It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COVERUP AT EPA: Live Public DATA- Negligence or Incompetence?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

OK I got a fix for Chrome:

Click your upper-right corner wrench icon;
Click OPTIONS on the drop-down list;
Click UNDER THE HOOD on the left side;
Scroll down to SECURITY;
Check Use TLS 1.0
Do not uncheck USE SSL 3.0
Close toolbox window.

Open this address to test: RADNET PUBLIC and be sure to scroll down- the map is at the bottom of the page.

If that works, go to Japanese Nuclear Emergency and surf away.

This INCREASES your security and then Rad Net Public will display properly. I don't have a fix for windows & others yet; if you get one, please post it. Technical: Transport Layer Security

I'll edit this in a bit to discuss WHY the EPA did this...

Found this on Google search for EPA SSL 3.0 TLS:

[PDF] T i R l I t T i R l I t Toxics Release Inventory Reporting ... File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View Mar 11, 2011 ... www.epa.gov...EPA's CDX recently changed from SSL encryption to TLS encryption. 3/11/2011 ... www.epa.gov/tri/training/2011/RY10_Advanced_Concepts.pdf

That gave me the clue as to what was blocking us.

The EPA changed site security protocols, effectively blocking access to RADNET data for millions of Americans without the computer-savvy to reconfigure- a process that took me an entire afternoon to complete with no help from the EPA.

If my life depended on having that data in a timely way to avoid dangerous radiation, I and my family would be dead.

Did they make that protocol change to non-standard browser settings out of coincidence, stupidity, or with the idea of limiting timely access to information for millions of Americans?

You be the judge.

As for me, I will ALWAYS make sure I have multiple sources for critical data, not just US gov't...
edit on 22-3-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by BecauseiSaidso
Everything is NOT radioactive.

Ok my bad, im getting into metaphysics theories here.

I always theorized (my own personal theory-based entirely on the principal "nothing lasts forever") that something like carbon 12 or 13 (considered stable) actually was radioactive it's just we probably cannot detect it due to it's minuscule amount.
Carbon 14 has a half-life of like 5000+ years, so we consider it radioactive.

But if something's half-life were a gazillion years, would we even know? Call me skeptical...

That's for another thread. I could be wrong about that.
I typically argue with almost all modern physics theories like big-bang, black-holes, dark matter, etc.
I have no proof but it's all philosophy admittedly...

I'm going way off track here so I apologize, I'll shut up now and go away. Consider this a clarification on my highly uncommon terminology and asinine theories...

edit on 22-3-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

reply to post by muzzleflash

Pause. Ionizing radiation such as Alpha, Beta, Gamma, x-ray, and neutron, are what come with radioactive decay. Xrays and gamma rays are high energy EM radiation, just a powerful photon. Light bulbs emit low energy EM radiation, NOTHING like what comes from radio active decay.

All of them can be dangerous at really high levels of course.

Keep in mind I am not a expert or a nuclear physicist I am a layman who just reads stuff and is trying to learn at the same time as everyone else.

If I am wrong about something *highly possible-no ones perfect* though please explain in depth (links help also to save you time and breath), because I don't know everything but I love learning more. I appreciate anyone aiding in the quest of knowledge, and if I realize I am wrong I will quickly retract my incorrect statement or wording and rephrase or correct myself.

But yes the word "radiation" can be applied to everything. Now I'm going to go radiate some love towards my old lady.

Ok first off I never questioned you or put you down, no need to be defensive. I was only trying to provide accurate info. im not the quickest typist so the links will take a min but i can explain laymen the best i can. I apologize for not going further in depth. i assumed you knew some stuff as per your links.

EM RADIATION is not the same as RADIOACTIVITY is the most important part. However they can be both considered 'radiation'. Atoms have a nucleus and an electron cloud around the nucleus. The electrons are negatively charged and weigh almost nothing. In the nucleus are protons and neutrons of significant and almost equal mass. The protons have and positive charge equal in strength to the electrons that surround the nucleus. Neutrons weigh the same as protons but are neutral in charge. EM or ElectroMagnetic radiation comes from electrons in the cloud. When the electrons in the could get excited and then calm back down they release a photon. the wavelength emmited depends on the element and other factors but photon based radiation goes from radio waves to gamma waves. this change is a function of wavelength of the photon. longer wavelengths=less energy. radio waves are miles long. gamma waves can be nanometers long.

