It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone recomend a good sci fi or sci fi/horror film I haven't seen?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Im looking for either a good sci fi film or sci fi gorror film to watch. I havent seen loads, but have seen most of the mainstream ones everyone talks about and after watching Alien then event horizon again for what felt like the millionth time (even tho they are both great) I started looking for some others but I could only find 'top tens' of the same old movies that everyones already seen.

So can anyone list any good films in this genre that I probably havent heard of? Sorry I know its hard to know what I havent seen, but I duno what else to say!

Thanx

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
One I would recommend is Moon from 2009. Saw it via Netflix streaming in December.

Moon

I didn't think I would like it, but I was bored in a hospital room & figured at the least it would put me to sleep. I stayed up and watched it til the end!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

I have a suggestion: I was just watching this video from 9Nania about the film 2012 - perhaps after watching this video you might want to watch or re-watch this film.

style="height: 390px; width: 640px"> "http://www.youtube.com/v/NQmWZH1rfu0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390">

Personally, I am not sure what to make of what 9Nania just put together in this video, but I feel there is a level of truth to what she is perceiving.

Perhaps watching or re-watching the film 2012 might be a sci-film film experience that would interest you.

your PlanetarySister

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 1PlanetarySister

Here's the link - www.youtube.com.../u/0/NQmWZH1rfu0

Sorry, I was trying to upload the youtube vid and failed...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
If you can find it...

In The Mouth Of Madness...

www.imdb.com...

Awesome movie, one of my old favs

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
have you seen the cube?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Watch Dark City if you haven't seen it, it's pretty awesome. You'll also notice lot's of similarities between it and Inception, it pre-dates the Matrix by a year too. The Thing is also awesome but I imagine you will have seen that. Moon with Sam Rockwell is another great movie.

Oops someone beat me to the Moon!

Check out Casshern if you haven't seen it! It's amazing on a big TV.
edit on 21-3-2011 by Big Raging Loner because: To add Kudos.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Event horizon is good

Also

Starship Troopers

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Some oldies I like are Forbidden Planet, Silent Running, Black Hole, and Logan's Run.

Some new ones are Children Of Men, The Postman (I liked it), Mutant Chronicles, and Equilibrium.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I tried to download dark city the other day but couldn't without really knowing anything about it but I will try again. I saw moon, I really liked it in the end, found it very sad though unusually for me. Perhaps because of the total lonelyness of the guy. There are more and more of these kinds films coming out but not what im looking for. I might find someone and start writing a screenplay or something.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Sunshine... one of the best sci-fi / horror movies i've seen in quite some time...
www.imdb.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'll second Event Horizon. An underrated sci-fi horror. Good stuff. Also features one of my favorite Larry Fishburne lines of all time.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

one of my favorite movies. just got a copy few days ago. it's really hard to get an uncut copy here in germany. It was ridiculously expensive but finnaly it's mine

on topic: you might wanna watch Kingdom Hospital. It's a series but really, really good.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Well, not knowing what you've already seen.. here goes!

The Thing From Another World - original 1951 version, not the snot-fest remake with Beau Bridges in it.

The Shape Of Things To Come, 1936 (written by HG Wells in 1933) and much better than Metropolis.

Believe it or not: Robinson Crusoe On Mars (1964) Cheesy title, excellent movie.

I'll post more as I think of them.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Equilibrium or The Machinist. Both with Christian Bale. Your best bet is just to crack a book. I would suggest anything by Gene Wolfe. Have fun.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by schitzoandro

Agreed. Totally surprised to have enjoyed it so much but I agree. Sunshine is really good. And it adds a whole new dimension to the Pink Floyd song, Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Moon was really good.

Sam Rockwell (the star in Moon) is also GREAT in "Galaxy Quest", a really fun homage to the Star Trek fan phenomenon. Features Sigourney Weaver showing serious cleavage!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by inthemass

Starship troopers is ok, but it is NOTHING like the Heinlein book.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
My two were already mentioned but for emphasis I have to say that Moon is much better than I thought and Sunshine was just awesome.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
You could always Youtube search NASA moon landings and their general space exploration and THEORIES in their documentaries. There's nothing more surreal than watching crappy sci-fi NASA stuff. True science fiction right from the source.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join