It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your teenager may need to ride in a booster seat.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
And if you're less than 5 feet tall, you may have to as well.

The American Academy of Pediatrics and the NTSB have put out their latest recommendations and it looks like our poor kids won't ever be allowed to get out of those booster seats if they have their way.

Kids safest in rear-facing car seats until age 2

Children should ride in rear-facing car seats longer, until they are 2 years old instead of 1, according to updated advice from a medical group and a federal agency.

The American Academy of Pediatrics and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued separate but consistent new recommendations Monday.

Both organizations say older children who've outgrown front-facing car seats should ride in booster seats until the lap-shoulder belt fits them. Booster seats help position adult seat belts properly on children's smaller frames. Children usually can graduate from a booster seat when their height reaches 4 feet 9 inches.

Children younger than 13 should ride in the back seat, the guidelines from both groups say.

The advice may seem extreme to some parents, who may imagine trouble convincing older elementary school kids — as old as 12 — to use booster seats.

Put another way, an estimated 1,000 children injured in forward-facing seats over 15 years might not have been hurt if they had been in a car seat facing the back, said Dr. Dennis Durbin, lead author of the recommendations and a pediatric emergency physician at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Yahoo News

So let me get this strait; they want us to put our kids through the indignity of riding in a booster seat almost until they reach adulthood because it may have prevented 1000 INJURIES OVER 15 YEARS!!!

ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME?!?

I'm all for protecting little kids but these standards are just going WAY too far. At some point people need to just accept that life comes with some risks and infringing on every-body's quality of life to prevent relatively few injuries is not justified.

To think, we didn't even have to WEAR seat-belts when I was a kid and there was no massive die off of children in accidents when I was growing up. Those people need to get a life and let kids be comfortable when riding in cars instead of worrying about preventing "just one injury".

"If it only saves one life then it is worth it."

edit on 3/21/11 by FortAnthem because:
-----------------------

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

In no way would I ever put my kids in a dangerous situation ( I have 4 children, ages from 11months to 20 years old) but I couldn't agree with you more. Talk about smothering us with cotton wool!!
I also remember as a child there were no seatbelts in the cars. My partner is an avid collecter of cars mainly from the fifties, which we still drive around legally with no seatbelts, although we have fitted one for the baby seat. Remember though, those cars were made tough, alot stronger than todays toys.
But no to booster seats for teens I say.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
my wife read me this article earlier today, in fact.

I cannot believe the crap they try to foist on people these days. When I was a kid, we didn't even HAVE seat belts in a lot of vehicles rofl

Sorry, I just cannot see myself trying to get my teenageer to ride in a freakin booster seat. I can barely get her to respond to me in anything other than the gutteral rage language they use these days rofl

I'll be putting their "recommendations" right where they belong.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Do they ever come out with ANY "recommendations" that are cost free to the public? More studies = more laws = more revenue = more criminals = more funding for more studies.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina

I'll be putting their "recommendations" right where they belong.

The problem is, these "recommendations" have a nasty way of becoming laws in most states.

For some reason, I just can't shake the feeling that many states will jump on this as a money maker. I can see it now; check points where they make your kids get out and stand next to a ruler like at the amusement park to get on a ride.

That'll do wonders for their self esteem. I remember how much I hated those rulers when I was a kid going to amusement parks.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Do they ever come out with ANY "recommendations" that are cost free to the public? More studies = more laws = more revenue = more criminals = more funding for more studies.

amen

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I'm more confused as to how a 2yr old would fit into a rear-facing car seat?!
Also, I am friends with a few people who are late 20's and are under 5ft tall...
How about just making it mandatory to use those seatbelt clips that adjust the belt to fit correctly?! Much less demeaning for a teen IMO...

I say the same as you about my childhood, from as young as I can remember I NEVER had a booster seat. Neither did either of my younger brothers. In fact, we'd often have our friends in the car with us meaning at least one of us would be sitting on someones lap
(I'm glad THATS not allowed anymore btw)

We're not all stupid, jeez.

P.S. I know I'm U.K but as our government lives up your governments butt this will eventually be an issue here no doubt....

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
So would this mean my 21 year old granddaughter who is only
5 foot would have to use a booster seat to drive

Insane what they come up with - wonder who has
their hands in the production of booster seats?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
From the article:

The advice may seem extreme to some parents, who may imagine trouble convincing older elementary school kids — as old as 12 — to use booster seats.

Gee, you think?

Great idea. Have your kid be OK in a booster seat but have them get their butt kicked in school for being the nerd whose mom makes him ride in a booster seat. Lose-lose.

Seriously, though. I remember my mother warning me about this recently and that they were deciding this for our area (being that I have a 7 year old). I don't know. That is way too old for kids to be in car seats/booster seats, IMO. And as a preteen? Come on. Wrap them in bubble wrap, why don't you.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
So would this mean my 21 year old granddaughter who is only
5 foot would have to use a booster seat to drive

Not yet, but they're inching their way up to it. The new recommendations are booster seats until 4'9".

