It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MEDICAL MIRACLE: Man has full face transplant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
A Texas construction worker horribly disfigured in a power line accident has undergone the nation's first full face transplant in hopes of smiling again and feeling kisses from his 3-year-old daughter.

Dallas Wiens, 25, received a new nose, lips, skin, muscle and nerves from an unidentified dead person in an operation paid for by the US military, which wants to use what is learned to help soldiers with severe facial wounds.

Wiens will not resemble "either what he used to be or the donor," but something in between, said plastic surgeon Dr Bohdan Pomahac). "The tissues are really molded on a new person."

edit on 21-3-2011 by grindhouzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ok, in my humble opinion, he doesnt resemble a HUMAN BEING at all!!

If iwas a three year old and i saw my father looking like this, i would be scared $hitless!!!
Let alone want kisses from him!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Poor guy.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

This guy needs the same thing to happen to him so he understands hard times. That's a cruel thing to say considering none of his loved ones will never see his real face again. The immaturity of some people.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

OK if its good enough for him that is what counts and I am sure his only concern is with how his daughter will react but this really just looks like a slab of skin with a gap for a mouth to be honest.

There are not perfect but still more face like better results to be had.

edit on 21-3-2011 by keepithush because: spelling

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cataclysmo

This guy needs the same thing to happen to him so he understands hard times. That's a cruel thing to say considering none of his loved ones will never see his real face again. The immaturity of some people.

Quite a condisending quote, as you are now wishing this to happen to me???
Immaturity is rife round here mate...

and believe me...I understand HARD times.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Wow man, your a #ing terrible excuse for a person, have a little sympathy for the guy, what are you like #ing 12? Grow up. How can you seriously make a joke about this?
edit on 21-3-2011 by DevilDog0311 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilDog0311

would you like to point out were i have made a joke out of this guys situation??

also dont speak to me like that, I am an exceptional person.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I really dont give a # if you were trying to make a joke or not but if your going to come up with something like that, why even say it at all? Its very offensive and in my opinion completely uncalled for.

If your an exceptional person, you sure know how to make yourself look like a jackass.
edit on 21-3-2011 by DevilDog0311 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilDog0311

So then why say that i was trying to make a joke at all??

Your statements are conflicting each time you post, and looking at your avatar picture and your username, im sure everyone thinks your a real SHINING STAR.

Bug off if you cant handle someone elses opinion

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I say that because to me it seemed that you were making a joke, if not it was a pretty heartless thing to say.

As for my avatar, its the worm guys from the movie Men in Black, dont really see anything wrong with that

As for my username, I'm in the united states marine corps (Devil dog) and my MOS is 0311, i'd say thats pretty honorable.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by grindhouzer
Ok, in my humble opinion, he doesnt resemble a HUMAN BEING at all!!

If iwas a three year old and i saw my father looking like this, i would be scared $hitless!!!
Let alone want kisses from him!!!

You have to understand that, people don't always read a post from your angle or state of mind.

While devildog thought you were making humor out of the picture, I am reading your responses and seeing what you mean. You're too focused on the fact that the face would scare a three year old, whose father suddenly became "faceless" so she would be confused by this strange face, therefore scared.

I don't think you should apologize for the post, but you should change it for better detail so there would be less confusion.

BTW, Devildog is a cool member of the board, at least from the things I've seen him post.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevilDog0311

As for my username, I'm in the united states marine corps (Devil dog) and my MOS is 0311, i'd say thats pretty honorable.

Honorable is an ill chosen word in that sentence bud. Just "being" a marine isn't honorable in of itself. You probably have seen plenty of "dirty" marines in your time. Or if you're talking about your MOS I'd say thats more balls then honor. Balls of course meaning courageous. If you've been honorable and gotten medals or ranks based on your honor, good. But the Marines are as honorable as the Isrealies. Depends on the individuals and not the group.

As for the rest of it, you too, read my post to grindhouzer. Yes you were confused, yes he was wrong for attacking you back rather then further explaining what his post meant to clear up the confusion because other members may read it the same way you did. You're both wrong, he needs to fix it, end of subject.

I do agree with him, if a little girl sees her dad and doesn't recognize him, she's going to be scared of this stanger that looks like something out of a nightmare. It was an accident, it'll soon be fixed, and the girl will mature. Am I saying that he looks like a nightmare to be mean, make fun of him, etc. No I'm just stating a psychological fact of what a child might see it as. To me he just looks like another burn victim that had his whole face burn off. Do I feel sorry, no, since he's still continuing life and seeking help to restore himself rather then sitting around then moping or getting depressed. Someone that can get up and march on, I respect.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I feel for this poor man i cant Imagine going through life like this even with a face transplant he will never look normal and I'm sure his daughter doesn't care what he looks like because she loves her daddy..
grindhouzer i found your comments beyond cruel with absolutely no respect for this man shame on you!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
It sucks that this has happened to this man. I hope that he gets his life somewhat back on track, or back to his normality.

Also, as much as I dislike grind's comment, why should he censor his comment based on someone's remarks? I'm sure everyone is aware of this, but this is a discussion forum, which means there are at least two sides. Asking a member to change his post or wording in regards to other persons feelings is taking away from his meaning, and also the right to freedom of speech. So, no. You shouldn't "reword" your post, grind... Say what you want, don't be a puppet for others!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I apologize to anyone who finds my wording inapropriate, and am sorry to say that i am unable to edit the original post due to a time period running out...?

However an earlier member said it better, im just seeing it from his daughters view point initially...im sure once she can understand what has happend to her father, life would resume normally....

I also would like to point out that i think this IS very SAD indeed, and wish all the best for him and his family, no dis-respect intended....

But come on!! in this day in age surely we are capable of better prosthetic science than putting on a dead face...

Watch the movie 'Vanilla Sky' and youll get my drift.....just maybe...

top topics

join