It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Touchdown: B-2 stealth jets return after epic 11,500 mile journey to bomb Libyan aircraft shelters

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
LMFAO Heroes? No, the men at the Fukushima nuclear plant are heroes. The citizens of Japan displaying what humanity should look at the face of horroe are heroes. Those are such acts that constitute one as a hero. Not these mindless drones.

America hasn't fought a just war since ww2. I still can't believe people get all firey at this jargon.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Then why don't you guys try to do that crap you pulled in Iraq over here in the EU. If you guys are so strong, then the EU should be your playground. Why don't you do it? Oh I see! NO INTEREST RIGHT!? NO OIL!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
wow it is so awesome to read the posts in this thread made by couch commandos whom have no idea what the price of liberty and freedom is, these military men are following orders and my hat is off to them good luck boys!

as far as the rest of you lazy,UN-patriotic pieces of crap i really hope you never need the military to come save you.....but you know what even after the crap you talk about them if you ever did need them they would still help your worthless asses because thats their job!

also for the record the innocent people were being killed before this started thats why were bombing them....idiots

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

No doubt that it does wreak an emotional toll. I am not discounting their efforts or their emotional struggles. The wield an awesome power, and I'm sure it is difficult. BTW, I have been to flight school (civilian), and I do have friends that fly military craft.

I am just saying this action is not "heroic." It is a routine mission, they are never in danger, they never see the dying whimpers and gurgles of their targets, and they are not abandoning their families for months and years at a time. Compare their action to the action of the spec op guys down their painting targets for them, hasn't been home in a couple of years, and had to kill the guards with their bare hands to maintain stealth, and then hold steady while those 2000lb bombs dropped from the stratosphere to within a few hundred yards of their location, and then had to extract themselves back to safety in a war torn area, just to do it all over again next week!

Big difference between that guy, and the guy in the cockpit!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

Then why don't you guys try to do that crap you pulled in Iraq over here in the EU. If you guys are so strong, then the EU should be your playground. Why don't you do it? Oh I see! NO INTEREST RIGHT!? NO OIL!

Yep. No oil and in addition, we dont like the EU's Bad food, Small houses, roads, cars, hairy women and several other things
Just kidding.

EU nations are mostly allied with US and they have been working together since WWII for its own security and national interests.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
These are nothing more than symbolic missions.

I mean, after a night of 110+ Tomahawks raining down, plus however many other bombs and missiles from European ships, subs and aircraft, the need for stealth bombers was most likely non existent.

Guess they need to fly those buggers though to keep the cost somehow justified.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Ill give ya that. Huge difference between ground forces and air support. But, each man makes his own choice. The guy on the ground made that choice. Same as the guy behind the stick. So with your logic, because of each persons choice with the military, dictates who is a hero and who is not? The man behind the stick will be judged because of that choice? That doesn't sound like " sound " logic Getready?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

No problem. I am not saying we "should" do it, and I wish we would bring 99% of our military back home, but I can say without a doubt that the EU would be a cakewalk. Our 3 biggest allies in the EU.....GB, France, and Germany, don't have any of the stealth we have, they don't have any of the combat experience we have, and they wouldn't last a week in an all out war. Love you guys, hope it never comes to that, but let's not pretend it would be any type of military challenge.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
These are nothing more than symbolic missions.

I mean, after a night of 110+ Tomahawks raining down, plus however many other bombs and missiles from European ships, subs and aircraft, the need for stealth bombers was most likely non existent.

Guess they need to fly those buggers though to keep the cost somehow justified.

You got it. Everything adds up. Multiple objectives met with 1 mission

2nd line.

link   
Lol, just a few days ago almost everyone on ATS was loving this NFZ stuff

You guys fell for the same propaganda, that you laugh at the "sheeple" for falling for during the Bush wars.

Ah, and now you guys criticise the soldiers for following orders, for doing something that a lot of you wanted. I guess ATS didn't think war was serious business. :/
edit on 21-3-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

link   
While everyone is getting all worked up on here just remember one thing. This war is about oil. It's not about Ghaddafi, never was. Ghaddafi is just the poster boy they use to justify the war. You can believe that one of the Rebel leaders has worked out some kind of a deal for oil exports in trade for help from U.S., France, and U.K. Meaning once Ghaddafi is ousted and one of the rebel's will be put in power they will play better ball with the west. This is the real reason this is going on right now.

Now, as far as troops not looking heroic enough because they are bombing from the sky's, sure, they may not have back in the early centuries of mankind. But the truth is, we have those weapons, they work, they save our troops lives and usually don't cause as much trouble or damage that a large force of ground troops and tanks and other vehicles would. So it's the wiser decision to use such weapons. There maybe collateral damage, innocents killed, but usually not on purpose. It is a sad fact of war.

But, the truth of the matter is, no matter how mad you may get at some of things the current super powers do, always remember, it could be worse. What if Iran, North Korea, Libya, or any others were in our position? What if we were the weak ones? Would they not do the same if not worse to us? A lot of Chinese citizens are already talking about exterminating America for our land and resources because there population is so large and there living space so small. This is only coming about now because China one day will be the new super power like America once was still is today. So, when that day comes and if the Chinese DO decide to Attack America and invade, will you as a citizien of the U.S. welcome them with open arms? Will you still want to see the U.S. fight a "tougher" opponent then?

The ugly truth of the matter is we are ALL addicted to oil and depend on it way to much. There's only so much left. The things the U.S. is doing now to make sure we get plenty of it will look like child's play compared to the day we all wake up and hear the reports on the news that oil has run out. There will be killing and maming in the streets. Nuclear war against the countries trying to use or take possession of the last little bit left.

