It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No time..must leave...one bag..what would you like to be in it.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Being surprised by an earthquake or other catastrophe is something we never want to experiance. But reality is that these things can happen.

What if you are completely surprised and realise that the situation is life threatening, you can not stay and have to leave immediately. But you are a smart person and you have prepared for such a terrible event. You prepared a medium sized backpack with essentials.

The situation is: communications are down, no elektricity, no cars, trains or other public transportation, no water.

What stuff would you consider important to have with you in your backpack to survive the uncertain days to come.

Me myself was thinking:

a gallon of water,
A knife
A weapon (preferable a gun to defent yourself against people who want to take your essentials or to shoot something to eat)
A compass and a map
A portable solar or dynamo am/fm-radio (for any news/updates where to go)
Dynomo/solarcell Flashlight
Matches/lighter (for making fire)
tin nylon thread (for anything you need thread for)
A poncho (walking in the rain /shelter)
box with Ibuprofen (good anti-infection/painkiller)

These are just a few items I could think of. I would appreciate it if you guys have additions or substitutions for the stuff I came up with. You never know if this backpack must be prepared and be ready to go....

edit on 21-3-2011 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
water
gun
kinife
hemp plant
toiletpaper
ciggarets
containers with food
canned food
and a bike

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I have heard some people say they would like the head of George W. Bush in their "go-bag." However, I have settled for the typical things you have presented.

Here is a suggested list from a google search site:

Flashlight
Radio – battery operated
Batteries
Whistle
Dust mask
Pocket knife
Emergency cash in small denominations and quarters for phone calls
Sturdy shoes, a change of clothes, and a warm hat
Local map
Some water and food
Permanent marker, paper and tape
Photos of family members and pets for re-identification purposes
List of emergency point-of -contact phone numbers
List of allergies to any drug (especially antibiotics) or food
Copy of health insurance and identification cards
Extra prescription eye glasses, hearing aid or other vital personal items
Prescription medications and first aid supplies
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Extra keys to your house and vehicle
Any special-needs items for children, seniors or people with disabilities. Don’t forget to make a Go-bag for your pets.

I would add a mylar thermal blanket or several. Also, wouldn't hurt to wrap your electronics in aluminum foil in advance. Don't forget blankets - actually, you can buy a sleeping bag insert at a local sporting goods store for 15 bucks, which should do you well down to 40 degrees F.

Just follow this link to find a google search for "go bags."
edit on 21-3-2011 by alyoshablue because: Added link & information.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tamenie

The canned food is something realy important....the bike is a little hard to fold into the backpack but maybe you know of some new high-tec material that can make an inflatable bike?

THX for your contribution, I will add the food of some sorts to my list.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Hmm.. One bag, this is tough.. Lets see

Swiss army knife
Water
Water purifier tablets
Compass
Book of contacts (Often times we keep track of this in our phones..You would benefit from a hand written contact list)
Lighter fluid
box of matches
first aid kit
something of value (whatever i see first that could be bartered for)
Tinfoil hat ( for obvious reasons
)
edit on 21-3-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

What you are referring to is often called a 'Go Bag' or 'Bug Out Bag', and there are lots of good examples and lists out there if you feel like googling them. I'm sitting near mine right now!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Axe

a lot of stuff is nice to have .... but i think an axe is pretty essential if you are hightailing into the forest.
another important thing is a small stone to sharpen blades, you work a lot less when you use a sharp blade, and so you conserve energy and thus food.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Who said anything about leaving.....?
You can always camp out in the back yard.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetLandon
reply to post by zatara

What you are referring to is often called a 'Go Bag' or 'Bug Out Bag', and there are lots of good examples and lists out there if you feel like googling them. I'm sitting near mine right now!

Are you realy near your 'Go Bag'? When did you make this bag and what kind of 'emergency' did you have in mind when filling it with stuff? I will most certainly Google this subject. I did not realise that many more people hhad these worries before anything will happen. Thanks for the tip.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Laptop
A good knife
3 days worth of food and water
a second set of clothes
A sketchbook
A fishing rod.
Toilet paper
Small first aid
Water purifier

The laptop will contain thousands upon thousands of maps and an encyclopedia of edible plants and animals.
I will keep it charged with my trusty solar charger, sure it might take awhile but its worth having all that information at your disposal.

Do not underestimate modern technology.
Everything except the fishing rod fits in the bag.
edit on 21-3-2011 by Segador because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Along with the standards listed so far, I would also add in a strong magnifying glass or small Fresnel lens.

LOTS of uses for those puppies, from using solar power to cook, light fires, purify water, etc. And small enough to fit within a bag easily.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyoshablue
I have heard some people say they would like the head of George W. Bush in their "go-bag." However, I have settled for the typical things you have presented

Reminds me of that scene in Roger's Rangers (B&W Spencer Tracy movie) when that one guy was carrying around the head of an Indian in his pack and hiding it from the others.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
There is just one thing key for survival.

edit on 21-3-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
There is only one draw back to my bug out bag ITS IN MY HOUSE.
What if TSHTF while I am at work or picking the kids up from school?

So I carry a mini version in my purse. Several lighters, books of matches, a Swiss army knife, quick snacks or nuts (depends on my mood or the day) Nail clippers, you can use nail clippers for a thousand other things than clipping that pesky hang nail in a pinch. A small array of first aid supplies and a bottle of water. I know its not much and doesnt sound impressive but its enough to get me through a night or a day until I can get back home. Also In the rear of the car is a blanket, a gallon of drinkable water and usually various left over/dropped pieces of candy to munch on thanks to the kids

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
i got that bag,i bought all the stuff i need to survive in difficult situations. i also added a tent and good sleeping bag.and a secondary small suitcase (depends how much time i have to leave and the situation) wich has more food and more goods in it like more blanket ,clothing food.if i got no time i would leave that behind.i also have a large dog.soo i had to pack for her too.my mid size bag is soo heavy
i got a backpack for my dog soo when it's safe i load her too. but it wont be easy to escape with huge backpack, huge dog and myself .

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lostsock

Yeah...you are right...that's the way to think. These disasters will not wait untill you arrived home. It is a good idea to have some mini survival kit present in your car and the micro survival kit in your purse in case you can not make it to the car.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
sleeping bag and bivy sack.
knife
.45 and ammo
water filter
mirror
first aid kit/snake bite kit
needle and thread, including medical thread
led headlamp
small tool kit
duct tape
can opener, p-38
2nd set of clothes
x-tra boot liners
small digital shortwave and small solar panel
dehydrated food, about a weeks worth
couple gallons of water
sun screen and bug spray
compass and topo maps
vitamins and pain killers
climbing rope, a few carabiners and other odds and ends
lightweight binocs and night vision

my dogs pack
food and water
first aid kit
booties, she wears them on hot pavement or sand

i think that's everything.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Antiseptic
knife
sharpening stone
compass
small supply of water
pics of loved ones left behind to rot
two handguns
minimal yet sufficient ammo
alot of jerky
some good manga

oh and cannibus

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
There is just one thing key for survival.

edit on 21-3-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

Yeah...I was thinking about that one too.....todays technology has a very high standard. They come in various colors and sizes....and inflatable, which made it nowadays possible that it can easily fit into the side-pocket of the backpack....lol

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I'm not going anywhere. We bugged out eight years ago. Rural and fertile. Cow and sheep farms all around. Neighbors have a large apple orchard. One years food in storage. Oil lamps and two years wood for fireplace stacked and ready. Well water and solar panels. River with fish and mucho wild game. And over an hour in any direction until you reach the next metro area. And solid rocking chairs.
If Calamity comes for me here it can have me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join