It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible Answers to Member Questions

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
The op never answered my questions...just beat around the bush, claimed my questions were more of an essay and quoted a load of garbage from the bible.
You fail OP

You never answered why there are soooooooo many inconsistencies....i was not the only person to ask this....i even gave you a couple of examples (an essay as you put it, yet you post many more quotes from the bible)

Your answers are worthless as they arent YOUR answers...they are quotes from the bible...which have little or no proof to back them up

I told you from the get go, heck read my blasted title of this thread! lol

If you want a mans personal opinion ask your roommates. If you want Bible answers come here. Unbelievable lack of reading skills showing through once again. How embarrassing.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Oh yeah.....I forgot about the derailing part

I will do my best to be more mindful

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
Ok, I have a question.

Was Mohamed's coming foretold in the song of Solomon?

Not that I know of. Since he was a prophet of Islam and not Jewish, I doubt it.
edit on 22-3-2011 by KJV1611 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by KJV1611

Originally posted by 2012king
Slightly off topic but, if Jesus was the son of god and he existed on earth, in theory, if we managed to find remains of him of which DNA could be extracted, would we actually have the DNA of god? and if so, would we be able to create a replica of him? if we did create that replica, what would happen? surely there couldnt be 2 gods in existance could there?

This goes in line with the shroud of Turin. Which is a lie.

And no, there would be no DNA of Jesus as he rose from the dead and thus no body according to the Bible. As of now, we can barely even clone a sheep (pun) lets alone God. Lets work on regular humans first....

however at some point he had a body of flesh right? if he was born as a human, in whatever context you want to use, he at some point had dna right? so wether he rose as a ghost or a zombie or whatever he DID have a body at some point, therefore if we were to get a sample of his DNA in theory this would tell us wether he had human DNA or something else, and it could be broken down and it would be possible in theory to clone it. So if it was seperated into the two different parts, his mothers and his fathers, you could re-create his father-God. Could that be the reason the Turin shroud is no longer availible to be analysed by scientists, or could it just be that they now know its a fake or at least from the wrong timeline and either way it would make the whole jesus, son of god thing a myth.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM

I just wanted to restate my original question in case it got lost in the mix.

How does one inherit the eternal life promised by Jesus?

Is my question not worthy of a reply?

Sir, and everyone else, I am going in order of questions given. I am on page 8 right now and there are over 12 pages. I will get to you, I promise.

As for your question, since it is the most important on on here:

1 John 5:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. "
1 John 5:12 "He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. "
Roans 10:9-13
"9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. "

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Can i just ask something, open to anybody, do you believe in any of the Greek Gods? Zeus etc? If so, how does this fall into line with God from the bible? and if not, why? it may be in the wrong thread but i am just fishing for info....

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I have heard this theory as well, but you always have a choice. I believe the Bibles account, word for word. Any other theories are just for reading enjoyment.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Where to begin...ok, the Bible is misogynistic (Old Testament as a whole, the Letters of Paul.), endorses slavery, instructs mass rape of captured women, demonizes those who don't believe, etc.

Inconsistencies can be found between the Gospels so that it would be impossible to form a coherent narrative of the life of Jesus, the death of Judas, etc.

Irreconcilable with history...well, there's no evidence for most of the events in the New and Old Testaments. Furthermore, the life of Jesus as described between the four gospels simply doesn't fit in with history. As for the natural world, there isn't a single passage relating to the operation of the natural world in the Bible that fits in with science. There isn't a dome of heaven, we don't have a flat earth, we don't have a geocentric universe, the earth wasn't created in 6 days, there wasn't a global deluge, etc.

Contradictions abound...

And the Bible is just wrong about a great many things. Atheists aren't horrible people, slavery is wrong, women aren't property, rape is horrible, etc.

I love how you just simply dodged the questions.

I see a lot of opinion and judgmental thinking, but nothing specific. To cherry pick one, lets go to the flat earth idea.

