It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible Answers to Member Questions

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

The following Scripture supports that we are not to teach anything that does not agree with Christ Teaching, which is the entire Bible, but made clear in the New Testament or better said as New Covenant.

1 Timothy 6:3-5
If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.

2 Timothy 4:3-4
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.

Galatians 1:6-9
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

You see that God being the same and incapable of lying, not one to cause confusion does not change. So if you are taught anything that does not agree with the scripture than you are being taught by a false teacher. God does not contradict himself ever.

This does not mean that someone might teach you something that is completely separate from scripture.

Something like saying the Internet is the tool of the devil, may or may not be a true statement. As we all know the internet can be used for both good and bad things. So if your church tells you to stay away from the internet it is possible that they have received a message from the Holy Spirit. Do you see how this is new but not in contradiction to the bible?

Everything that I have said fits with every passage in the bible. You will not find one contradiction; you only find what you think to be a contradiction because of what you were taught by men.

Again if anyone teaches you anything that contradicts the bible they are a false teacher. The bible is abundantly clear on this subject. This is the only way to know who is a false teacher.

edit on 25-12-2011 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
reply to post by sacgamer25

Why do you ignore what Jesus and the apostles say to follow doctrines of men like scripture alone and faith alone? No where in the scriptures does it say that. Rather it tells you to listen to church authority.

You said nothing outside scripture should be followed. So where in the scripture does it claim this? If you believe this you are following an unscriptural teaching. How can you do this with a straight face?

The Catholic Church does not contradict scripture, but YOUR interpretation of scripture. We have already seen that it's not up to private interpretation. We have seen John admit that not everything was written down. If everything was not written down, how can you claim because it is not directly mentioned in scripture it is false?
edit on 25-12-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

Now I get it, you are defending the Catholic Church. The same goes for all.

Again if anyone teaches you anything that contradicts the bible they are a false teacher. The bible is abundantly clear on this subject.

You see what you hear is not what I say. I did not say that anyone has ever been a false teacher. I am simply saying that if anything a teacher says contradicts anything what is in the bible than they are a false teacher. God does not contradict himself, he is incapable of lying.

I am not denying nor defending any denomination with my statements. I am simply stating the fact that God does not contradict himself. So if anything you are taught contradicts scripture than you were taught by a false teacher.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

I am simply saying that if anything a teacher says contradicts anything what is in the bible than they are a false teacher. God does not contradict himself, he is incapable of lying.

God didn't write the bible man...

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Read my latest edit, last paragraph. Catholic teachings are consistent with scripture, yet people still deny them because some of them are part of the unwritten words of God. You yourself say as long as it does not contradict the bible it has the possibility of being true. Yet they are only wrong to you because you have a different interpretation, where scripture itself says that private interpretation is wrong. Do you see the paradox yet?

Do you at least know that Martin Luther took out books of the bible? If they were in error, God then allowed scripture to be wronged, refuting the inerrancy of scripture by God.

It's very hard to get over the meme of bible alone, because it has been parroted for so long. But the doctrine is self-refuting.

This is why I believe bible-alone is the same as saying interpretation-alone and I agreed with sk0rpion.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

We have already seen that it's not up to private interpretation.

It is also not up to church interpretation.

1 John 2:26-27
26 I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. 27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

(1 Corinthians 2:10)
"But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God."

(John 14:26)
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, HE WILL TEACH YOU ALL THINGS, and bring to your remembrance all things that I have said to you."

(JOHN 16:13)
"However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, HE WILL GUIDE YOU INTO ALL TRUTH ..."

2 Cor. 13:14,
"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all."

Nothing that I have said contradicts the bible. It is only the Holy Spirit that can interpret the bible. It is only the Holy Spirit that can teach you the truth. You see I say I have been taught by the Holy Spirit and this is how I know the truth. Myself, or any man can only reveal to you a shadow of the truth. For you to have a complete understanding you have to be taught by the Holy Spirit.

If what I say does not contradict scripture than by what other means do you use to determine if what I say is true or false?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

I am simply saying that if anything a teacher says contradicts anything what is in the bible than they are a false teacher. God does not contradict himself, he is incapable of lying.

No but the Holy Spirit did guide all of the writing. This is why one cannot fully understand the bible without the Holy Spirit. One can only receive the Holy Spirit if they have faith. How can anyone expect to receive the Holy Spirit if they do not have faith in the book that presents the Holy Spirit as the protected word of God?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
The answer is, listening to the Church Jesus Christ established to instruct men. That is how you know what is true false because He promised not even the gates of hell would prevail against it.

The Holy Spirit claim is a strange one. Almost every denomination claims the same thing yet they have different interpretations. The Catholic belief is that claim is for the apostles and their successors. They would always the truth despite all the heresies, and the Church cannot fail.

Seeing as how everyone claims to have the Holy Spirit and yet have different interpretation, don't you suppose your interpretation has been shown to be false?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Read my latest edit, last paragraph. Catholic teachings are consistent with scripture, yet people still deny them because some of them are part of the unwritten words of God. You yourself say as long as it does not contradict the bible it has the possibility of being true. Yet they are only wrong to you because you have a different interpretation, where scripture itself says that private interpretation is wrong. Do you see the paradox yet?

Do you at least know that Martin Luther took out books of the bible? If they were in error, God then allowed scripture to be wronged, refuting the inerrancy of scripture by God.

It's very hard to get over the meme of bible alone, because it has been parroted for so long. But the doctrine is self-refuting.

This is why I believe bible-alone is the same as saying interpretation-alone and I agreed with sk0rpion.

I’m not sure where I said that anything that any denomination claims is against scripture. For me personally I do not choose a denomination, for the simple fact that I do not believe in separation. All of the Christian Denominations teach something that I do not agree with.

