Where is the reactor water going????

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

ugh, in deserts or baron wastelands,
nowhere near densely populated cities and towns!
calm down!? say that to a resident near the Fukushima plants!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

95% into steam? You are referring to the water that actually lands on the reactor itself I would assume.
What about the rest of the water that is sprayed into the building? I would say just blindly spraying/dumping water into a half demoed building may get you about 25% target coverage at the extreme best. Now take the rest of that water that is essentially washing fallout off of the surrounding structure, and you have an awful lot of contaminated water running back into the ecosystem.

Not only that, that irradiated steam is carrying the fallout with it as well and precipitating it nearby as it evaporates.

No good in either way really.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
lots and lots of bad science in this thread. i can understand the concern, but....

there is no such thing as "radioactive water". and 'acid rain' is a different beast, altogether.

it must be read as "radioactive particles carried by the water". this is a significant difference. the water ITSELF is not radioactive, and the particles that are being carried by it will fall out of solution quite easily. thus, the vast majority of the contamination will stay near the reactor site.

Help us understand the scope of the problem. What would you expect to be the half life of the radio active dust and debris being released into the atmosphere around the damaged reactors?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Sea Water is mainly Hydrogen, Oxygen, Sodium and Chloride. H2O - NaCl.

NONE of those elements are radioactive folks.

gamma radiation: takes the form of a high energy photon with an energy corresponding to the ¥-ray portion of the electromagnetic spectrum

or A very high energy form of electromagnetic radiation * , typically with wavelengths * of less than 3 pm. Gamma rays are produced by certain nuclear decay processes, and are used to sterilize food.

Are YOU radioactive after your dentist X-rays your teeth????

(I am a chemist and my spouse is a physicist)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by littlecloud
If there putting tons of water onto the plant, and 95% of it is becoming flash boiled, wouldnt it just be contaminating the air then?
And if not, wouldnt that cause some insane acid rain?

Im pretty sure i saw on the news in australia that a THEORETICAL scientest said that this may work to cool down the plant, but concidering the words theoretical and may were used, im not even sure they know if this will work or not..

Just entomb the stupid thing already!

It wouldn't cause "acid rain." Iodine, unless combined with hydrogen in an aqueous solution,is not really very acidic. Acid rain is caused when sulfur, from whatever source, such as in the oxides of sulfur crated by burning fossil fuels, volcanic eruptions, etc., combine with the hydrogen produced by burning fuels and the oxygen in the air combine to form H2SO4 or sulfuric acid. Coal can contain 5% sulphur, which is why coal fired generating plants cause a lot of acid rain.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Good question. Since energy never truly ceases by transforming, then despite 95% of the water becoming steam, both the remaining water and steam should bother be radioactive.

Just as well, even though the radioactivity would naturally disperse via wind, it would still exist. 1 part per million is the same part per billion.

I'm not saying that Chernobyl wasn't a bad deal. . .but even if that's the worst it can get. . .have to remember that we're still alive. . .as far as I know anyway.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Fukushima have 3 exposed cores.Almost all the water poured in is becoming steam.Those reactors, now, work like they are suposing to work if they were online and producing energy via steam>electric turbines.

The problem is, that now, all the steam generated is going up freely, because the steam room doesn't exist anymore.
Add this to the info that the exclusion zone around Fukushima have been expanded to 90 km, and one will realize where the water goes.
Into radiated steam, not much up in the air to get into high atmosphere and travel over ocean, but high enough to put in danger an area of a 90km radius around the plant.

Thx to Lybia bombing and reasuring that the plant condition is ''stable'', MSM got the attention away for a while.
But they cannot stop the looming disaster.

We need to understand this : the situation will be stable at Fukushima plant ONLY when the plant will be either buried under concrete or good as new and working like before the quake.
Its a NUCLEAR plant for god sake.Anything less then a working NUCLEAR plant is a potential disaster.

Bury the damn plant now, because the other choice will be rebuilding it.And rebuilding takes YEARS.
What they gonna do? Pour water for years into some reactors while 100 meters away some other ppl build a new reactor ? The area is so iradiated that rebuilding is not possible.
All they can really do is bury the reactors.All of them.
edit on 22-3-2011 by Recollector because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
The water that is pumped in there is essentially flash boiled. Id guess 95% of it becomes steam.

