It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Estimate for Alien Earths: 2 Billion in Our Galaxy Alone

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Please Star and Flag so we can get more discussion on this thread it deserves more attention than many other threads on ATS here this stuff is extremely important to the human race share the knowledge of our UNIVERSE.

Deny IGNORANCE

Hello ATS this is my first thread on ATS but not the last
. This is very interesting. The estimate is much more abundant than the previous estimates from Keplers Data.

From this article i will quote
www.space.com...

"

Roughly one out of every 37 to one out of every 70 sunlike stars in the sky might harbor an alien Earth, a new study reveals. These findings hint that billions of Earthlike planets might exist in our galaxy, researchers added. These new calculations are based in data from the Kepler space telescope, which in February wowed the globe by revealing more than 1,200 possible alien worlds, including 68 potentially Earth-size planets. The spacecraft does so by looking for the dimming that occurs when a world transits or moves in front of a star.

When it comes to the 100 nearest sunlike stars within a few dozen light years, these findings suggest that only about two might have Earthlike worlds. Still, Catanzarite did note that red dwarfs might host Earthlike planets as well, and that such stars are far more common than sunlike stars. Although researchers will find it much harder to detect an Earth-size planet transiting in front of dim red dwarfs, scientists are currently trying to detect such planets around these stars by the gravitational tugs they would exert on each other.

"

Now lets discuss the new estimate brought forward. This number may actually be alot higher considering most of the planets Kepler is observing are only the sun type stars... so imagine if the red dwarfs can host these earth type planets as well or habitable moons of gas giants then wow this is really starting to look good for life being abundant in the Universe.

TRANSCENDENCE. WE WILL WALK THE PATH TO ASCENDENCE

I Recommend you read the Article as well

edit on 21-3-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Let's just hope they have this sectioned quarantined off until we grow up.
The vastness and variety of the universe makes a lot the the things we think are important, feel very useless. Yet the real treasures are not measured in physical wealth at all.
edit on 21-3-2011 by starshift because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Hopefully we can reach one of these planets, and we'll be the aliens and UFO's

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
we are soooo getting groomed!!

soon its gonna be...oh look heres one now!...well there had to be, we do have 2 billian alien earths local to us.

you cant transport matter from one galaxy to a next.....they are different dimensions of time and space.

but in our own galaxy, hmmm.....this is pre text for later
edit on 21-3-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by starshift

We aren't going to other solar systems anytime soon until there is some kind of revolutionary breakthrough in technology it will take dozens if not hundreds of years to get to the closest star with our current tech.

But who knows maybe NASA and TPTB have some secret tech we don't know about. Or they got alien tech somehow who knows.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Just to think this is only the data release from Keplers first 2 months of observation i believe once they've went through and studied all the rest of the Data things are going to get promising once they finish studying the rest of the Data.

I think 90% of the stars they are observing are sun like stars so this is only a broad estimate really of percentage of Earth type analogues around sun like stars i think they are not observing enough Red Dwarfs or Super-Giants to come up with a good estimate for possibility of Certain types of planets around those stars because only 0.6% of the stars they observe will have their planets aligned to observe the transits. They are purposely not observing as much Red Dwarfs as they are sun-like stars because they want to find analogues exactly like our system but 80% of the stars in the galaxy are Red-Dwarf Types so we should look closely into them too

I strongly believe Red Dwarfs will have earth type analogues and "Pandora" types around Gas Giants. Also imagine the possibility of Desert Planets and Ice Planets that could be habitable
its going to be amazing can't wait for the JWST.

Red Dwarfs would have their planets closer in to be habitable but they can still host habitable planets i would surmise

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
stuff like this has always intrigued me, 2 billion possible alien earths in our galaxy makes you seem pretty small in comparison to the big picture out there

imagine what the numbers could be like in galaxies that are bigger then the Milkey Way, one galaxy in particular if any of you are fimiliar with the Hubble Ultra Deep Field this galaxy is so big that it technically shouldnt even exist imagine what we will one day find

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

The Universe can sustain life we are proof of it. That evidence alone make me believe that the laws of the universe exists to sustain life in areas like Earth maybe more different kinds of life will be found on gas giants etc or plasma forms of life the Universe is very interesting! EVERYTHING CHANGES THERE IS LIFE OUT THERE WE CAN'T DENY IT

"A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man." -Albert Einstein

Albert Einstein was not a believer in Earth related Religions but as he says in a sense here he was such a Genius he realized the Profoundness of the Universe and the laws that lie within physics to make everything we see know and think possible. Do not mistake him for saying he is Christian muslim or any other religion he is just talking in a sense of feeling deeply connected with Nature the Universe and the whole in that sense he is a deeply religion man. AMAZING!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
With numbers like these, I don't see how anyone can deny the existence of other intelligent lifeforms.
Nice find!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by gatewaywithin
With numbers like these, I don't see how anyone can deny the existence of other intelligent lifeforms.
Nice find!

