It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the reactor water going????

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Katie
presscore.ca...

In order to cool the reactor core some way must be found to lower the temperature of the core. It is a major mistake for Japan to flood the reactor core with sea water as the sea water composition is easily broken down when exposed to radiation. Salt water has a stable composition of sodium chloride (the salt) and hydrogen and oxygen (the water). But the radiation waves from the reactor core can disrupt that stability, degrading the bonds that hold the chemicals in salt water together. This releases the volatile hydrogen molecules, and the heat output from the nuclear reactor core rods can ignite them and burn them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does this help to understand?

Great post thanks for the clarification.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Without adequate containment every environmental compartment is contaminated. A monitoring program to test surface water, groundwater, air and soil for radionuclides should be created and use remote sensing and telemetry. I wonder if they will use UAVs for air quality sampling then monitor wells and gageing stations for the water with maybe space-age geophysical robots for soil borings. The contamination plume will move through air with the most speed followed by surface water runoff.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Maybe its going into the sea

www.cnn.com...

Radiation in seawater off nuclear plant spikes to 1,250 times normal

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I cant imagine that radioactive water is good for marine life,.
I used to think the Japanese folk were eco friendly

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Confirmed, into the sea
www.cnn.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join