RADIOACTIVITY is the decay of an atomic nucleus. During decay particles are emitted from the NUCLEUS not the Electron Cloud. When particles are emitted like an alpha particle which is a helium atom with no electrons, other emissions can occur such as gamma and beta(beta is an high energy electron). Gamma and X-ray emissions can occur because of radioactivity and gamma can stimulate Beta (the photon hits so hard it punches the electron OUT of the atom entirely. Neutron radiation is exactly what it sounds like and if this is going on around you that means your done, cause the neutron emissions inside the reactor are what keep it 'critical'.

EDIT to add links:

WIKI EM RADIATION

WIKI RADIOACTIVITY

GAMMA

BETA

NEUTRON RADIATION
edit on 22-3-2011 by BecauseiSaidso because: added linkage

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I never trusted Gupta... thanks for the clarification

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It's working fine for me but I noticed how when the radiation cloud moved through detectors many monitors went offline and the came back on. To be honest, I don't believe any of these numbers are accurate since they can so easily be manipulated.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

i will not say who i am or how i know this. i will not confirm or deny anything, please save yourself the trouble, with that said...

you are correct, the system has suffered a catastrophic system failure, in SELECT areas, these areas, are still working but not communicating, with the main grid net work. the reason for the failure is as of this time unknown. i will not say government(s) involvement is the case, however i will not rule it out either. ATS readers Im sure you can decipher what i mean.

GHOST

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by soleprobe

I never trusted Gupta... thanks for the clarification

I don't trust what he SAYS but his eyes don't lie as well...I've seen some very concerned looks on his face throughout all this. Almost like hes doing it on purpose.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
I'll lend a personal perspective, as I am located in Oregon-next to the water.

I don't have a Geiger-counter. I have a bird feeder. It's still in service...

So it's been cloudy and rainy for who knows how long now?

The weird thing though is during dusk, if the sun pierces the clouds (and not 'just right')- the only way to describe it is; You know when a cloud passes over-head and the shadow passes too, the shadow seems to bring with it a weird, a subtle glow. Like I'm looking at a thicker atmosphere, somehow. The hue seems off.

I'll be reporting from the trenches-

Here's a picture through my front window today. From my camera's sd card to my laptop to you! .

Rain seems to clean-up the atmosphere most times. I'm wondering why the sun it self is not a more defined disc, being how there are no clouds currently. As in this photo; What I mean by a thick atmosphere as described above...Also, This is a double-paned window, so pay no mind to the reflections.There is probably nothing to see here anyway.

This probably belongs in a blog forum...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'll repeat this from time to time, so it doesn't get lost in the thread:

OK I got a fix for Chrome, Firefox and Windows:

For Chrome:

Click your upper-right corner wrench icon;
Click OPTIONS on the drop-down list;
Click UNDER THE HOOD on the left side;
Scroll down to SECURITY;
Check Use TLS 1.0
Do not uncheck USE SSL 3.0
Close toolbox window.

Fix for Windows and Firefox HERE.

Open this address to test: RADNET PUBLIC and be sure to scroll down- the map is at the bottom of the page.

If that works, go to Japanese Nuclear Emergency and surf away.

This INCREASES your security and then Rad Net Public will display properly. Technical: Transport Layer Security

I'll edit this in a bit to discuss WHY the EPA did this...

Found this on Google search for EPA SSL 3.0 TLS:

[PDF] T i R l I t T i R l I t Toxics Release Inventory Reporting ... File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View Mar 11, 2011 ... www.epa.gov...EPA's CDX recently changed from SSL encryption to TLS encryption. 3/11/2011 ... www.epa.gov/tri/training/2011/RY10_Advanced_Concepts.pdf

That gave me the clue as to what was blocking us.

The EPA changed site security protocols, effectively blocking access to RADNET data for millions of Americans without the computer-savvy to reconfigure- a process that took me an entire afternoon to complete with no help from the EPA.

