It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple under fire for 'gay conversion' app

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by King_John

The difference is that society is fine with two consenting adults... The other forms you speak of are actually conditioned issues... But more than that, they include a victim.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I said attraction, not act!!!! Consenting adults has absolutely nothing to do with attraction.
CASE A: 1 male figure is attracted to only prepubescent girls. He can only be aroused by them
CASE B: 1 male figure is attracted to only other men. He can only be aroused by them
CASE C: 1 male figure is attracted to only dogs and horses. He can only be aroused by them.
Attraction, not the action.
Of course having sex with a prepubescent girl is illegal and wrong as is sex with animals, but what's the difference between their attractions? Can people be gay and not adults?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I love how debates on homosexuality always get to the point of comparing it with pedophilia and beastiality based compleetly on attraction. Yes, all three situations are because of an attraction to something else that can not be controlled. The main problem is that pedophilia and beatiality are not between two consenting adults (or more depending on what you are sexually in to) An animal has no voice and therefore can not agree to anything and a child does not have the maturity to agree to anything in that aspect. that makes them all completely different situations.
Everything else aside, homosexuality hurts no one. If you'd like to use the bible as your only reason for bashing it then even then it's not hurting you, just them if you think it's that wrong. Living by the bible you shouldn't even be debating it as it shows you're judging the people partaking in it.
Lucky for me I don't live by the christian bible so I can judge you and make the assessment that you've been brainwashed and are full of hate for that which you don't understand from a logical standpoint. Good for you sir/madame, good for you.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Not really they don't absolutely have a victim. A 15 year old girl is fully a woman physically and fully capable of giving consent. The statutory rape laws were developed as an effort to prevent teenage pregnancy, not because of immorality. Until a few decades ago girls were married at 12.
As far as animals go I would imagine that if a dog does not want you having sex with it then you will not unless forcefully and then it will probably get ugly. Consent is not a factor in this argument.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

The difference is that society is fine with two consenting adults... The other forms you speak of are actually conditioned issues... But more than that, they include a victim.

That's not my point, yes the acts of pedophilia and bestiality are worse than gay sex, but the attraction is not, but yet most people would say that a person who's a pedophile or zoophile should seek psychiatric help, even though there attraction is no more a choice than homosexuality.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Victim is a subjective term in society... a 15 yo is not seen to have the ability to consent within the western world

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by omegastar2007

I love how debates about homosexuality end up with people implying that all homosexuals are consenting adults

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Yes because they would need help dealing with a society that doesn't abide sexual acts where there is a victim.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I'm not arguing that the sexual acts of homosexuals, pedophiles, and zoophiles are equal, but it's no more a choice than homosexuality, so if somebody believes pedophilia and bestiality are curable with therapy, then why not homosexuality?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Consent is not a factor in this argument.

But informed consent is. Society believes that to give an informed consent, some mental maturity is needed, and animals, children, or even some mentally ill people do not posess this maturity.
edit on 22/3/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice

I love how debates about homosexuality end up with people implying that all homosexuals are consenting adults

Neither are heterosexual activity...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

But yet she can consent to an abortion without her parents knowledge. She can consent to hormone therapy to change sexes without her parents knowledge. Weird that she can consent to drastic surgery and hormone therapy but not to sex. Weird

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

And like a lot of people have argued, pedofiles and people engaging in beastiality create a victim, homosexuality does not. If homosexuality had the potential to create a victim then yes, I'd say send them to a therapist as well but it doesn't. If it does create a victim then it's rape. I'm not saying any uncontrollable attraction is wrong but the actions are and the majority of people do eventually act on their attractions.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Homosexual relations: Consenting adults.

Paedophilia: A person abusing a non-consenting child.

Beastiality: A person performing sexual acts on a non-consenting animal.

There's the difference.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Still reaching. You people keep saying the difference between homosexuality and pedophilia and zoophilia is consenting adults. Are you telling me that all gays and lesbians are consenting adults?

link   

Yes, but therapy would work no better to "cure" their condition than this app would help "cure" gays of homosexuality.

link   

But yet she can consent to an abortion without her parents knowledge. She can consent to hormone therapy to change sexes without her parents knowledge. Weird that she can consent to drastic surgery and hormone therapy but not to sex. Weird

Yes, it is weird. You can kill for your country, but you cannot drink beer. These laws are inconsistent, and should probably be reformed.

link   

Are you advocating that we reduce the consenting age for sex? Weird.

link   
This thread has been a highly entertaining read, with some fantastically unsubstantiated claims and a level of argument that has at times dipped below that found in a playground.

I would primarily like to thank all the contributors to this thread, especially those who felt that being rude and opinionated is equal to factual, reasoned argument, You know who you are, and you know you make the internet the great place it is.

Whilst this debate is not unique in any way - it appears in one form or another any time any sort of sexuality that deviates from the heterosexual monogamy is discussed - it does again bring to mind some questions.

Principally it is about the use some people have of Christianity as a trump card of moral ascendancy. Surely, you follow a god of infinite mercy and forgiveness, who's principal tenets are the equality and brotherhood of all men? Does this really mean that >you< are your lord's agent, granted the right of judgement in his stead?

Corinthians 4:1-21 "Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart."
Seems pretty darned clear to me.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

And all hetrosexuals, they are consenting adults????? CV, the poor horse is dead, stop beating it. If your morals and beliefs mean you cannot accept homosexuality, then that is your right, I respect that. That is not the belief of all Christians, though for all I know it is of the particular denomination you belong to.

Are you aware that the Church of England has gay vicars? No program to convert them that I'm aware of. That is part of the Christian faith, not that I belong to that denomination but I think it is a refreshing approach.
edit on 22-3-2011 by something wicked because: typo

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join