AFAIK the only reference to a flat earth is in Revelation 7, when John speaks of angels standing in the four corners of the earth.
This seems to be a matter of interpretation, as the four angels could just as easily be understood to be standing in the four cardinal directions....
I would think and as a scholar would list this in language of appearance - you know, the same thing that makes us say the sun rises in the east when we know the sun doesn't rise, the earth rotates.
Flat earth was a conceit held by the church based on their thought and understanding, not any biblical basis. In fact, it was contradictory to Job 26, in which the earth is referenced as suspended in space, stating "He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing. Contextually, this verse refers to the earth in space, as part of the power of God, who can see the earth, that Hell is laid bare for Him, and makes the clouds... essentially God is strong, look at this... and now how does a person on a speck he suspended in space really get Him?

Atheists are blaspheming technically. Denying God is to put another god before Him - so no wonder... this should be a no-duh understanding here.

yes, slavery sucks. However, in teh Bible, there is a regimented allotment of slavery and how to treat them. there is no sanction in the Bible for unwarranted cruelty or sexual abuse of slaves, plus there was active emancipation of slaves as a result of their period of indentured servitude was over. None of that is present in classic American slavery, which is where our concept of slavery is often rooted.

Women are property in the old Israelite way, just like they were second-class citizens here in America until just recently. The OT was a direct addressing of the israelites and their lives. the NT concerns grace and the gentiles. We understand this through the idea that Jesus came for everyones sin, so therefore his account and thereafter must be for everyone.

Rape is ugly. Yes it is. In Deuteronomy, the law says :"But if in the field the man finds the girl who is engaged, and the man forces her and lies with her, then only the man who lies with her shall die. "But you shall do nothing to the girl; there is no sin in the girl worthy of death, for just as a man rises against his neighbor and murders him, so is this case. "When he found her in the field, the engaged girl cried out, but there was no one to save her," Deuteronomy 22: 35-28.

The law is clear - the victim faces no penalty - the rapist dies. Rapists slay lives and souls, not people. thus, their victims often live a broken life.

So I didn't cherry pick you. I hope I got your stuff.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
To all you confused folks out there who see contradictions among the four gospels, it might interest you to know that Christians have debated this issue for centuries themselves. A "harmony of the gospels" has emerged, in which most (or all) apparent contradictions have been demonstrated to be just that - apparent, not real. One author went so far as to publish all four together, combined as a single narrative. It is titled, if I recall correctly, "The Gospel of History."

If you find apparent contradictions, I posit that it is because the scales have not fallen from your eyes, so that you do not yet have the ability to see what you are looking at - in the spiritual sense. I was there once, myself.

In answer to MagoSA, the Earth does indeed have four corners. The earth is not a sphere, but a VERY rounded tetrahedron. At the four points of the tetrahedron, the Earth is generally higher than at other points, but it is so slight, that it is easy to miss. I have the documentation somewhere, listing where the four points/corners are.

edit on 22-3-2011 by Lazarus Short because: more to say

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Yet another question..... if all living things are equal in gods eyes, do animals go to heaven too? including dinosaurs, and also plants as they are also living. If they do, how is it possible to spread the word of god to animals? and how is it possible to choose if they are worthy of a place in heaven or not? surely if he created everything to be equal he did a bad job of it as some things cannot stand up to humans and question us as to wether we are right in our way of thinking (eg religions) or not. If believing in, and living by the rules of a god of any sort is supposed to be a way of ensuring your passage to heaven( lets be honest, thats the main part of it) how can any other living creature get a fair shot at it?