The sad fact of the matter is, if WE weren't doing this, other countries would. Do you really think if other countries had the means like we do, that they would just sit by and let their country dwindle? War has always been fought for resources and land because of ever expanding nations and civilizations. The U.S. is not the first nor the last War Master. It will always be a fact of reality until the day the world is united. It will probably never be united, the only thing that will unite it will be because of one civilization wiping out everyone else.

There is a lot of ugly things involved in war, a lot of sad facts of life. Hard to justify many of them. But when you peel away all the layers, the hard ugly truth is, it usually is necessary for the civilizations involved. Many of you may not agree with that, but seriously think about it. If it's not us, it WILL be someone else doing it to us, or to whom ever THEY need to survive. It has always gone on, and always will.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
heroes. oi...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

In my opinion, "hero" is a much overused term. A hero dives on a grenade to save a platoon, or rushes into a burning building to save a child, or takes a bullet for a president or his wife. Heroes are not just guys doing their jobs. Not every fireman/cop/soldier is a hero. In my example, neither guy is really a hero. The guy on the ground has more opportunity to be a hero, but only his own actions will tell the true story.

In my opinion nobody can ever be a hero if they set out to be one, or if they are simply following protocol and get good results. The only way to be a true hero is to find yourself in a life and death struggle and taking extraordinary actions to save someone else even if it puts you in grave danger.
edit on 21-3-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Everyone is weak compared to the US Air Force.

Yeah but if these guys tried something similar against Russia or China they'd know that there would be a good chance that their homes and families would have disappeared in a nuclear fireball while they were still in the air.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Jepic

No problem. I am not saying we "should" do it, and I wish we would bring 99% of our military back home, but I can say without a doubt that the EU would be a cakewalk. Our 3 biggest allies in the EU.....GB, France, and Germany, don't have any of the stealth we have, they don't have any of the combat experience we have, and they wouldn't last a week in an all out war. Love you guys, hope it never comes to that, but let's not pretend it would be any type of military challenge.
Moreover they (EU) can start one but they surely wouldn't be able to sustain one past few weeks due to Logistics.
WAR that is

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by starviego

Everyone is weak compared to the US Air Force.

Yeah but if these guys tried something similar against Russia or China they'd know that there would be a good chance that their homes and families would have disappeared in a nuclear fireball while they were still in the air.
Which guys are you talking about ? US ? If YES then the opposite will be same. That is why they will never face each other as they know that they will annhilate each other and the world due to the Nukes. Thats why there are proxy and small scale wars. Thats why they do not provoke each other if you noticed but all we see is chest thumping,finger pointing and ranting by PM or Presidents at times from China or Russia.
edit on 21-3-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Look at the diagram in the article.

"SPECIAL FORCES:
Two "Smash teams" of up to eight SAS soldiers identify targets for bombers using laser guidance systems. They have been in Libya for three weeks."

Gee, looks like the coalition planned to conduct this assault regardless of UN approval or not

Hmmm, makes you wonder about those incidents roughly three weeks ago that included an SAS team supposedly flying their citizens out of Libya, or when Libyan soldiers detained supposed SAS soldiers (referred to as diplomats in Western media).
edit on 21-3-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Yep. No oil and in addition, we dont like the EU's Bad food, Small houses, roads, cars, hairy women and several other things Just kidding.

WOW!
I'm mind blown at your ignorance right now.

Bad food? Do you have any idea how much variety of food there is in europe, compared to what? McDonalds? KFC?

Small houses? What are you even talking about? Please go to the countryside in england or germany and you will see mansions bigger than most "houses" in the US.
Roads?
You will never see A CRACK in any highway or road here in Europe. I haven't seen a single highway in the US without the cracks .
Cars? Now that I do agree! Cars look cooler in the US, but they look more refined here.
Hairy women? Hairy women? Seriously? What the hell does that even mean. You realise all the white women from the US come from Europe right? If anything your native americans are the hairy ones.
And I'm not kidding...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

The B-2s may have to hit him again if he starts using all that mustard gas he has stockpiled.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by J.Son79
While everyone is getting all worked up on here just remember one thing. This war is about oil. It's not about Ghaddafi, never was. Ghaddafi is just the poster boy they use to justify the war. The ugly truth of the matter is we are ALL addicted to oil and depend on it way to much. There's only so much left. The things the U.S. is doing now to make sure we get plenty of it will look like child's play compared to the day we all wake up and hear the reports on the news that oil has run out. There will be killing and maming in the streets. Nuclear war against the countries trying to use or take possession of the last little bit left.

The sad fact of the matter is, if WE weren't doing this, other countries would. Do you really think if other countries had the means like we do, that they would just sit by and let their country dwindle? War has always been fought for resources and land because of ever expanding nations and civilizations. The U.S. is not the first nor the last War Master. It will always be a fact of reality until the day the world is united. It will probably never be united, the only thing that will unite it will be because of one civilization wiping out everyone else.

There is a lot of ugly things involved in war, a lot of sad facts of life. Hard to justify many of them. But when you peel away all the layers, the hard ugly truth is, it usually is necessary for the civilizations involved. Many of you may not agree with that, but seriously think about it. If it's not us, it WILL be someone else doing it to us, or to whom ever THEY need to survive. It has always gone on, and always will.

Amen. Nicely put.

Many people do not realize and do not look at themselves and ask the question if they are contrubuting a tiny percenrage to the cause of such Actions? They dont. They would continue to drive their gas guzzling or fuel efficient cars and be able to maintain their wealth and status while not realizing that everything comes at a price. Nobody is willing to say that I'll use a bicycle or a public transportation and give up automobile. Even though there are alternative transportation technologies, people continue to enjoy the gasoline/petroleum based vehicles.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join