It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Internet shut down twice in 1 hr

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Sorry what?

Ok so you get 2 drop outs and its a conspiracy?

Im a PC technician, Its literally my job. I have had to fix this issue a few times today already. I could type some troubleshooting for you to do but after reading your first post and some of the reply's that followed im a bit stunned.

I sugguest a few of you sign out of this site and stay away for a bit, some of you seriously need to "unplug" me thinks.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by S3ns1bl3

Sorry what?

Im a PC technician, Its literally my job. I have had to fix this issue a few times today already. I could type some troubleshooting for you to do but after reading your first post and some of the reply's that followed im a bit stunned.

I sugguest a few of you sign out of this site and stay away for a bit, some of you seriously need to "unplug" me thinks.

Same here

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
My Internet (office service) was shut down at the same time, Im pretty sure it was around 17h40 CET for more or less 5 minutes too, but I dont think it's related.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dfens

Lord knows what an ISP can do in two 5 minute spans.

Lol, we're not talking 1950s wire taps here friend. If the isp decided to monitor him (because of posts on ats? lol that's rich) they surely wouldn't disconnect him. In fact, most things the isp would do are completely transparent to the user.

anyways, from someone with a bit of wifi intrusion experience (both sides) here's some advice:

WPA 2 minimum, nothing below, wep is like writing your password beside your computer. WPA 2 with a long, unique, salted pass phrase. Salted meaning alternate characters (@!*) and no terms in a dictionary, no curse words or common terms. Using a weak password with hacker or txt type isn't gonna cut it either.

Wifi hacking isn't actually hard, here's my example (this is for WEP and to a lesser extent WPA).

Basic HP laptop,
cisco wifi card (anything with Atheros chipset will do)
Backtrack linux

Step 1. Find the network. Using various tools I look at all incoming traffic, turning off SSID broadcast doesn't stop me from seeing you.

Step 2. Find a client on that network and spoof the client (software that changes the MAC hardware address of the wifi card to match that of the legit client)

Step 3. Forge packets from the client to the AP asking for a connection reset. (the legit user shouldn't even notice this, but if it works, the client machine reconnects and authenticates to the server)

Step 4. Capture the authentication handshake from the client to the AP

Step 5. Now that we have a handshake file, we can start working. If the AP has a default SSID it's even easier as there are hash tables already provided.

Now this is where it gets in depth even for me, but basically what is going on is I'm using precompiled tables of SSIDs and passwords, running them against the handshake hash. I then specify a dictionary, basically a file full of words and potential passwords.

With WEP, it's only a matter of time as you get basically everything you need.
With WPA and WPA2 it's a crap shoot, you aren't cracking anything, you are merely bruteforcing the password against the authentication handshake. It's as if you sat at the password screen trying every possible combination.

If the term is in your dictionary, it will eventually decrypt it. If not, a true brute force could take years, or seconds, you never really know.

So in short, always use WPA 2 with a COMPLEX password, as no hacker is going to waste more than 5 minutes trying to crack into your network without a reason.

As well, when you buy a router, or get one assigned from the ISP, I suggest you make the following security changes:

Disable the admin page for the router over WiFi (I can't tell you how many routers I've reset out of the kindness of my heart)
change the admin user and password, leaving admin as a guest with no access or blocked completely
Change the IP (if you can) of the management interface.

the more road blocks you put up the better. MAC based filtering helps, but again, the first step in cracking is spoofing a MAC so it's not fool proof.

and the best advice is get to know your router logs, and the devices on your network, so you can easily spot things that shouldn't be there.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Lol... If it's at an exact time it usualy is just some kind of maintenance. Maybe rebooted the core-routers or renewed your DHCP-lease (if you have one that is). The internet did not shut down, your connection went down for a bit.

Some of you should really go outside more.
edit on 21-3-2011 by snewpers because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
There is an old saying that goes, "If your internet blacks out twice in one day, you'll be the next to black out!!!!"

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dfens
Well, reading many of your posts, if the spooks are monitoring, you might seem to be a good candidate for enhanced surveillance. Not a hit against you, but you post some pretty provocative content.

lmao
dude, if u only knew me personally u'd
laugh ur ar$e off thinking I was a threat
to anything other than a pork chop.
I am old and disabled and have MANY
medical problems. If that is what
passes as a threat these days, then Lord
help us.

And if TPTB want me, all they have to
do is ask, I will gladly turn myself in.
I can't run. But I do hope they have
a handicapped toilet wherever they take
me. Else somebody's gonna have a mess
to clean up.

Yep, a real threat there huh ???

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
You know you are to far in to conspiracy theories when:

Your internet blacks out. When it comes back on you immediately jump on ATS to see if anyone else has had it happen instead of calling your service provider to see if there are any known outages. LoL

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by S3ns1bl3

ummm
can u tell me where u think a thread like this belongs ??
In my OP I asked if others were having the same problem.
If everybody DID in fact have been booted like I had been,
would it have not fit into this forum ???

I still do not have an answer even from the ISP
of what caused the outages.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009
You know you are to far in to conspiracy theories when:

Your internet blacks out. When it comes back on you immediately jump on ATS to see if anyone else has had it happen instead of calling your service provider to see if there are any known outages. LoL

u must not have read my OP since
I stated that I did not want to call
the ISP if it had happened to others.

Once I found out it didn't happen
to everybody, then I did call. And they
still can't tell me what caused it.
So how can it be maintenance from
the ISP, if the customer support
knows nothing about it???

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Your right, they even look cheap, lol.
The other computer that kept internet
was wireless.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

In the computer help forum. You know that>

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Same here. C'mon. Drops are normal...they happen.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Once my internet went down about 50-60 times in one day and the last time it stayed off for 1 week ..... so my situation beats yours by a long shot ...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
reply to post by cushycrux

Same here. C'mon. Drops are normal...they happen.

the last drop I had
was 3 months ago
and not twice in one hr
and both 5 mins in duration.
that's not normal for me.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon2nite
In the computer help forum. You know that>

my computer was working fine
and all my lights on screen
and on modem were functioning
properly. Just no ping.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The way you PUT that..."my INTERNET went down" doesnt note the question of your modem for a minute didnt connect... just like cable shows stall once in a while.

HIGHLY doubtful that wherever you are...the entire WORLD WIDE WEB went down on you...while most of the rest of us were online and posting and doing our normal stuff...so it couldnt have been.

More than likely your (and just YOUR) server and anyone else near or on it, experienced a momentary interruption.

And about those long posts? Highlight them, hit COPY, open a word program and save it. That way if your internet LINK drops for a moment...you can sign back in, paste the post back on the page and GO!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Next time, try this. Call 3 friends, family, neighbors, a library somewhere, and ask if they are currently "on-line".

Dropping is normal sometimes for all of us. Timing, place, duration, cause etc will all vary. Nothing strange about it.

Now! If you contact all of the above...and THEY are down too...well then...that wouldnt be good at all.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

thanks for the tips
will keep them in mind

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Sure. I used to get dropped once in awhile after writing a really good and long post, and got tired of starting over. Just throughout your typing, open a blank word page and slap in on there until you post.

Heres another good one for that...ALWAYS type/compose your thread, post, reply or comment ON a blank page word file FIRST...and then when you are ready...paste it over and on the page and send. I started doing that quite awhile ago. Better than losing stuff!

I type it elsewhere and then put it on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join