Your premise is flawed. All living things are NOT equal in God's eyes. Heck, all humans are not equal, not in the least. This is why I said God is a racist according to the modern day term. Read Noah's curses on Ham found in Gen 9

Why would you think all things were equal? The brotherhood of man, and fatherhood of God is a false cult teaching.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Yet another question..... if all living things are equal in gods eyes, do animals go to heaven too? including dinosaurs, and also plants as they are also living. If they do, how is it possible to spread the word of god to animals? and how is it possible to choose if they are worthy of a place in heaven or not? surely if he created everything to be equal he did a bad job of it as some things cannot stand up to humans and question us as to wether we are right in our way of thinking (eg religions) or not. If believing in, and living by the rules of a god of any sort is supposed to be a way of ensuring your passage to heaven( lets be honest, thats the main part of it) how can any other living creature get a fair shot at it?

Your premise is flawed. All living things are NOT equal in God's eyes. Heck, all humans are not equal, not in the least. This is why I said God is a racist according to the modern day term. Read Noah's curses on Ham found in Gen 9

Why would you think all things were equal? The brotherhood of man, and fatherhood of God is a false cult teaching.

what about (Romans 2:11) " For there is no partiality with God.'

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Does the sun not shine on jew and gentile, on sinner and saint, on man and woman just the same? Do the rains not wet the head of all man who stand under them?

edit on 22-3-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagoSA
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

The reason why this user's answers will be unfruitful is because of an error in his/her base theology.

The KJV is NOT the authoritative Bible. The dialect of English used in the KJV was a very obscure court dialect spoken by King James I and not a well known way of talking. It would be like reading the transciption of a conversation between two rural Maine speakers written by someone who didn't know how to to spell. Orthography dadn't been fixed completely in the Jacobean Era, as can be evidenced by direct trascriptions of John Donne, Christopher Marlow, and Will Shakespeare (that hack LOL).

I can speak to this as I am a lit major, with a degree in medieval and renaissance literature.

As a Christian and a liberal (its possible - shock and awe) I can attest to the idea of fundamentalism as flawed from the root. Inerrancy in a Bible that has been copied and modified by man is obviously tomfoolery at best and blind obsequience at worst. the idea of fundamentalism was a Luddite-style response to changing times and progressions of thought outside of what had been originally explored in regular theology. Go look it up - it originated in a set of tracts from the Bible Institute of Los Angeles called The Fundamentals: A Testimony To The Truth.

I'll grant that I share that God gave man his word - I also know the nature of man is craven, seeking to bend the world to his will, so man put spin, he put interpretation and modified what was the recorded Truth... and created the problems you see.

Let's face it. If you are "christian"... I rebuke you for failing to look first to the words of Jesus, God in human form, and not taking His teachings as your first, primary material for which to base your life. Forget Paul, forget two thousand years of what you were taught and THINK you know, and read Jesus' words first. Those should be who you should listen to.

"I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him" John 14: 6-7

Your a pretty poor Lit. teacher if you don't know how the Bible was really wrote. The Kings English you speak of as common was the height of the elizabethan language. This was the purest form of speech around at the time

In contrast, the Greek portions of the Bible were written in Koine Greek, which WAS the common everyday language of the time. You got your languages missed up.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

Can God make an object so heavy he is unable to lift it?
I know this sounds like an odd question, but if you (or anyone) could please answer this I would appreciate it. Thanks
edit on 22-3-2011 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

To get the "be in the world but not of the world thing....
From Matthew 4: 8-10
Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world, and their glory; and he said to Him, "All these things will I give You, if You fall down and worship me." Then Jesus said to him, "Begone, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God, and serve Him only.'" Then the devil left Him; and behold, angels came and began to minister to Him.

Satan can tempt with all sorts of things, in this case, temporal power.
Three things should strike you as interesting:
1. why would Jesus be tempted with power if he can turn stone to bread?
2. why would Jesus be tempted with power if he is God?
3. why does Satan have the authority to offer these things?

The short answer is that Satan has dominion over the world. He is able to influence it to serve his needs and to thwart whatever God is working. It does ultimately fail, but not without cost. so, he can offer immediate power to someone because its in his sphere of influence and authority, as we are a broken, imperfect world.