My youngest one was just about to get out of her booster on her next birthday. If I follow these standards, I'll have to put my two older kids BACK into the seats.

You say the booster seat industry must be in on this. I think the mini-van makers had a hand in this as well. You can only fit so many booster seats in a car. They want to force parents with more than two kids into buying bigger, more expensive mini-vans when the economy is already tight.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I don't get the "rear facing" until 2 years old LOL. How comfy will that be for the poor kid with their little legs all squished up! Not to mention them continually pushing against the back of the seat with their feet and legs which can eventually loosen up the straps. My two youngest boys are very short for their age (a full head shorter than the rest of their class), and trying to keep them rear facing until 1 year old was tricky...imagine tall kids!

But as for the rest of it...that is already law in Canada

Safe and Secure

Booster seats are required for children under the age of eight, weighing 18 kg or more but less than 36 kg (40-80 lb.) and who stand less than 145 cm (4 feet-9 inches) tall. A child can start using a seatbelt alone once any one of the following criteria is met: * child turns eight years old * child weighs 36 kg (80 lb.) * child is 145 cm (4 feet-9 inches) tall.

They do however temper the height requirement with a weight and age, so if the child reaches any one of the age, weight or height requirement you can move them to a seatbelt.

Michelle

edit to add: My now 18 year old son was put into a seatbelt at the age of 5, my younger two boys both had to wait until they were eight, and hated every last minute of it!
edit on 21-3-2011 by Michelle129th because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Your response about trying to get your teenage kids to nicely comply with getting in a booster seat made me laugh. I was trying to imagine my kids reaction, and the only scenario I come up with is "well I'll just walk then"

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Well I know some drivers that will need booster seats in this case as well. LOL. really my cousin's wife is 4'11" tall under that law, she'd need a booster seat!

edit on 21-3-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2011 by ldyserenity because: effed up obviously

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

The American Academy of Pediatrics and the NTSB have put out their latest recommendations and it looks like our poor kids won't ever be allowed to get out of those booster seats if they have their way.

Kids safest in rear-facing car seats until age 2

Children should ride in rear-facing car seats longer, until they are 2 years old instead of 1, according to updated advice from a medical group and a federal agency.

The American Academy of Pediatrics and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued separate but consistent new recommendations Monday.

It became compulsory here in the UK 2006.............

news.bbc.co.uk...

Both organizations say older children who've outgrown front-facing car seats should ride in booster seats until the lap-shoulder belt fits them. Booster seats help position adult seat belts properly on children's smaller frames. Children usually can graduate from a booster seat when their height reaches 4 feet 9 inches.

Children younger than 13 should ride in the back seat, the guidelines from both groups say.

Put another way, an estimated 1,000 children injured in forward-facing seats over 15 years might not have been hurt if they had been in a car seat facing the back, said Dr. Dennis Durbin, lead author of the recommendations and a pediatric emergency physician at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Yahoo News

So let me get this strait; they want us to put our kids through the indignity of riding in a booster seat almost until they reach adulthood because it may have prevented 1000 INJURIES OVER 15 YEARS!!!

ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME?!?

I'm all for protecting little kids but these standards are just going WAY too far. At some point people need to just accept that life comes with some risks and infringing on every-body's quality of life to prevent relatively few injuries is not justified.

To think, we didn't even have to WEAR seat-belts when I was a kid and there was no massive die off of children in accidents when I was growing up. Those people need to get a life and let kids be comfortable when riding in cars instead of worrying about preventing "just one injury".

"If it only saves one life then it is worth it."

edit on 3/21/11 by FortAnthem because:
-----------------------

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
It is crazy, I sure wish these people would explain that to my children because maybe they could get my 11 year old into a booster seat.

Good grief. I am reminded of when I was younger, my mother had a full front seating car seat for my 2 year old sister, not uncommon or unacceptable. But that kid would not stay in that seat, we'd put her in, we'd make it tight, and she could bend and twist her way out of it, no matter what. We would drive two blocks and she'd be sitting right beside the chair with a very large smile.

What to they suggest then? Will come and explain to the two year old as well, that they must remain in the seat.

Look, we try to protect our kids, and they try to evade the protection, quit making my life more expensive and difficult than it needs to be.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

Sorry ended up posting reply halfway down yours - It is complusory to have a booster seat here in UK since 2006

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
this is so ridiculous!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

It is and my now 13yr old brother went mad at the time

How long before they copy the US (if it becomes law) and put the height up to 5'..... monkey see, monkey do...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by vesta
reply to post by vesta

Sorry ended up posting reply halfway down yours - It is complusory to have a booster seat here in UK since 2006

news.bbc.co.uk...

Either 4'5" or 12 years old! Then they make you pay more if you try to fight it in court!

This is a moneymaking scheme if I ever saw one. I cannot believe that those things make kids safer when driving, this whole thing is BS.

I can't believe they actually came out with that 1,000 injuries over 15 years figure. That stat is laughable at best. If anything, it shows how much money is being wasted for such a minuscule result.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
We could just bubble wrap the kids and never let them out of the house.

Is that ok big brother????

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join