If my life depended on having that data in a timely way to avoid dangerous radiation, I and my family would be dead.

Did they make that protocol change to non-standard browser settings out of coincidence, stupidity, or with the idea of limiting timely access to information for millions of Americans?

You be the judge.

As for me, I will ALWAYS make sure I have multiple sources for critical data, not just US gov't...

If you're with EPA, get the webmaster to put up a prominent issues box with the fix!!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

reply to post by Druid42

as Phage and i said we need the conversion factors for each instrument to know actual exposures. for example the gieger in boulder city near las vegas has a norm of around 20 cpm. so in that case 130 would be VERY high. when you start getting 5 and 6 standard deviations higher than the norm for and extended period of time, thats probably good evidence of something more than just background emissions.
Questions, then:

1. To level off false spikes, should we consider averaging a 24hour period's worth of numbers and use that as our baseline? Or some other period?
  2. If you say the gap between 20 and 130 is high, are we thinking on a linear or an exponential scale? Would the jump from a baseline of 130 to 240 be just as dangerous? (Still an increase of 120...) or 1000 to 1120?

Take a look at the links Muzzle posted a few back. There are some very good resources there about exposure levels. data 3 standard deviations from the mean are statistically significant. in historical data of sufficient sample the spikes wont matter. however the duration of the spikes should also be taken into consideration. the longer lived the spike, the less probablilty it is natural. Obviously the longer you test for the 'more true' the avg is. It's important to remember when thinking about this is that radioactive decay is COMPLETLEY RANDOM. the best way we can obtain an accurate rate of decay is to take a known quantity of a radio active substance, and determine how long until HALF of the material decays ergo Half-life. Pinpointing the rate or duration of life for a single radioactive particle is impossible and best explained by Schrodingers cat.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

i just tried to check on the epa map again and it says "Monitor location can not be loaded at this time." and ALL the stations are missing from the map (can still see the map). I never had a problem with the map before right now(w the map, i can't use the plot tool but that's prolly my fault)I have the TLP on.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BecauseiSaidso

Same here but the query page works.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

i just tried to check on the epa map again and it says "Monitor location can not be loaded at this time." and ALL the stations are missing from the map (can still see the map). I never had a problem with the map before right now(w the map, i can't use the plot tool but that's prolly my fault)I have the TLP on.

Fascinating, huh... I found a fix for the blocked users, then it just "dies"...

Keep digging and updating us, ATS... the game is still on!

RADNET
Service Temporarily Unavailable The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Whup.
Server is down now.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Anyone notice this?

March 22, 2011: As of 6:30pm (EDT) preliminary monitor results in Hawaii detected minuscule levels of an isotope that is consistent with the Japanese nuclear incident. This detection varies from background and historical data in Hawaii. This isotope was detected at our fixed monitor in Hawaii, and it is far below any level of concern for human health. The sampling filter from this monitor is being sent to our national radiation lab for further analysis.

cdxnode64.epa.gov...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Whup.
Server is down now.

CONDITION GREEN: it's back up.

also i noticed a different report via a map click. on the two in hawaii they list gamma exposure in mR/hr! Stations RN20 and RN19 don't know if it was that way before or not.
edit on 22-3-2011 by BecauseiSaidso because: real 2nd line

edit on 22-3-2011 by BecauseiSaidso because: added screen grab

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

It is working again...

Now Phage and I are on the same page...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Thanks for figuring out why everyone had trouble with the EPA site.

Great work.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

I've been trying that same link all day...I get the same message others have gotten every time I've tried. Why is it working for you but not others? I even tried opening up different browsers and trying it from them, on the off chance that perhaps that had something to do with it. Obviously that didn't work either. So what's the deal?! It its only working for some and not others, what could be the reason?

EDIT....should have read further in the thread......It looks like others figured out what was going on. My bad....
I B Dum Un Stuff......

edit on 23-3-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: kuz i ez like stupid and things like that

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

also i noticed a different report via a map click. on the two in hawaii they list gamma exposure in mR/hr! Stations RN20 and RN19 don't know if it was that way before or not.

Apparently that is the mode for deployable stations.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join