We can only hope your right, that the water is drenching the core, however... Though the core (or storage pool/s which MAY be a bigger concern, less shielding and the pool structure having seen better days look trashed, is being cooled by the water hoses and we really hope the cooling pumps themselves are working, yet, any evaporative cooling creates radioactive mist, and considerable run-off. I do NOT believe most of it {water+hitting full bore the reactor boiling off/cooling} for among other reasons direct easy access to engulf (line of sight) the core would seem (and the wreckage would seem to indicate) THATS problematic at best. But hey people I'm just going on what I see on TV, hardly adequate to do a reasonable engineering-threat assessment. ANY water or in time "entombment material" like sand, concrete, etc; as they used in Chernobyl that comes in concoct with the nuclear fuel, or any contaminated super structure/walls, machines, everything; will obviously also become radioactive. Lets start getting the details at to calm people down, which now is badly needed.

It's important to get a picture as real time ASAP on things/events/options, and US PEOPLE, all providing feedback world wide. I'll try to post a "roadmap" as to reactor types, plus/minus, location etc later. Japan has the problem of multiple reactors, some are still generating power but like everyone honestly don't have a fricken clue here. So lets all work on this. Way beyond just this disaster. But for the problem at hand: I heard late last night they are trying to execute a "cold shutdown," or total power off, core cool-down, and allow the reactor/s to become an obscene paper weight. This can take weeks, perhaps more. I just don't bloody know, NO ONE seems to. VAST data, maximum,redundant which by it's nature is to name a few points;
Item One >>contingent on the reactor type/size/expertise/resources AND continuity&robustness of the logistics chain. Wait. At 11:45:32hrs, US/CDST> Just heard they have power cables strung to the crippled plants, but STILL NO power, yet. (???) I don't want to be too cynical, given what they have been through I'm not entitled. But this lack of the appearance of control (No CONSISTENT Information), very, seriously bad news, in fact it's any governments historical worse fear. The kind of problem that scares the hell out of contingency planners. People won't believe an official statement if they think, with so many unknowns, double talk and "hearing people sweat," "they don't know what they're talking about" A nations government that looses credibility, is as bad as it gets. First rule of not failing about as a person, nation, any entity: "Always provide CLEAR, and very critical continuity in any official or 'associated" information to the public. The whole thing could be better in effect then anyone will now EVER believe! See the major problem?

Nothing is more effective in solving major problems then convincing the general population WHO EVER speaks on an issue like the Japan Nuclear disaster, people feel that "OK, no ones Karnak, give people the belief and tools to along w/listening to "officials", ( in radiation, etc; The Government has not only the best technology but we hope accurate data to any emergency we also are confident we are doing something to HELP OUR SELVES! "we know if not what to do under this or that event, we can pool and make available very important maybe life saving "better living through accurate data". I'm not saying that makes great sense alone, or saves the world, but it is the Apex Issue is, FEELING IN CONTROL of YOUR LIFE. Due to high radiation the Japanese can't get a physical look at the core?... OK. Just because thats not ITSELF anyones fault, is not as important. Much CAN BE DONE to get a sense of CONTROL over OUR OWN lives. I will start a new post that looks at what we all can do to get as much data on critical, world wide event's. And then do what is at least logical to help you me and us, in a calm, rational way. Last point multiple source (avoid Toxic Ideology Overdose".) We can and do so much together.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbiture

Originally posted by arbiture
Was I censored by ATS, Doubtfull. I was polite and I doub't ATS MODS had issue.

But why the off-grey page?

I am saying do not freak out. Its not appropriate, even worse case, so please help me get this out people...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Recollector
Fukushima have 3 exposed cores.Almost all the water poured in is becoming steam.Those reactors, now, work like they are suposing to work if they were online and producing energy via steam>electric turbines.

The problem is, that now, all the steam generated is going up freely, because the steam room doesn't exist anymore.
Add this to the info that the exclusion zone around Fukushima have been expanded to 90 km, and one will realize where the water goes.
Into radiated steam, not much up in the air to get into high atmosphere and travel over ocean, but high enough to put in danger an area of a 90km radius around the plant.