YES MY FRIENDS we need everyone to come to this thread it has the most important TOPIC of them all. All these new estimates from KEPLER are the most exciting thing since the moon LANDING

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

dude couldnt agree more with you, in my mind there is no way we are alone in the universe

en.wikipedia.org...:Hubble_ultra_deep_field_high_rez_edit1.jpg

take a look at the picture, the yellow galaxy in the lower right, according to astrophysics it technically shouldnt exist it is that big, imagine the amount of possible habitable planets in there, or hell even the andromeda galaxy which is just suppose to be a bigger version of the milky way

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

We will one day Look back on what we thought of the universe as so barren. Dwelling on how much knowledge we didn't know Science is a great thing isn't it. I've always strongly believed of life being all of the Universe and heres the word from NASA 2 billion Atleast in our galaxy alone. Its so awesome to be living in these times.. just recently Kepler has helped us take huge strides in figuring out how abundant our universe really is with potentially habitable planets

WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF TOMMOROW.

Cut the Defense budget in half of the US and lets get some REAL science projects going on. LESS bombs more innovation for the future of HUMANITY.

STOP THIS ENDLESS SLAUGHTER. IMO

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Someday in the near future, me and you my friends, will be visiting life-sustaining planets throughout this span of space-time and begin planting our own seeds; an entire new history to unfold and make its decisions about everything. Then we will be the aliens, the gods, and the unimaginable to them. For some reason I feel this, as is we are near to becoming enlightened in a way we never could of possibly imagined. This is our journey, our age, and the beginning of anew!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

yes my friend i believe sentient beings may be able to achieve Transcendence. We will walk the path of Ascension with the human race and explore the Vast reaches of space. Its looking ever more so comforting with the recent estimate of 2 billion possible Earths at-least.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I don't see how people can say that it is unlikely that another alien civilization couldn't figure out faster than light travel. For all we know, they could have had a few million years to solve the problem.

It is kind of like talk to someone from before the round Earth theory era and them telling you, you can't sail around the world

With these new numbers, it only adds to the possibilities...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

LOL if there is a planet of the apes.... I wanna be the charleton heston baby! not really but I just wondeer what kind of dna would they have, would it be a phosphorous based dna or something totally different? I do know that we are adapted to the germs and enviromental hazards of this planet but what if we aren't adaptable to the alien germs and end up dying from a weird germ that we haven't even encountered yet? I ain even a germ o phobe but it is a realm issue I have when it comes to otherworldly exploration. heck even the plant life if there is some might be deadly toxic to our dna. I guess we may have a billion chances to find a match for us
edit on 22-3-2011 by agentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

I will guess that based on the Atmosphere, Environment, Gravity, Distance to sun, What kind of elements on the surface, and surface type the planet is (Ocean, Gas Giant with different surfaces, rocky), Also the type of sun will depend on what kind of life forms will emerge. Maybe with methane atmosphere different based life with totally different compounds to form life will emerge who knows? We must be open minded.

You are very wise
my friend.

edit on 22-3-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-3-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yes Indeed many advanced civilization probably do exist 2 billion planets like earth potentially habitable and from what i read thats only the numbers from the G-type stars like our sun. So factor in the red dwarfs which are roughly 80% of stars in the galaxy were talking 10 billion earth like planets if the chances are the same around Red Dwarfs....

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Love it! Great topic & thread.

I can't wait for the day we can travel to distant planets and star systems. One way mission to an uncharted planet? COUNT ME IN! Though I do agree, as someone previously said, that we as a species need to "grow up" and realize wealth is not determined physically. I hope we ( as a planetary collective) don't adopt the U.S. government way of thinking we need to be the "watchdog" of the Universe. There's always somebody "bigger & badder" out there. Here's a recent article that NASA published on their website as well as "The Daily Galaxy" about rain on Saturn's moon Titan.

Cassini Sees Seasonal Rain on Titan

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

''Please Star and Flag so we can get more discussion on this thread it deserves more attention than many other threads on ATS here this stuff is extremely important to the human race share the knowledge of our UNIVERSE.''

Sorry to steal your thunder but this sort of questioning has been with mankind since the dawn of time. The drip-feed info from NASA is mainly released to justify why/what its supposed to be doing and anything really worth shouting about is kept to themselves.

Of course there is life out there but Earth is a very special planet and we humans are not the only species to desire it, however, considering at present the enormous changes on and around this planet, this is something we all need to be aware and a part of.

''it deserves more attention than many other threads on ATS here''

No it doesn't. Let's concentrate on our beautiful planet and its inhabitants first.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join