It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to Launch a Mission to the Sun.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I allways knew the russians were crazy

Russia plans to start intensive studies of the Sun by means of space vehicles, Russian space authorities say.

A new space vehicle “InterHelioZond”, scheduled for launch after 2015, will explore the Sun from a very short distance – less than 40 solar radiuses, which is inside Mercury’s orbit.

Information about the Sun is currently collected by 5 or 6 automatic satellites, however, no one is close to the star. “InterHelioZond” satellite is expected to collect valuable scientific information, scientists hope.

Sorry the source is in russian thats why i posted the whole article here.
nauka.izvestia.ru...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Make it a manned mission and I will be impressed. Seriously though, it's a cool idea but I have no idea how they think this is really going to work.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
That rocks! - NASA just got a probe into orbit around Mercury and know the Russians are doing this, makes you wonder what materials they are using for these things! Diamondillium or maybe Diamondium? I'm not really an expert.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Well that's pretty crazy. Mad Russians!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
reply to post by Itop1

Make it a manned mission and I will be impressed. Seriously though, it's a cool idea but I have no idea how they think this is really going to work.

They're going to do it at night so the spacecraft don't burn up, eh?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Great Zombie Jesus, you sir made my day with that reference.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

You are not longer on my friends list; you stole my line

I just don't see how they can build a satellite that will stand up to the incredible heat.
edit on 21-3-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I'm sorry

And wear sunblock lotion SBF 40000 and sunglasses during the day...

edit on 21-3-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
That rocks! - NASA just got a probe into orbit around Mercury and know the Russians are doing this, makes you wonder what materials they are using for these things! Diamondillium or maybe Diamondium? I'm not really an expert.

Unobtanium.

Im wondering how they will send a readable signal back being that close to the sun??

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

crazy russian magic, thats how.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I think this is a good idea because the sun has a huge affect on earth and we need to learn more about it. atleast russia is still doing great work in space

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It's been done... In Hollywood

VERY entertaining Sci-Fi movie; please check it out:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Hope they're sending some decent musicians

www.youtube.com...
edit on 21-3-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
reply to post by Itop1

They're going to do it at night so the spacecraft don't burn up, eh?

Classic. Love it!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well lookie here

Solar Probe Plus will be an extraordinary and historic mission, exploring what is arguably the last region of the solar system to be visited by a spacecraft, the Sun’s outer atmosphere or corona as it extends out into space. Solar Probe Plus will repeatedly sample the near-Sun environment, revolutionizing our knowledge and understanding of coronal heating and of the origin and evolution of the solar wind and answering critical questions in heliophysics that have been ranked as top priorities for decades. Moreover, by making direct, in-situ measurements of the region where some of the most hazardous solar energetic particles are energized, Solar Probe Plus will make a fundamental contribution to our ability to characterize and forecast the radiation environment in which future space explorers will work and live.

NASA is planning to do something similar aiming for 2018

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Good job Russia, I wonder if they would mind hauling off some nuclear waste while they are at it? maybe sling it into the sun... O.o

new topics

top topics

join