Thx to Lybia bombing and reasuring that the plant condition is ''stable'', MSM got the attention away for a while.
But they cannot stop the looming disaster.

>This information is new to me as of NOW. Request source of data, the issue-as operations to evaluate all available data. Likely stability is OF COURSE a rational option, God knows the workers are doing their best. If I may ask are you being possibly some what "passive aggressive" in #1: It's bad but better and under control? I apologize if I'm just acting as my usual idiot-self here. But I no fear of questions and never discuss anything I am told/read is sensitive. I'm not Wiki guys. Arbiture

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Here is my thoughts on the subject..... Rain comes from evaporation from lakes, rivers, streams and OCEANS.... that evaporated water moves over land and becomes rain... So, if the ocean has radiation then wouldn't the rain also have radiation in it as well thus contaminating everything? Not fear mongering... just basic science...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Id guess by the way things have been occurring over there and no one is watching ,.
the water is either boiling, running out onto the ground. or simply evaporating.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wirefly
reply to post by captaintyinknots

95% into steam? You are referring to the water that actually lands on the reactor itself I would assume.
What about the rest of the water that is sprayed into the building? I would say just blindly spraying/dumping water into a half demoed building may get you about 25% target coverage at the extreme best. Now take the rest of that water that is essentially washing fallout off of the surrounding structure, and you have an awful lot of contaminated water running back into the ecosystem.

Not only that, that irradiated steam is carrying the fallout with it as well and precipitating it nearby as it evaporates.

No good in either way really.

What you have to say here is what I was thinking when I posted this thread.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
Sea Water is mainly Hydrogen, Oxygen, Sodium and Chloride. H2O - NaCl.

NONE of those elements are radioactive folks.

gamma radiation: takes the form of a high energy photon with an energy corresponding to the ¥-ray portion of the electromagnetic spectrum

or A very high energy form of electromagnetic radiation * , typically with wavelengths * of less than 3 pm. Gamma rays are produced by certain nuclear decay processes, and are used to sterilize food.

Are YOU radioactive after your dentist X-rays your teeth????

(I am a chemist and my spouse is a physicist)

And I am a former chemical operator of 20 plus years experience .So are you saying that no radioactivity can be entrained in the water that is being flashed into steam. Supposing that such material is entrained in the flash boiled steam,would it not then create fallout once in the atmosphere as it would be heavier than air?
Actually my original question was about the water that doesn't flash off.It looks to me from all the video that they aren't doing a very good job putting the water on target.So if what is already in the building is contaminated then it follows that the water they are adding is also becoming contaminated and becoming a larger problem.I'm quite sure that there is a limit to what ever cistern system they have,and that may be damaged from the explosions. Therefore I ask where is that water going?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Maybe since the tsunami probably washed tons of radioactive waste back into the ocean already, Nobody cares about a little runoff anymore, .

I googled "world's largest nuclear plant" and found some interesting thins on a TEPCO plant in Japan

Quote - "From unit 6, 1.3 cubic meters of water from the spent fuel pool leaked from the pool, and flowed into through a drainage pipe, ultimately into the Sea of Japan."

Note also at just this one plant "About 400 drums containing low-level nuclear waste stored at the plant were knocked over by the aftershocks, 40 losing their lids.[30] Company officials reported on July 17 that traces of the radioactive materials cobalt-60, iodine, and chromium-51 had been released into the atmosphere, presumably from the containers losing their lids."

a very interesting read on TEPCO's history at just one plant before the 3-11-11 quake

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
presscore.ca...

In order to cool the reactor core some way must be found to lower the temperature of the core. It is a major mistake for Japan to flood the reactor core with sea water as the sea water composition is easily broken down when exposed to radiation. Salt water has a stable composition of sodium chloride (the salt) and hydrogen and oxygen (the water). But the radiation waves from the reactor core can disrupt that stability, degrading the bonds that hold the chemicals in salt water together. This releases the volatile hydrogen molecules, and the heat output from the nuclear reactor core rods can ignite them and burn them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does this help to understand?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join