It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: GAO Reports War Funds Almost Gone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Even though $65 billion was given towards the war effort, the military is looking for $12.3 billion more to last through the rest of the fiscal year.

www.msnbc.msn.com
The report from the Government Accountability Office, Congress's independent investigative arm, warned that the budget crunch is having an adverse impact on the military as it shifts resources to Iraq and away from training and maintenance in other parts of the world. The study -- the most detailed examination to date of the military's funding problems -- appears to contradict White House assurances that the services have enough money to get through the calendar year.

Already, the GAO said, the services have deferred the repair of equipment used in Iraq, grounded some Air Force and Navy pilots, canceled training exercises, and delayed facility-restoration projects. The Air Force is straining to cover the cost of body armor for airmen in combat areas, night-vision gear and surveillance equipment, according to the report.

The Army, which is overspending its budget by $10.2 billion for operations and maintenance, is asking the Marines and the Air Force to help cover the escalating costs of its logistics contract with Halliburton Co. But the Air Force is also exceeding its budget by $1.4 billion, while the Marines are coming up $500 million short. The Army is even having trouble paying the contractors guarding its garrisons outside the war zones, the report said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The story goes on to say that the Pentagon said the initial $65 billion would work since there would only be 99,000 troops in Iraq by September 30th. Instead, the number is going to be at 138,000 for a good, long while.

The sad part is, there were people that saw this coming, and no one listened to them. The Army War College reported that the cost of the war would be nearly $1.6 trillion dollars, including restoration of Iraq when we're done bombing and killing them.

Anyone remember when we were told $12 billion was going to cover everything?

[edit on 22-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

ME

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The Army, which is overspending its budget by $10.2 billion for operations and maintenance, is asking the Marines and the Air Force to help cover the escalating costs of its logistics contract with Halliburton Co.

??????? . . . .

Halliburton should be funding this war since they will be reaping the benefits.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
"Congress's independent investigative arm, warned that the budget crunch is having an adverse impact on the military as it shifts resources to Iraq and away from training and maintenance in other parts of the world."

And THIS money pit war of choice made me SAFER?

We're supposed to be drawing the terrorists to Iraq with this strategy right? Sounds like they're drawing US to Iraq and can pretty much do what they want anywhere else. Or real rogue nations sure can now.

A North Korean conflict would DESTROY the US now. No if's, ands or butt's about it. Stupid nation building, big government liar Bush.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The other thing that strikes me as funny, Rant, is that I think the reason there won't be a draft is because we can't affrd one. Imagine if our military was double the size it is right now. Talked about being screwed.

I don't love taxes, but making tax cut, then tax cut, then tax cut, then saying, "Let's go fight a war!" isn't good fiscal policy.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by RockerDom
The other thing that strikes me as funny, Rant, is that I think the reason there won't be a draft is because we can't affrd one. Imagine if our military was double the size it is right now. Talked about being screwed.

I don't love taxes, but making tax cut, then tax cut, then tax cut, then saying, "Let's go fight a war!" isn't good fiscal policy.

They already have the money for the draft in the SS budget, it's ready to go. Take a look for yourself.

www.sss.gov...

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
John, the money they are mentioning is to train new troops. What makes things so expensive is logistics, or moving troops, and supplies. IT works like this.

Imagine you are tank commander of an M1. You have 4 others in your tank (I believe this is the right number, forgive me if I hav gotten this wrong.) Each of those men needs food, water, clothes, and other basics. If the 5 of you are going to be in the desert for a year, you need all of that to go with you. Well, all of that goes on the back of a truck which has to travel with your tank group. For that truck to travel with you, it needs a fuel tanker, and for the fuel tanker to go along with you, it needs fuel. Now, multiply that by however many people are in your tank group, plus the tanks themselves, plus repair parts, plus mechanics that can make the repairs, plus medics.

Now double it.

That's the problem the draft brings. That's why we are low on money after so many tax cuts.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
hmmmmmm...the navy must have had a hugh surplus to set out all those carrier groups.....i wonder when they will be asking for $$$$$

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Al Qaeda's not stupid. They are just taking a page out of our history books. How did the U.S. beat Russia in the Cold War?? They spent them into the ground with the Arms Race, basically. I know there are many more factors, however that is the basic one. Even Gorby admitted that one.

However, Osama's costs are probably less than 1% of the U.S. and don't forget that the U.S. gave him $3 Billion to fight the Soviets. You can't tell me they've gone through all of that. So he continues to gain support and the U.S. continues to lose support and bankrupts it's Nation if this turns into a long scale war. The U.S. biggest flaw is it's pride, and it's government isn't willing to admit mistakes in Middle East foreign policy for fear of looking weak in the Middle East.

Al Qaeda will do to the US, what the US did to the Russians.

new topics

top topics

join