Jesus however was not tempted because it will all be His anyway, at the end. So..

this is why Christians are reminded to be in the world but not of it. If we are in it, as we are alive, then we are subject to temptation. If we are of the world, then we are under Satan's authority. As redeemed souls, we are removed by grace to be under God.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

This is like schrodinger's cat. its a theoretical statement. Its not substantiated in the Bible, so thus hard to answer.

That would be like learning to kick yourself in the rear. Its theoretically possible, but why would you?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
reply to post by KJV1611

"hell firing"? You surely meant "hellfire."

Don't correct my spelling error...really? This is shallow, I will have hundreds of spelling errors before this is done

"pro Israel" Are you saying true Israel, the tribe of Judah, only or the Jews? In light of Revelation 2:9 and 3:9, how do you justify your support of the Jews? Have you fundies not made them into an idol?? Explain.

There are good Jews and bad jews...what else is new? And I don't need to explain, once again, why I am pro Israel. Genesis 12:3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

BTW, I took a look at both Genesis and Jasher - Sarai/Sarah is not tagged as Abram/Abraham's sister. The sister idea is based on Abraham's lie to Pharaoh, is it not? Explain.

Genesis 20:12
"12 And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife"

She was the daughter of his own dad. Sister. Although different moms.

It is only fair to tell you that I am a "Kingdom Identity" believer. However, as I type this I am wearing a tee-shirt with "Gashland Baptist Church" on the back. The front reads, "The Church Has Left the Building."

Hebrews 10:25
"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. "

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

beg to differ. King James I, was originally King James of Scotland before ascending the throne to unite the kingdoms of england and scotland.

pfft. even in the time period previous of King James' acension, no one spoke English in Scotland of note. His court was known for having a difficult dialect of Middle Scots. he was also a stanch Scots advocate, penning Ane Schort Treatise conteining some Reulis and Cautelis to be observit and eschewit in Scottis poesie when he was 19... and this was what the KJV was written in, his native Court dialect. The KJV was not intended to be used outside of the Church of England, as it was written to reflect Anglican ecclesiology and structure.

My sources for this include David daiches who wrote "The King James Version of the English Bible: An Account of the Development and Sources of the English Bible of 1611 With Special Reference to the Hebrew Tradition."

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by KJV1611

I have read them.

That is the point. Each one is quite different in describing the same event. One event.

To tell us that four different writers wrote four different versions, well that's pretty much telling us that we are reading mans word, not Gods.

Is the Bible Gods word? If so, which one of the Gospels got that one simple event right? Then what about the other three? That would make Gods word wrong? Wouldn't it?

You don't get it yet huh? You know, each Gospel can record what the writer was aware of at the time. This is the reason for four accounts so we could have the whole picture. Add them all together and you get the full account, understood? What makes this amazing, is all four accounts agree and never contradict each other. The same goes for the whole Bible in general. Why do you think Exodus, Leviticus, Deut., and numbers repeat so much information. Same for Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

MATTHEW 7
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a ROCK:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a ROCK.

Do you do the sayings of Christ?

Have you eliminated from your mind all things which cause offence?
Have you given all your earthly wealth to the poor and taught the Kingdom of Heaven?
Have you refused to judge others?
Have you opened your heart up to loving all?
Have you visited those in prison, gave water to all who thirst, clothed those who are naked?
Have you taught the blind to see?
Have you healed the sick?
Have you done all these things in Christ's name?

Can you recognise one who has?

Do you hear the voice of the lamb?

Do you know who I AM?

Where in the world did you come up with this lovey dovey stuff? This is not the teachings of the Bible. Possibly a new age version of the bible...but not the Authorized Version. Why should I cure the blind or sick? Or hear a lambs voice? And I am commanded to judge my friend, myself first then others, so as to not have a beam in my eye. If we don't judge each other, then you have anarchy.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join