It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mirrors: A gateway to another dimension? A radical scientific perspective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I'm not a very superstitious person on the aspects of mirrors and how they can bring you seven years of bad luck if you break one! But recently I have been thinking about mirrors at a more radical scientific angle: Could mirrors actually be a gateway to another dimension?
When you see yourself into the mirror, you see an exact opposite reflection of yourself. When you stare into your rear mirror you can see cars and the surroundings behind you.

What I'm trying to say that a mirror creates exact replication of things and surroundings in the imaginary perspective, meaning that although you can see yourself in the mirror, you are staring at an imaginary reflection version of you which you cannot really influence since you cannot enter that particular dimension.
Think about it, whole objects and surroundings can be fitted in 3D in one thin glass mirror. You look behind the mirror, you see no reflection - you place the mirror sideways in front of you and you see no reflection. But if you place the mirror at an angle to you with respect to the reflective surface only then will you see a reflection.
Conventional optics in physics states that the angle of incidence (ray of light coming in) is always equal to the angle of reflection (ray of light coming out). You can easily represent that in a diagram:

But if you shine any narrow beam of light in a dark room into a mirror, you will ofcourse see the ray is being reflected - but it would also seem the ray goes STRAIGHT into the mirror and that the reflective image has its OWN light source! Heres an image - I modified the diagram a bit:

By the way when I mean light I'm talking about photons. Photons have NO mass, NO charge and travel at the speed of light. Again, Think about it - how can something with NO mass even exist - infact how can we even see it! en.wikipedia.org...
So to conclude this thread I think that mirrors could actually be a medium to an "imaginary reflective parallel universe" - although I could be wrong! Still, I have no clue on how to enter that dimension so would like your thoughts on this!
edit on 21-3-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: no reason

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Interesting! Sometimes for some reason Ill just hold my hand on the mirror for a long time hoping that if I'm lucky It will suck me In and I wont have to deal with this world. :/ wishful thinking!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Interesting theory. I've thought along the same lines myself. For instance when you stand between two mirrors and the reflection goes on and on and on. Here's an interesting test: take a video camera connected directly to a monitor so that you can watch what you are filming on the monitor. Then point the camera at the monitor and you will get the same effect as you would facing two mirrors together......but if you move the camera slightly or zoom in to the monitor I found that it spirals out into what almost looks like a Fibonacci spiral. Perhaps there is something to your theory of alternate dimentions in the mirror......through the looking glass if you will.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Interesting idea....

What I'm trying to say that a mirror creates exact replication of things and surroundings in the imaginary perspective, meaning that although you can see yourself in the mirror, you are staring at an imaginary reflection version of you which you cannot really influence since you cannot enter that particular dimension.

Not so, you are looking at a reflection of your reality and can influence it by acting in your reality, the mirror doesn't house another reality, it is merely reflecting light. Now if you are looking at yourself in a mirror and you move your arm, but your reflecting fails to, then you might be onto something. But when staring at yourself in a mirror, you are seeing you.

Your beam of light example also kinda fails for me as when you are shining a light onto that mirror, it's reflecting, not going inside to another dimension, and all you need to do is look on the wall opposite the mirror to prove this.

It's still an interesting idea but I wouldn't really call it a scientific one, science can explain every aspect of it to you.

And really, while on the subject of perceived reality, you don't even see the world around you for what it is, you see only the light wave lengths your eyes have been designed to receive. You see the world in 2 separate 2 dimensional images (which are upside down) and your brain creates a 3 dimensional representation of that for you.

so potentially, you are interacting with alternate universes right now, but your senses have no method of showing you this.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze

[

By the way when I mean light I'm talking about photons. Photons have NO mass, NO charge and travel at the speed of light. Again, Think about it - how can something with NO mass even exist - infact how can we even see it! en.wikipedia.org...

All sorts of stuff with no mass exists, although most have a mass equivalency. A photon is pure energy. It sometimes displays certain characteristics of a particle, but has a duality of nature where it also acts like a wave. And you don't really see a photon. You detect it. When it enters the eye it transfers its energy, proportional to wavelength, to nerve cells that register that energy. Photons not only result in the perception of light, but also mediate, as guage bosons, radio, tv, x-rays and all the electromagnetic forces. For a really detailed explanation, brush up on your calculus and read Richard Feynman's book, Quantum Electrodynamics, or QED

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What I take from your post, is more-so that you think light or energy might exist in it's own dimension.. rather than mirrors being a window to another dimension. Mirrors reflect light back into your eyes, as any reflective surface would, but the image in the mirror would not exist without light.. Therefore it would be the light that is producing the mirror image, and not the reflective metallic surface itself.

2nd thought - The First dimension consists of lines, or connecting points. 2nd is vector images. 3rd, is 3D & 4th is 3D + time. What is it called when you have a 4D object that is 3D, but converts everything it "sees" into 2D? (sorry if that was worded poorly, but hopefully I got my message across)

3rd. What we "see" is not really there as it appears. What we see is what we call "reality", through our very small and biased perspective. Could mirrors reflect other unknown objects similar to photons that we just can't see? If we had another sense similar to sight, would mirrors show us something completely different?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Interesting theory, I don't really think it is correct, but I would love it if you proved me wrong.

One question for your journey though. Mirrors aren't the only thing that reflects light, in fact everything you see reflects light, that's why you see it. And as I look around my room, most things even create a reflection. Are these all gateways to other dimensions?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Mirrors are used a lot in ceremonial magic; they are very powerful tools in that respect.
I use one every single day for those reasons.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NerdGoddess

Careful what you wish for...

...or you may end up with Carson. That would be most unfortunate.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
reply to post by NerdGoddess

Careful what you wish for...

...or you may end up with Carson. That would be most unfortunate.

Holy crap that poster scared the frikking hell outta me

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Every kind of matter, animal, vegetable, mineral, reflects light,( light the word as we understand it)
Why is it that light would reflect off of matter,
We dont have to be able to have the power of sight to realise an object is there when it is bumped into, our other senses tell us this.
Why is it that among other reflective matter, glass in this instance would reflect anything at all.
Im not looking for answers of what constitutes a glass or mirror ie how to make glass/mirror but rather what it is on a scale of atoms etc Ok , why would/ does a mirror reflect light

Icanseeatoms.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
i think you need to stop staring into the mirror while your tripping, cos' thats my theory

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Hello first of all what if you guys saw actual photos of a demons hand coming out of a mirror and I have photos of ghost actually coming out.It started halloween night when I had a party of spirits come into my Fiance's rv. I have video of one of them actually talking to me. A lot of them didn't realize they were dead. I started seeing a story like a projector of peoples lives in the mirror the day after halloween. I was taking a nap in the RV to get peace because i have two year old. And Tv is off, Im looking in the mirror and the scene kept changing into other peoples lives.I have photo and video of the real grim reaper taking souls mostly woman and little girls! I HAVE SO MUCH! And we did a white noise recorder and This one spirit said people were murdered in it!He answered all of our questions with full sentence! We asked what they were doing there he Said "hiding from grim reaper" And "waiting to see if i go to heaven or hell". Now..... I know i have proof when i have a demons hand coming out of the mirror trying to grab my wrist. Now i want to know who i can show all this proof too.So maybe we sound crazy but pictures don't lie and footage! Would i get in trouble for proving this does the government already know about it? Oh and I found a way to see everything clearly u have to use multiple screens.Who should i contact to get my footage examined for authenticity. Mirrors do lead to another dimension and i will prove it!
Heaven and hell is real.

top topics

join