It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Much More Can Louisiana TAKE?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Louisiana has been struggling to recuperate from hurricane Katrina (still after all this time).....then we had the BP thing....and now there are reports that there is a 100 mile oil sheen not far from the Macondo well which is expanding (which means it is gushing from somewhere)....they think it may be the Matterhorn rig. The info is just coming out, so I hope it turns out better than it sounds. Our economy can not take another hit! If this turns out to be true, it is very scary....because I honestly don't know if this area can take it again. When I find out anything on this, I'll post it....and if you find anything, please share it. I am really upset about all this. I love this area, and it is killing me to see it ravaged this way. Let's hope it is a false alarm. I used to love swimming in the Gulf, and I love seafood, and now....I won't get near them. The people who say the seafood is safe are straight up LYING. I saw fish that were caught by a friend last weekend....they had oil in their gills! The shrimp have oil in their veins...here is what I found so far and here is the source....hisz.rsoe.hu...

The US Coast Guard is currently investigating reports of a potentially massive oil sheen 20 miles north of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion from last April. According to Paul Barnard, operations controller for the USCG in Louisiana, a helicopter crew has been dispatched to the site of the Matterhorn SeaStar oil rig, owned by W&T Offshore, Inc. Multiple reports have come in of a sheen nearly 100 miles long and 12 miles wide originating near the site. Independent pilots, including John Wathen of the Waterkeeper Alliance, and Bonnie Schumaker with Wings of Care, are currently flying out to investigate the spill. Schumaker reports having seen the sheen on Friday, March 18, and confirms that it is rapidly expanding. A Louisiana fisherman, who has chosen to remain anonymous at this time, also reports fresh oil coming ashore near South Pass, LA, and that cleanup crews are laying new boom near the beach. The origination point of the sheen, near Mississippi Canyon 243, lies 30 miles southeast of the Louisiana coastline, and extends to Barataria Bay. The Matterhorn oil field, at a depth of 2,789 feet (850 meters) of water, was discovered in 1999, leased and permitted in July 2001, and came into production in November 2003. According to W&T, the field has produced an average rate of 5,200 barrels of oil per day, and has production capacities of 35,000 barrels of oil per day.

edit on 21-3-2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Have you seen the lie they are using right now to cover this up? They say they just tested it and it sediment from the Mississippi river....lol.....Give peeps a break.....

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla — The Coast Guard said on Sunday that miles-long patch of discolored goop floating in the Gulf of Mexico appears to be caused by river sediment.

Are people really this dumb? Will anyone really believe this? I guess a few will as they believe everything the government tells them.."Come on down for vacation. The beaches and water is just fine...Oil spill??? What oil spill?? O' you mean that little leak we had a few yrs back..Thats been cleaned up...All is back to normal now...We'll leave the lights on for you !!!
edit on 21-3-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
of course an
Unidentified Floating Object
would be swamp gas

hope this turns out to be nothing
but with the low score the truth has these days...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

Yes.....exactly! If the reports are correct, it's expanding, and that would indicate it is flowing. I just hope it's wrong. My good friend just had to close his restaurant and his seafood store.....people don't want seafood, and I can't blame them. Those who thought they would get compensation, got a slap in the face instead.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The Coast Guard and a parish spokeswoman said they had mobilized oil-spill-response equipment and the Coast Guard had hired a contractor to lay containment booms in hopes of stopping the substance from penetrating inland waters and ecologically sensitive shorelines.

Photos taken by Jefferson Parish officials show globs of reddish matter coming ashore on Elmer's Island, a state wildlife sanctuary, that looks very similar to what washed onto northern Gulf beaches during last summer's oil spill.

online.wsj.com...

Just another day on the beach......

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I know.....roll out the BS machine again
I just shudder to think what will happen if it is another big "spill" (I want to laugh when I see the word "spill....you "spill" coffee) We lost a large chunk of population to Hurricane Katrina.....people who evacuated and never came back....then more people moved at the height of the BP disaster.....I really don't think they will come back....that is what I mean when I ask if Louisiana can take it again...I'm not too sure.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Hi Clouds....thanks for the post. Can you belive this? I am going to see what I can find out...and then post it here. I KNEW you would be all over this! ((big hug))

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I hope it turns out to be nothing. The gulf has had enough bad luck.
Keep a positive attitude.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by epicfail

I hope so too.....I'll try to stay positive
I found this though....before you listen to the big media reports....I think it's important to hear the reports coming from local people observing it first hand. Here is an account from a pilot who lives here, describing what he saw.

bpoilslick.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Hi Kat glad you started a new post...We have to keep the BP thread alive! There
is so much going on in the Gulf & now we have other serious issues diverting
attention away from the Gulf Horrors!
I think it's so strange how one area can be hit with SO many disasters in such a short time.
I couldn't believe the BP disaster happening after Katrina... & Japan with 4 different
disasters at the same time. Makes you wonder if they were planned because it sure doesn't seem normal!

Ektar

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Wonder if DD3 left because of the new reports of oil
possibly coming from near the area & they did NOT want any attention drawn to the fact
that they were still there? It will be interesting to see if they return...I will still be checking.
Discoverenterprise was in location until 7 March....Virginia Responder & C Fighter were
also there up until ~ 12 March....
Here's an earlier entry 10 Dec 2010 7:45pm EST DE, DD3, & Virginia Responder at MC 252...
I have more.

Ektar

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Thanks Ektar....please keep checking and I will too. There is NO reason for a drilling rig to be at a CLOSED well almost 6 months after it was capped!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Once the well was supposedly capped
& BP stopped showing ROV footage, I figured the only other option to continue
monitoring them was the Ship Locations. I will have to go back through my notes re
the expense of having 2 Driller Rigs (at one point there were 4!) on location...
but I think it was ~ $1,500,000 per day per ship...that's a TON of money.

So if the well or wells were capped & everything is fine, why in the Hell would a Drilling Rig or 2 or ? be sitting on top of the Well if NOTHING is going on?

At first I thought monitoring, don't need a Drilling Rig for that...then you have the Virginia Responder
environmental...then due to the longevity of the "Big Boys" made many questions come to mind...
Is everything still as messed up due to well still leaking?
Sea Floor was badly fractured & grouting has failed?
Who is going to walk away from a $$$$$ Pit? Not BP! So this made me even ponder the possibility
they may be "Tapping the Well"!!
Can't think of a good reason for them to have the $$$$$ Ships just sitting there, can you?

Ektar

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I agree....I have always thought that the reason they drilled 2 relief wells was so that they could just have another avenue to tap that well. That well was a honey hole.....vast amounts of oil there....which was the reason they were there to begin with. Like you said, they would not just walk away if they thought there was still a way to get that oil! Thank you so much for all you do Ektar....I really appreciate all your effort....especially when you aren't even from the area. It's people like you that make a difference. All this has been pretty much forgotten by most, but that's what they counted on. It is still a problem, and yes, with no rovs there now....we are literally in the dark. There are still things going on......I look forward to seeing what you have on it. Big companies do not spend the kind of money it takes to stay there for no reason!

top topics

join