It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News keeps stating "war 3 in the Middle East." Afghanistan is not in the Middle East.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Fox News keeps stating "war 3 in the Middle East." Afghanistan is not in the Middle East. Anyone else noticing these repeated errors who are watching FNC? Shepard Smith made it twice today at the beginning of The Fox Report he hosts..

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
They are saying wwIII and its the middle east part that bothers you?

what is it then?its not far east,or near east

Libya is as far west as Germany.

another war against men of middle eastern looks perhaps.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Maybe it's because of this

The U.S. is now at war in a third Muslim country, according to the "official tally" (that is, counting Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya but not Pakistan or Yemen, for example).

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Afghanistan is actually considered part of the Middle East. I understand it shows just outside of the Middle East on some maps, but modern interpretation makes it part of the Middle East.

Google it

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
Maybe it's because of this

The U.S. is now at war in a third Muslim country, according to the "official tally" (that is, counting Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya but not Pakistan or Yemen, for example).

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I'm sure that's what they meant, but you would think they're better than that. Supposedly they're professionals.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealTruth84
Afghanistan is actually considered part of the Middle East. I understand it shows just outside of the Middle East on some maps, but modern interpretation makes it part of the Middle East.

Google it

Could you Google it, and post some links here regarding what you're claiming?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Afganistan is classed world wide as being in the Middle East but what they really mean is WW111 starts in the Middle East - Seeds have been sown - just a matter of time.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
From everything I've read, Afghanistan is not considered "middle east" at all.. It's not even an Arab nation. Afghanistan is considered Asia Minor...

However, the Middle East as a region is largely considered to be "the middle east AND NORTH AFRICA"... So Libya could be considered the Middle East in that respect.... Plus they are an Arab country..

That's my .02

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool
Fox News keeps stating "war 3 in the Middle East." Afghanistan is not in the Middle East. Anyone else noticing these repeated errors who are watching FNC? Shepard Smith made it twice today at the beginning of The Fox Report he hosts..

well...this is FOX after all, what do you expect? accuracy? ....please...for me to listen to FOX NEWS, i would have to record it first, then go back and check the actual documentation relating to the specific story to see if it was true. so...i simply don't listen to them.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
A lot of people seem to nitpick that. Pakistan as well (which, to me, is still the middle east). Technically Libya is North Africa but I toss it in with the middle east as well.

To make sure I wasn't making a fool of myself, I just looked it up and it seems Fox is correct.

Those countries comprise what is known as 'The Greater Middle East.' So you apparently have your core middle east of Israel, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, etc.

Then you have your 'greater middle east' that includes Libya, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc.

Kind of like the 'Dallas metro area,' I guess.
You might not be in Dallas proper, but it's considered 'The Greater Dallas. lol Best I can explain it.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
either you guys read too fast or jump to conclusions but from what iv read it doesnt say WWIII or world war 3. the op said war 3 as in the 3rd war we are in. correct me if im wrong.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
Afganistan is classed world wide as being in the Middle East but what they really mean is WW111 starts in the Middle East - Seeds have been sown - just a matter of time.

No. They are saying the third war has started. That is NOT WWIII.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod
either you guys read too fast or jump to conclusions but from what iv read it doesnt say WWIII or world war 3. the op said war 3 as in the 3rd war we are in. correct me if im wrong.

You are absolutely correct. And pointing out Afganistan is NOT in the "Middle East" is rather pedantic at best.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Mainstream source to support that claim?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

And pointing out Afganistan is NOT in the "Middle East" is rather pedantic at best.

Oh?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

To be clear:
My open is about Fox News stating in general loose terms that Afghanistan is located within the Middle East. This statement was conveyed in such a context when Shepard Smith stated twice "a 3rd war in the Middle East." Even though Afghanistan is located in south-central Asia not the Middle East.

There have been discussions on other threads on this site that have touched on the possibility that the attacks on Libya may spun a 3rd WW. That might be where the confusion is originating from.
edit on 21-3-2011 by LilDudeissocool because: Added text

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

No. They are saying the third war has started. That is NOT WWIII.

Correct

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
A lot of people seem to nitpick that. Pakistan as well (which, to me, is still the middle east). Technically Libya is North Africa but I toss it in with the middle east as well.

To make sure I wasn't making a fool of myself, I just looked it up and it seems Fox is correct.

Those countries comprise what is known as 'The Greater Middle East.' So you apparently have your core middle east of Israel, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, etc.

Then you have your 'greater middle east' that includes Libya, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc.

Kind of like the 'Dallas metro area,' I guess.
You might not be in Dallas proper, but it's considered 'The Greater Dallas. lol Best I can explain it.

True regarding Libya. However not true regarding Afghanistan. Afghanistan is always without exception considered a country located in the region of south-central Asia.

Why Libya is an exception:

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

history.state.gov...

"The Eisenhower Doctrine, a 1957 foreign policy of the United States government, was the first to officially use the term Middle East.[9] Secretary of State John Foster Dulles defined the Middle East as "the area lying between and including Libya on the west and Pakistan on the east, Syria and Iraq on the North and the Arabian peninsula to the south, plus the Sudan and Ethiopia."[9] In 1958, the State Department explained that the terms "Near East" and "Middle East" were interchangeable, and defined the region as including only Egypt, Syria, Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Qatar.[13]"

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Also, from one of your links, though: Afghanistan is listed among the countries listed as being in the Greater Middle East area.

Scroll down to the list of countries included in the 'Greater Middle East' area.

So I guess no one is technically right or wrong if you look at it both ways. To use the Dallas analogy again, Plano isn't technically the city of Dallas but it is in the 'Dallas Metro Area.' When I lived in Plano, I just considered it 'Dallas.' Same as Afghanistan concerning the middle east, IMHO. Not the core, classical ME but the ME region.

?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
'Middle East' is just the MSM/PTB euphemism for 'Islamic Nation'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join