It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion In Louisville!! March 20th!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Chemical Plant Explodes!

Things are being downplayed on local television and news media. Does anyone know anything about the chemicals in this plant? Is there anything we should be worried about that is not being reported? It just seems things are being downplayed on the news and I know what that sounds and looks like. And I smell something may be up. I have kids here and animals and anyone with solid information or background on these types of places or the chemicals would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I'm taking it you live near the plant?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Ack! Doesn't sound too good down/over there!! I hope that everyone's ok, keep us updated please!

Another link .. scary!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Yes I live about 30 miles south east of where this plant exploded. I live in Elizabethtown KY. So far I know that this has been declared a Level 2 Hazardous materials Incident. The news is saying it is not of concern at the moment for you to go outside. I just don't believe anything the television says.

Firefighters were called at 5:40 p.m. to Carbide Industries located at 4400 Bells Lane. The fire is being treated as a low-level hazardous material emission. The plant is described as the largest producer of calcium carbide products, which is the chemical a MetroSafe official said is leaking from the plant.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
According to their website: www.carbidellc.com...

Carbide Industries is North America's largest producer of calcium carbide products with an annual production capacity of over 200,000 tons. CI is based in Louisville, KY with manufacturing plants in Louisville and Calvert City, KY.

Perhaps best recognized as the primary source of acetylene gas for metal fabrication and construction, calcium carbide is also a vital ingredient in the manufacture of many specialty chemicals, and is widely used as a desulfurization reagent for treating liquid metal in iron foundries and steel plants.

During the past one hundred plus years, calcium carbide has proven to be a versatile raw material for a diverse range of basic industry needs. At CI, we continually strive to enhance that versatility with new technology, more efficient products, and the best customer service. This adds up to more cost-effective results and better value for your investment. When you're considering sources for calcium carbide products...

Carbide Industries is the practical choice.

And their products: www.carbidellc.com...

Blast Furnace Iron Desulfurizers

Ductile Iron Desulfurizers
Slag Conditioners
Carbide Lime
Acetylene Gas for Specialty Chemicals
Acetylene Gas for Cutting and Welding
edit on 21-3-2011 by SenstivelyMe because: fixed link

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by InfowarriorCarson

The second link pretty much says everything you need to know. Keep indoors, don't breathe, you know, the usual. Not trying to be sarcastic but I wouldn't take this lightely. I would get out of that area for a little bit if you can. The news isn't going to tell you the truth, only the interweb, no wonder they want to take it away from us. Goodluck !

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Calcium carbide make acetylene gas when wet. Very flammable, Was used in carbide lamps by miners in the up until the early 1900's here in the US. Fairly safe when handled properly, very dangerous when not. Think of toy cannons or a simple version of a spud gun.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Live feed of EMS and police for the local Lousiville area. Can keep your ears on this to see if they pick up others for any type of poisoning. So far seems like it would be fine to go outside.

Live Feed!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Here is another link to live feed. Louisville is in Jefferson Co KY.www.radioreference.com...

I used to live in Louisville. Know the area well. I really feel for those folks. There are members on ATS from Louisville. I hope they check in soon.

Sending peace and love out in my prayers.

Ran a google for the local area, eyewitness report from local news agency, www.wave3.com...
edit on 21-3-2011 by SunflowerStar because: added wave 3 report

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
does anyone know why or how it blew?

When It Rains.. It Poors

top topics

join