It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Estimate for Alien Earths: 2 Billion in Our Galaxy Alone

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
the estimate is 56 new worlds that are earth like

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surpirsed if aliens showed up in our lifetimes. The music biz is already fantacising about how alien rape would feel like:
www.youtube.com...

edit on 22-3-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: nrg

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Maybe they have some mountain property I can have without dealing with an annoying salesman. Hell, maybe they don't even have a currency!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Just kinda makes you think. What if there is life out there.(which there probably is) what do they look like,what kind of animals do they have, there must be some amazing Planets out there! How many are as advanced as we are? how many are even more advanced? How many are not too advanced? What do they breath and eat its all very interesting. I say lets start sending probes to some of these closer planets that might have life or maybe thats what they are doing in space. i'm starting to think the spacestation also acts as a meeting place for E.T's but I ight also be crazy...lol

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This is kinda old news but very interesting

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
100% the coolest most intriging planet i think would either be a complete water world, or one exactly like earth with almost dinosaur like creatures or even early stages of advanced life

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
now...imagine a day where we master interstellar travel...lets compound that fantasy with the concept that every one of the 2 billion planets house advanced civilizations..some so close to earthlike cultures we suspect transplants, others so alien that our mind boggles to just understand them...

Imagine then trade with these 2 billion planets, from luxery items, foods, entertainment, etc...2 billion different cultures to gain from...the mind boggles at that sort of living and choice...euphoric amounts of pleasurable choices..
You could have something different to eat 3 times a day for a very prolonged life, never to have the same thing twice...and you wouldn't even be scratching the surface of what is available...you could never watch in a lifetime the very best movie of the decade (or millenium) a single planet out out if you wanted to watch em from all planets...just to start measuring up some concepts..(I wonder what our best movie of all time from earth would be...casablanca? gone with the wind? Bill and Ted's excellent Adventure?
)

let me dream about 2 billion different cultures for a bit...seems with those odds, every single person could find somewhere they would find to be blissful

Now, thats just one galaxy...what of the day when we conquer intergalactic travel...suddenly 2 billion different options seems like hardly any (wow, we get 3 whole channels on the TV machine? sweet).

I would find the mastery of intergalactic travel to be akin to heaven...infinate options, choose what best pleases you and tailor make your existance..and perhaps that is what heaven is...we die and are released from this shell, our energy body is then free to travel anywhere with full interaction...we purposefully came into this body because we are like a trillion years old and wanted fresh eyes on what we took for granted after soo long..the only thing better than the first kiss is to re-experience the first kiss kinda thing.

Just some spiritual mumbo-jumbo to toss in there...meh, dream over...get back to work!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Time to come back down to reality for some of you.. you are speaking as if one day we will be able to actually travel the galaxy lol.... Yes, our great great great great granchildren will be able to do that, but the closest thing we will probably see in our liftetime is a manned mission to Mars. We live in the crappy part of technology where we are answering questions about the universe, but we are not able to actually witness them.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicMan07
Time to come back down to reality for some of you.. you are speaking as if one day we will be able to actually travel the galaxy lol.... Yes, our great great great great granchildren will be able to do that, but the closest thing we will probably see in our liftetime is a manned mission to Mars. We live in the crappy part of technology where we are answering questions about the universe, but we are not able to actually witness them.

Cryonics my friend...freeze yourself and take a thaw once things are sorted out techwise....

Alternative, there is a small hope for medical science to continue extending age until we sort out ageing all together...however, that seems less likely to happen anytime soon...
We are extending our life by 10 years for every 40ish years...not a good ratio for someone wanting to beat mortality...but still, one can hope..so I say cryonics is the best bet for the true dreamer whom has some extra money...takes the 6 number lottery and puts it down to 1 number

Still, if only to dream, knowledge is good to have. Its a good trait for humans to dream and work towards them, ignoring the fact that the benefits may not be seen in their lifetime...else we would have never worked towards any discovery leading to innovation. No reason to sail halfway across the world to found a nation that you won't see turn into a powerhouse new world, no need to consider the slow and long process of martian terraformation so our future generations have 2 worlds to explore verses 1, etc.

Dreaming and delusions is important to long term survival of our civilization and species.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LogicMan07

i know in our lifetime we will never leave our solar system, its just cool to think about what else is out there in the vast reaches of not only our own galaxy but space itself, the things we havent seen yet and the things that we will never be able to see.

right now we can see as far back as 14 billion years, whats beyond that???? pretty cool to think about.

billions of galaxies with billions of planets in each how many hold intelligent life we will never know but its cool to think about, makes you feel how lucky you are to be alive in this time

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

I love the image of the earths in a spiral. 2 billion is a lot of alien earths but do you realize how long it would take to get there? The light beams coming from the A.E.s are probably thousands of years old, and they could all be destroyed.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Cryonics my friend...freeze yourself and take a thaw once things are sorted out techwise....

