking.
edit on 22-3-2011 by nonnez because: assexual

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nonnez

I think you just have a friend there. He, according to your post, follows you around. Good for you! Anyhow, Yellowstone eruption . . . I believe it is very possible . . . and very soon, relatively speaking.

It is a very real scenario and reality and it might actually happen very soon! History repeats itself! The worlds gets destroyed and then recovers and them destroyed again!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kid_cudi

Why do you come into every thread I make and say something irrelevant to the topic? u bashed me
On I am ignoring you!

Good on you mate, after all who can trust a government hell bent on profit and power, telling lies to achieve there own ends. Considering that we have all these so called safety experts and regulations when there planes still fall out of the sky actions speak louder than words, stuff happens and when it does, they write reports and give themselves pay rises, always go with your instinct after all thats all you have. Your officials wont talk until its to late then they will write reports. And as far as your detractors go they may be pointing one finger at you but there are three pointing back at them :-)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kid_cudi

On I am ignoring you!

Good on you mate, after all who can trust a government hell bent on profit and power, telling lies to achieve there own ends. Considering that we have all these so called safety experts and regulations when there planes still fall out of the sky actions speak louder than words, stuff happens and when it does, they write reports and give themselves pay rises, always go with your instinct after all thats all you have. Your officials wont talk until its to late then they will write reports. And as far as your detractors go they may be pointing one finger at you but there are three pointing back at them :-)

+17 more 
posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
You're supposed to indicate external quotes.
But why didn't you include this part of the article?

But he added: ‘Once we saw the magma was at a depth of ten kilometres, we weren't so concerned.
‘If it had been at depths of two or three kilometre we'd have been a lot more concerned.’

And then, there is this:

Ground Deformation Summary: Continuous GPS data show that uplift of the Yellowstone Caldera has slowed significantly and may have stopped.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

It's actually deflating now.

edit on 3/22/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
You're supposed to indicate external quotes.
But why didn't you include this part of the article?

But he added: ‘Once we saw the magma was at a depth of ten kilometres, we weren't so concerned.
‘If it had been at depths of two or three kilometre we'd have been a lot more concerned.’

And then, there is this:

Ground Deformation Summary: Continuous GPS data show that uplift of the Yellowstone Caldera has slowed significantly and may have stopped.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

It's actually deflating now.

Because I gave you and intro to read and then you go to the site and read the rest!

edit on 22-3-2011 by kid_cudi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

You are supposed to separate your statements from those of the article (like I just did). Otherwise it is considered plagiarism.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Oh Phage, you ruined my whole evening of worry and suspense, dang you man, dang you! Oh, what shall I occupy myself with now . . . anyhow . . . moving along . . .

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
God speed, I hope it wipes out America's thirst for oil and the corporate greed that continues to rape impoverished parts of this world, I feel sorry for the innocent, yet...they are just like the people being bombed in Libya for ill-conceived agendas.

Play on mind, play on thought, leaving minds...all distraught.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Sounds_of_Silence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

You are supposed to separate your statements from those of the article (like I just did). Otherwise it is considered plagiarism.

Sorry Mr. Teacher didn't mean to offend you. and yes I know exactly what it is! But I also gave you the source and I never said that any of that was my own words! u do a nice job of discrediting people work! Thanks

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
They have been saying this for a while now. The fact is, we do not know when its going to erupt, so i am no longer interested in Yellowstone until there is a serious development that gives us an insight into when it might go.

or if it does actually blow that will grab my attention for sure!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Wiping out 2/3 of America?? That's got to be the best news for this planet in 100 years.... Honestly, does anyone but Americans really care if America got wiped out of the world? doubt it..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join