This does not mean that I am saying that anything they teach is against scripture. If anyone can claim that Jesus Christ was flesh and blood the son of the living God than I believe they are my brother. I also believe that it is acceptable for us to not agree on everything, especially when it is not supported by scripture. The Holy Spirit is my guide if something is wrong for me the Holy Spirit will guide me and show me how it is wrong.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

The answer is, listening to the Church Jesus Christ established to instruct men. That is how you know what is true false because He promised not even the gates of hell would prevail against it.

The Holy Spirit claim is a strange one. Almost every denomination claims the same thing yet they have different interpretations. The Catholic belief is that claim is for the apostles and their successors. They would always the truth despite all the heresies, and the Church cannot fail.

Seeing as how everyone claims to have the Holy Spirit and yet have different interpretation, don't you suppose your interpretation has been shown to be false?

I can only be sure of what I know, the Holy Spirit lives in me. You cannot be sure of the Holy Spirit living in me. Nor can you be sure the Holy Spirit has lived in any church leader, ever. This is the point of comparing everything to scripture. If a church leader says something that contradicts the bible they are a false teacher.

Again this does not mean that men are not guided by the Holy Spirit to new revelations. Like my example of the internet. What it simply means is if anyone says anything that contradicts the bible they are a false teacher. I am not sure why you have such a hard time accepting this. Does the Catholic Church contradict the bible? Quite honestly I have not done enough research on the subject to make that claim. If they do not than you should not have a hard time believing me.

What exactly did I say that you believe is false? I am sure that you are misunderstanding me if you believe this.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Then you do not believe in bible alone, because you believe in things that are not in bible could be true too. My bone is with sola scriptura because it is a terrible doctrine of men. Then my argument is not with you but the ones who contend that everything not in the bible is false or false tradition. I just want to illustrate that it is self-refuting and one of the things I realized while overcoming anti-Catholic propaganda.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25

No but the Holy Spirit did guide all of the writing. This is why one cannot fully understand the bible without the Holy Spirit. One can only receive the Holy Spirit if they have faith. How can anyone expect to receive the Holy Spirit if they do not have faith in the book that presents the Holy Spirit as the protected word of God?

IF the "holy spirit" guided its writing there would be no errors within its pages...

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Anyway, sorry guys for kind of hijacking your thread. I got caught up in the debate.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Then you do not believe in bible alone, because you believe in things that are not in bible could be true too. My bone is with sola scriptura because it is a terrible doctrine of men. Then my argument is not with you but the ones who contend that everything not in the bible is false. I just want to illustrate that it is self-refuting and one of the things I realized while overcoming anti-Catholic propaganda.

Yes I am perfectly ok with any denomination teaching something that is new, so long as it doesn’t contradict the bible. I believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are still being given, although I would say sparingly.

So it not only is possible but even likely that some are still being guided to the truth. There are a lot of changes in the world over the last 2000 years. It would make since for the church to receive guidance from the Holy Spirit on how to handle these changes.

I do know there is a lot of Catholic hate but I am not from that group. Like I said I am guided by the Holy Spirit and I know only one truth to be certain. If you have faith and can claim with your mouth that Jesus Christ was flesh and blood the son of God than you are my brother. I can accept any difference of opinion we may have and continue to show love.

I believe this debate covered a critical bible question. So although we may have derailed a bit I believe that we were on topic.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Then you do not believe in bible alone, because you believe in things that are not in bible could be true too. My bone is with sola scriptura because it is a terrible doctrine of men. Then my argument is not with you but the ones who contend that everything not in the bible is false. I just want to illustrate that it is self-refuting and one of the things I realized while overcoming anti-Catholic propaganda.

Yes I am perfectly ok with any denomination teaching something that is new, so long as it doesn’t contradict the bible. I believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are still being given, although I would say sparingly.

So it not only is possible but even likely that some are still being guided to the truth. There are a lot of changes in the world over the last 2000 years. It would make since for the church to receive guidance from the Holy Spirit on how to handle these changes.

I do know there is a lot of Catholic hate but I am not from that group. Like I said I am guided by the Holy Spirit and I know only one truth to be certain. If you have faith and can claim with your mouth that Jesus Christ was flesh and blood the son of God than you are my brother. I can accept any difference of opinion we may have and continue to show love.

I believe this debate covered a critical bible question. So although we may have derailed a bit I believe that we were on topic.

Thank you for your love brother. I am so used to reading anti-Catholic rhetoric all over the site that I falsely assumed you too were one.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

IF the "holy spirit" guided its writing there would be no errors within its pages...

I have read through over 300 supposed errors and I do not agree with the assumptions of those who claim that there are errors or contradictions. Just for your reference I did this several years ago prior to being given the gift of interpretation. I actually believe that had I not come to the conclusion that the bible was accurate and preserved by God that I would not have had the faith necessary to receive this gift.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Ok then...

Regardless of what you might have "read"... there are errors, logical and factual...

edit on 25-12-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Ok then...

You know I really do love you. I hope that is not too weird. At the end of the day my prayer is simple, that we all return to our father. And since I believe that all things are possible through God I also believe this too could be possible.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Ok then...

You know I really do love you. I hope that is not too weird. At the end of the day my prayer is simple, that we all return to our father. And since I believe that all things are possible through God I also believe this too could be possible.

I appreciate that bro...

And you don't have to worry, we all return to our Father...

All that really matters is what we make of the time we have here

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I hope that someone answer this questions from the bible
www.youtube.com...

thanks

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

. . . it was by the will of God that the bible was canonized. Giving man any credit in this accomplishment is giving man a place of authority and righteousness that only belongs to Jesus Christ.

Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria is who you should give credit.
This is an actual historical person and I have three books written by him.
He created the New Testament canon, it was the will of this one particular man, not God.

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join