Too bad we don't have that technology in near future. You can sure freeze people, but you cannot wake up again. Freezing you up kills cells and you die. We have to figure out how to freeze people without killing them, but its hard, since human is not meant to be frozen.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Thats just awesome , it really is .
But .... i agree with some posters here , and ill take it further in saying , can we take a pause and think about what we are doing here , do we really want TPTB leading us to another earth (which might have an indigenous people..Avatar) , Do we really think our current Political figures will ever stop Mining , Will we purge the New Earth of all its Resources as well ? Will the Bankers control everything ?
Unless an advanced race chooses to slip you and everything you need and love to these earths , these planets would just be an extension of This Earth , as it stands currently , something i wouldnt wish on any planet

edit on 22-3-2011 by StaceyWilson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
An interesting thing to keep in mind is not that it's just earth-like planets, but what of these planets could hold or do hold life as advanced as us (or far greater). There, I think, is the interesting bit of this whole shindig. I'm certain that there is some equation out there that can help calculate, given the numbers you put into it, what number of planets that there could be out there supporting life at our level of civilization or greater. (I know the equation is there-I recall it from astronomy class...jsut forgot the name of it. Doh.)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

this is not suprising, i have been finding sources that mention alien races and there galaxies and using microsoft worldwide telescope but its imposable to find a image of a actual planet haha i just look forward to them being common knowlegde and hope we can visit there planets and travel through space, but i doubt that will happen within the next 40 years, if this planet makes it that far and we arnt all dead.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Sobering...and there is a sun flusher off earth's port bow right now. Japan is roasted. What does it mean as we wax poetic about our alien roots?

Hypothesis: Black holes are recyclers. God tunes in and there is a solar system, (aka us) a planet that condones pedophilia with and starvation of infants and toddlers, rape of mothers in huts with the children present...well, let me know if I should go on or not!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

Please do not assume that means civilization. From a basic estimate:

it took 4.5 billion years to get to us. We are one of some 6-10 humanoid species, the only one that survived.

2 billion goes down very fast. Even if we are around average age for a world, and we can guess between 14 billion to 2 billion for life forms, we then end up with roughly 1.25 billion world with life at our phase. We than also get around a 10th of those with humanoid recognizable intelligent life. (this based off the diversity of intelligence here on Earth. Of those 120 million or so, we then cut out about another 7/8, because of so many failed humanoids on Earth. Of those some 15 million, only about 20% will survive through plague, war, and disaster, this being based off the fact that only really China and Southern Europe were anywhere called civilized for most of history. Other factors bring us down to a mere couple million with distinctive humanoid civilizations. And we can just assume most of them are not going to be good folks. There are other factors one could argue that bring it down more.

In the end, we're looking at a total of some couple thousand planets with people and civilizations ranging from Clueless Neanderthals to nice folks like you and me.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

think about that though a couple thousand if everything you said is true and played out like that, then thats our galaxy alone, think of all the galaxies that there are thought to be

no matter what even 1 other intelligent life form besides us out there would be awesome to say the least even if we never meet them

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

There is very likely 1 billion civilizations in the galaxy right now. The question is, are they familiar? For if they are not, we may not fully understand how not to get into a war or offend them.

That said, probably only 3 or so are actually galactic civilizations. You're not going to find star wars or star trek civilizations. You're going to find them maybe in 3-5 solar systems. Sure they'd have explored thousands of solar systems, probably by probes, but they are only going to be physically present on a few dozen planets in a few solar systems.

Look at our own society? The more we value life and the more we grow technological, the more we want to sit back, relax, and talk. I tell you this. It's very likely the first civilization we meet is going to be a holographic recording of a civilization that died off eons ago, but lived on in a computerized world sort of. We will be talking to the digital souls of those whom died off eons ago.

The aliens of our science fiction, and in particular, our own ufology nonsense, are not only physically impossible in many cases, but they are simply not plausible from a purely common sense logical analysis of our own society and other animals out there.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

no i completely agree with you, the aliens from say transformers, alien w/ there acid blood, and almost all alien invasions movies i don't believe could exist, there might be some weird things out there though

but yes i couldnt agree more when you say that there is a handful of "advanced" civilizations in the cosmos

meeting them might very well be unlikely or even a fluke at the time, say we get to the point were we can send probs to other worlds beyond our own solar system and we stumble upon a planet that is harboring life, i feel that the likely hood that it is advanced or even intelligent is well below 1%

im not saying there isn't intelligent life out there because i do believe there is, i just think the galaxy and the universe is so big that we as a civilization may never meet any intelligent life, and we may only find pre-human life....i don't know what other way to say it, lets go with like dinosaur or even life that was around after dinosaurs things like that

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join