It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States Civil War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The U.S. is currently in the throes of a cultural civil war. It has yet to break out in armed violence, but it is obvious the country is divided. Conservative/Liberal, Pro-Bush/Anti-Bush, Pro-Abortion/Pro-Life, Pro Gay Marriage/Anti Gay Marriage, Pro Gun Control/Anti Gun Control, Athiests/Agnostics/Christians/Muslims,Jews....a melting pot divided. Look at the last Presidential Election, the near 50/50 split in the vote, the still contested Florida Situation. When will the lid on this pressure cooker explode? The people on both sides have vehement beliefs, nearing hatred of one another at times. The Left hates the Right, the Right hates the Left. Liberals vs. Conservatives. Is the country doomed? What person can bring these two opposing viewpoints together? Cultural civil war. A war between belief systems. Is the United States ready to implode from within?

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I don't think it will get that far. The men in history were more rugged down to earth and had a firm belief in what was right and wrong, and the other side as well, but now the political arena is more jazzed up, more professional, and people are definitely not what they used to be.
It's become more of verbal and emotional. Before people were more physical, they didn't have laws against using guns against eachother ect... Now everything is red taped and I believe people are more afraid of the consequences of their actions these days.
Civil war is a thing of the past, I maybe wrong but I personally think it won't happen because of how the times have changed.
I don't even think a war will break out against the government, people have been brainwashed, tv is media and media knows how to get through our minds, we've become a zombie like nation when it comes to politics both sides have the same answers as the media does, they don't know anymore then them so all they go off of is what they hear, and I don't think that will break out in war.
We've also become a protest nation, which are labelled "peaceful" protests, nobody has the equipment to match up the governemnt, nobody is going to go to a protest and start opening fire on the opposite party, while the government as advanced, the people have stayed in the past, bear arms, sure we can bear arms, but the gov't can bear tanks, bombs, tear gas, big water trucks, everything. And this should of never happened because now we'll never be able to keep the government in check.
And people won't fight against eachother because if they did open fire after all was said and done the perpetrators would end up behind bars and nobody wants that... It's very unlikely it would happen. What will happen and is happening now is people are lashing out in different ways, whether it be through abusive situations, sexual assault, degredation, road rage, more tension and anger within the more people bottle up the more likely they are to explode in the future, it will be everything but civil war... It will just come out thought different situations..

[edit on 22-7-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
In my personal views, I see a lot of dissatisfaction in the people around me and I will have to include myself.

I think we are living in a very vulnerable time in the history of this country, the 9/11 and the development after that has show to this nation that we are not invincible, and the decisions of our politicians have left people wondering.

We are getting to a point in wish our country is waiting through democratic ways to see a change in our nation and is like a tip of the ice, this nation either will get stronger and get out of these feelings of doom or get feed up enough to have some groups going out and do something about it.

Right now are too many expectations and as soon elections come and go we will see how strong this nation really is.

If something get in the way of our democratic rights in the next election I thing something will happened.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Vefy inciteful postings here. I feel the same way. While I am definitely on one side of the fence I am very worried because while I don't feel a civil are is imminent, the country is so divided now. Who benefits from this? The real enemy, terrorists.
I don't hate most people that have opposite political views (some I do simply because I think they go too far in their rhetoric). I think that the division will not abate anytime soon. We really need to stay focused as a country and stop the bickering but this is wishful thinking. I will say this, it is my belief that one side hates the other much more though. This is obviously apparant on a daily basis. Funny, when you meet someone for the first time and hit if off you don't even consider their political beliefs. This proves that for the most part, we are decent people that welcome others into our lives if politics don't come into play. It is also disconcerting that so many of the Euro's seem to view us as bad people on the whole.
I am of the belief that our standing in the world arena is not important. 9/11 changed my desire for the U.S. to be well liked for what we do. We are at war and I don't want to comprimise our security just so a bunch of people that think they are above it all will like us. Remember, countries will trade with us and foreigners will visit and spend their money here regardless.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokenmirrors
The U.S. is currently in the throes of a cultural civil war. It has yet to break out in armed violence, but it is obvious the country is divided. Conservative/Liberal, Pro-Bush/Anti-Bush, Pro-Abortion/Pro-Life, Pro Gay Marriage/Anti Gay Marriage, Pro Gun Control/Anti Gun Control, Athiests/Agnostics/Christians/Muslims,Jews....a melting pot divided.

This is nothing new. You weren't around during the 60's were you? Now that was a chaotic time.

Look at the last Presidential Election, the near 50/50 split in the vote, the still contested Florida Situation. When will the lid on this pressure cooker explode?

The 50/50 thing's not an accurate measure. Only about 35 percent of those able to vote do so.

Don't worry. It's not as bad as you think.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   

TextThis is nothing new. You weren't around during the 60's were you? Now that was a chaotic time.

May be that is what this country needs a repetition of the 60s movements to put the administration back in place and remind politicians that the people in this country is still in power.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I agree with ECK. L
ok back at history. Americans have always been at odds with eachother.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I smell John Titor

Anyhow, it may be unavoidable to have such a clash. People are really angry right now. If it does happen the rich will aviod the war because they have the money to, and will leave it to the poor to fight it out!

I guess we will just have to wait and see!

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I agree that we are in a cultural war. I once heard that the various divisions within the elite (political and cultural) are a carry over from the 60s. Vietnam divided the nation. The current leaders are of the generation that split over Vietnam. Their mindsets, beliefs and approaches to conflict resolution were solidified in that chaotic time. Look at the PNAC types (Wolfowitz, et al). Most of them were on the left side of the political fence 'til the late 60s.

I doubt any of the animosity or divisions will disappear until the next generation (Generation X) takes over. I wonder what it will be like, especially with so few people voting and not getting involved in our democratic system.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
I smell John Titor

I smell him too,
For the last few years, theories about another American Civil War have been flying around all the time.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The anti-war protests BEFORE the invasion even started was the biggest protest movement the US has seen since the Vietnam era.

People are so spoiled and complacent these days. It's maddening. I can only wonder if anything would get this nation of couch potatoes and nose-pickers off their butts and into the streets.

If 2 million people swarmed up to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. to demand the end to the occupation of Iraq, for example, it would be interesting to see what this administration would do. I think back to Nixon b/c someone compared Bush to him yesterday. At least Nixon had the balls to actually go outside, HIMSELF, and speak directly TO the protesters. What a concept!

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Theories about another American Civil War have been flying around all the time.

That's actually an incorrect premise. The way things are going right now, we would be faced with a second American Revolution.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
At least Nixon had the balls to actually go outside, HIMSELF, and speak directly TO the protesters. What a concept!

Instead Bush gives protesters the finger.

"Adam, Brendan, and I rose our banner (the More Trees, Less Bush one) and he turned to wave to our side of the road. His smile faded, and he raised his left arm in our direction. And then, George W. Bush, the 43rd president of the United States of America, extended his middle finger."

www.spicejar.org...

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
The way things are going right now, we would be faced with a second American Revolution.

Well you are correct ECK, i've been saying a lot that if Bush is re-elected, Americans will revolt at the outcome. But the chances of a 2nd Civil war will only come about if Bush gets a second term, if he doesn't, a revolt will not happen.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The come may come into the state of civil war. It would be Democrats V.S. Republicans. The country would be devided. I think the republicans would win though

top topics

join